• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] innova hybrid plastics

1hardHucker

I have seen a few star discs that claim to be hybrids. Is this just because they "look" like the champion line, or is the plastic really a hybrid? Are they worth more than the same disc in normal star plastic?

Attachments

• 140.jpg
    140.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 155
From what I understand Star plastic is actually Pro and Champ mixed and when the proportions change, such as a higher ratio of Champ to Star then you get whats known as "Champy Star" discs. Not necessarily worth any more but definitely cool looking.

some people love champy star plastic. Depending on the mixture it can make a huge difference in stability and durability. I believe, I could be wrong but I believe ESP is a combination of X and Z plastics and there was a first run of some mold (Nukes?) that people hated because it had to much X in it. And I have a Star TL that has a noticeable amount of Pro plastic in it and it beat in waaaaaay faster than other stars I've had.

Yeah, a bunch of people got ticked at the first run Nukes because there was more X that Z plastic. Made the disc not hold up as well as normal ESP plastic, but makes for a great beat-in long distance thrower. It was much softer than normal ESP, but after playing with an X Nuke for a while there is still definately a big difference.

I'm a sucker for the "champy-star" discs...hence the sig. It's more difficult to tell just by inspection on higher speed discs just because the flight plate is already thin, making them a little translucent in the light. I was unaware that it really changed the stability of the disc, I just think they look/feel great. They aren't really worth anything extra...maybe a couple bucks to the right buyer. And for some reason I've only ever seen them in red or blue.

I have a pro wraith that feels like star and never beats or takes damage.

Glad I found this, I have a Star Gator that is Champy-Star. Looks just like the Boss in the picture, was wondering what the deal was. Thanks for the explanation.

Not innova, but Lat64 does this - mixes GL and Opto line. Solid color gloptos are translucent kinda like that first pic, and have a great feel to them. The metallic gloptos with the characteristic goldline swirls are some of the most beautiful discs I've ever seen. There are pics in the "Flow" thread somewhere.

durability and grip is what you pay for.

champ is durability

pro/DX is grip

star is both

We also talked about these Boss's last year. Rather than repeat my comments , I will just "Prerube" this thread.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16806&highlight=char
and add some new insight.

I dont think this is hybrid, so much as just lazy disc makers.
There is way more Champion plastic in these Boss's than Pro. They are less gummy and grippy than the regular opaque Star plastic mix.
Mine are LESS stable than regular thick opaque Star discs.

I was talking to my local dealer on Saturday about Innova Q.C.
The new orange Proto Wedge I have has the stamp noticeably off center, we both commented on the fact that Innova doesnt have a laser centering device, but does these by hand.
They also seem to have ALOT of X outs.
Innova still seems to function like a small business based in Daves basement, even with the factories and 30 years of experience.
This is not NASA. :D

I freaking love the so called "Hybrid" blends, I snag up everyone I can find. Managed to find quite a number of Star Bosses that would be labled "Hybrid". They're just awesome.

When a 160 dollar drum of plastic will yeild 150 discs give or take that you sell from 5-11 dollars to retailers do you really think they care too too much about screwing up a few?

If Star is a mix of champ and a cheaper plastic shouldn't the cost of star be lower since the cost of materials is lower.

No because they're still paying the cost of both materials to create this new blend. More often than not Star is only $5-7 more than Champ. When you factor in the cost of DX it ends up being about the same...

No because they're still paying the cost of both materials to create this new blend. More often than not Star is only $5-7 more than Champ. When you factor in the cost of DX it ends up being about the same...

That's a little bit of fuzzy reasoning, they wouldn't use 10 discs worth of champ and 10 discs worth of pro to make 10 star discs, they'd use a mix that adds up to 10 discs worth. The reason it costs more is because it takes extra work to mix it, and people like it so they'll pay more for it. Also, I've never seen star cost $5-7 more than champ, I usually see champ for 11ish and star for 13ish.

^^

local shop must be rippin us off then... DGC is just a couple bucks difference. But my reasoning wasn't bad, it was my explanation. I was basically meaning what you said but I neglected to mention the adding process...