• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova copies The Jeff Ash Brainwave

I dye discs but I've never done a 'brainwave' style dye
I was just about to send some stuff (Innova) to him to be dyed
Then I read his FB post about his new stance towards Innova, and I was bummed
Then I decided 'Oh well I will learn that method and dye them myself' and I already have my own unique style as well
then I thought 'way to go Jeff, your reaction is having the effect of taking away your business and promoting more DIY, which may not be what he really wants for his own business' sake'
He has now gone back on his word and says he WILL dye Innova...but I've already decided to not send him my innova stuff. I don't want an angry guy dyeing my stuff... I want a posi vibe to translate onto the dye

Last edited:
I don't feel sorry for him. Would it have been cool if Innova would have given him a shout out for being the inspiration behind these? Yes. But saying they shouldn't make dyes that look like this because it's "his" technique is dumb. You can't sell dyes and post them online and expect that no one will try to copy your techniques and sell them.

No matter how hard Innova tries, they still won't master the technique as well as Jeff. I doubt anyone who was going to have Jeff dye a disc is now going to be like "Well, Innova's are just as good, I'll buy one of those instead."

This was posted by Jeff Ash on the Innova Only Collectors page on Facebook.
Jeff Ash
5 hrs

My business has always been about enhancing and enriching the lives of my customers through my art- no matter what kind of disc they throw. My customers are who pay my bills and clothe and feed me- not the disc golf companies. I strive constantly to keep my customers happy and to challenge myself to keep improving my craft. Excluding Innova serves no purpose other than disappointing my friends and customers who throw Innova discs. I don't have to agree with decisions that Innova makes in order to dye their plastic. My feelings about their decision to sell discs that clearly imitate my Brainwave designs have not changed. My decision to NOT dye their plastic has. I WILL dye Innova plastic. I am a man who takes great pride in honoring his word and to go against what I publicly stated a few hours ago is not a decision that I take lightly. I ask those of you who stood by my side last night and this morning to please remain there. I hope and pray for your continued support and understanding.

Hmmm. Maybe he should focus on others areas of income to "clothe and feed" him instead of dying freakin frisbees.

Imagine how pissed the first guy who came up with tye-dye is.

He probably boycotted hippies.

The fact of the matter is, Innova didn't do anything except sell discs. The Dyes are done outside of the Innova walls by an individual. I believe it is still Scott Papa who dyes them for both Innova and Discraft. So he'll see more of this "style" pop up at both places. It's unfortunate that people blame Innova or any company for that matter. It's just business. I like Jeff and I hope he continues to succeed. That being said, don't hate the player, hate the game.

Hmmm. Maybe he should focus on others areas of income to "clothe and feed" him instead of dying freakin frisbees.

he tried that and ended up in a wee bit of legal trouble

Also, when did he win worlds? I saw something saying 2003, but checked pdga and it says he came in 45th

Why/how is it anybody's bidniss how another person makes their living... as long as it is legal.

Regardless, this is HIS actual business. Of course he is going to have input on somebody (especially corporate) ripping off his product/technique.

You don't see Apple just roll over when certain aspects of design are copied.

I wonder how Innova would feel if somebody tried to imitate the Roc, Teebird, or Firebird. They would probably be whining and crying all over facebook.

Now you can decide if you want a schwag rip off dye on a disc that might not be your first pick, or get a primo brainwave on a disc you actually hand chose.

first world problems.

I wonder how Innova would feel if somebody tried to imitate the Roc, Teebird, or Firebird. They would probably be whining and crying all over facebook.
Isn't that what new discs are? They're all imitations or slight variations of original molds innova, Discraft, or anyone made first. For example an Aviar is basically the same thing as a warlock, but you don't see either company griping back and forth about "stealing a design". That's just how the world works, we imitate something that works well or we try to tweak something that works well so that it will work great. I'm convinced almost nothing can be invented any more it all just turns into innovation.

Isn't that what new discs are? They're all imitations or slight variations of original molds innova, Discraft, or anyone made first. For example an Aviar is basically the same thing as a warlock, but you don't see either company griping back and forth about "stealing a design". That's just how the world works, we imitate something that works well or we try to tweak something that works well so that it will work great. I'm convinced almost nothing can be invented any more it all just turns into innovation.
WOOOOOOOOOSH

Now you can decide if you want a schwag rip off dye on a disc that might not be your first pick, or get a primo brainwave on a disc you actually hand chose.

first world problems.
Incoming price increase on 'pre arrest' brainwave dyes on Innova discs.

Why/how is it anybody's bidniss how another person makes their living... as long as it is legal.

Regardless, this is HIS actual business. Of course he is going to have input on somebody (especially corporate) ripping off his product/technique.

You don't see Apple just roll over when certain aspects of design are copied.

Well, they also have copyrights, patents, etc they can enforce. Does Jeff? If not, tough ****.

And innova has a history of suing other manufacturers.

This is a joke right?

Wasp and Ghost = Roc

Rival = Teebird

Enemy = Firebird

they don't care.

Latest posts