• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP/Axiom plastic: Plasma vs. Neutron vs. Fission

IR8300

Any care to comment on the desirability of these 3 plastics?

Asking because my discs that were Plasma, started out great, but were superseded by first a disc in Neutron plastic, then received one in Fission by joining the PDGA. And when I was shopping for a new putter, than came in Neutron Soft plastic, I jumped on it (given my experience with a disc in Neutron plastic).

Fission often starts bit more overstable, then beats in somewhat faster than the other premium plastics.
My plasma, neutron and soft neutron discs have stayed pretty much the same over the years.

Well some fission starts out less stable like the wave. In order of stability with a wave it's: fission, plasma, neutron, cosmic neutron. With something like an envy: electron is straighest by a large margin, fission and soft neutron turn a bit more but fade back a Lil more, proton is the straightest but proton, plasma and Neutron all start off similar, neutron beats into a laser, plasma beats in as well but keeps that hint of fade.

Last edited:
That's my experience with the Wave, I got a MVP Open 172 Fission in the '22 Gyropalooza box last year…was my go to driver for some time and now will hyzer-flip and turn until touchdown.

Regarding the impact of plastic on the Stability attribute, which disc model has a major impact. IOW, one plastic might be the optimal choice for one disc model, but that same plastic would be less optimal for another disc model ... maybe even the worst choice?

Background, what prompted my query: Someone posted a link about different plastics:
Disc Golf Plastics
But despite some plastics being labeled as "Premium", wasn't convinced that for any given disc/player combo, that premium plastics were always the best choice. (HOPEFULLY, I'm starting a war.)

Hard to say what's optimal. I like my old PP plasma envy but not as in love with new plasma. The old stuff kept the most consistent grip with the least difference in stability with temperature changes (summer or winter).

As far as most radically different between discs the old tesla runs were nuts. Fission understable, neutron was stable and plasma was a meathook. Now plasma is the least stable depending on which run of fission you ended up with it ranges from slightly under stable to meathook. So forget about model to model haha, I think they are sorting it out better and figuring out the new production plant now.

Neutron soft is pretty spectacular,if you can find it on a disc you want (for me, that's an Uplink).
Yeah that's my favourite uplink plastic...180g soft uplinks just hum down the fairway but I like all 3 for different reasons. The soft gave it just that hint of stability to fight back out even after a couple months usage. The uplink is a good example of plastic differences the neutron does a cool late breaking anhyzer turn when broken in, the soft is straighter more stable, eclipse is kinda beefy for an uplink.

Yeah that's my favourite uplink plastic...180g soft uplinks just hum down the fairway but I like all 3 for different reasons. The soft gave it just that hint of stability to fight back out even after a couple months usage. The uplink is a good example of plastic differences the neutron does a cool late breaking anhyzer turn when broken in, the soft is straighter more stable, eclipse is kinda beefy for an uplink.
@IR8300 ^^^^ what he said.

I don't have experience with neutron soft other than in the Uplink, but in that case, I found it to be just a bit more reliably stable than plain neutron. That's important for me with the Uplink, which is a staple in my bag. That extra touch of stability comes in handy downhill, slight headwind, or when I want a touch of finish.

The eclipse Uplink has never really done it for me, and while I bag several Hexes, there's a pretty big slot between the neutron Uplink and any Hex.

Although I've tried a few things to fill that gap (Piwakawaka, Echo, Lobster, Comet, Mana, and I'll likely try a Detour), my ideal set up for mids would just be a range of Hexes and Uplinks.

Long story, but that's why I like the soft neutron Uplink.

Latest posts