• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Lion

ghostofdabayou

Bogey Member
Does anyone else here rely on an Innova Lion? I primarily use the Lion for anhyzer forehands and especially when I am trying to give it a run and throw in an approach shot. Its been very useful for technical approach shots in the woods where I need to the disc to finish left and don't wanna take my eyes off of the gap (such as in a backhand hyzer).

Also of note, I do use an Innova Gator when throwing into a headwind and when I need a flex shot.

Does anyone else here rely on an Innova Lion? I primarily use the Lion for anhyzer forehands and especially when I am trying to give it a run and throw in an approach shot. Its been very useful for technical approach shots in the woods where I need to the disc to finish left and don't wanna take my eyes off of the gap (such as in a backhand hyzer).

Also of note, I do use an Innova Gator when throwing into a headwind and when I need a flex shot.

I use the Predecessor the Shark 3 for a midrange, pissed this disc has bumped that off the Innova mold list thanks to how much Dave D is in love with the mold. :thmbdown:

I think though I could use the Lion as long as the mold's wing shape is not uncomfortable like a ROC, a Bead is not an issue for discs.

Just checked it out, but I don't see anyone really talking about the Lion there except for the disc specs? Correct me if I'm wrong? I'm more interested in flight path and personal preferences with it. Thank you for forwarding the thread as well!

I got a few with my latest Zen series Lion stamp... it's a fun disc for sure. For me it flies like a Rancho Roc with less fade. I only have Champs but very interested to see if the glide increases in a different plastic.

Lion

For me the Lion flies like a Roc3, but has more of a VRoc rim. Nice flier, but I'm not crazy about the rim.

I don't really know why Innova introduced the Lion. Its way too similar to all the Roc variants.

I won't call it a bad mold, but it seems redundant.

I have a super light one I pair with a Shark3. still trying to figure it out, but making some shots with it for sure.

For me the Lion flies like a Roc3, but has more of a VRoc rim. Nice flier, but I'm not crazy about the rim.

I don't really know why Innova introduced the Lion. Its way too similar to all the Roc variants.

Then Innova dropped a mold that was a less floating putter like glide Shark in the 3 top for it. Then Innova did go further before the Shark 3 was dropped and stopped the 3 top Shark in Star for some reason making it so people had to buy the Champion. I did get 2 backup discs for my Champion Shark 3 from the F2 in the weight I wanted but the discs were micro domed the way some DX Shark mold up due to production/constancy issues with the dome in the DX plastic.

I wonder if this new mold was cost effective? I mean the Shark 3 was just an older mold modified during production thus saving money for the disc design. Now people who want a Shark like disc or even a no bead midrange that is Shark like but not the dome of a Shark, for a better less putter style glide midrange they have one less choice for a mold.

How a DX Lion fly compared to a DX VRoc?

(yes I read every thread I'm curious if anyone else has something new to offer)

If I were named Dave D, I know I would obsess over my failed experiments. "I just know if I got that rim right the VRoc would really catch fire! This time we've struck gold for sure, let's just call it something aggressive and drop the 'V'"

If I were named Dave D, I know I would obsess over my failed experiments. "I just know if I got that rim right the VRoc would really catch fire! This time we've struck gold for sure, let's just call it something aggressive and drop the 'V'"

Yeah. I have 1 Lion, and the first thing I thought when I held it for the first time was VRoc. The Lion is a decent mid, but there are already several other molds that are super similar.

I definitely am not crazy about that VRoc rim though. I much prefer a Roc3 type rim.

Is Sexton throwing the Lion? I know GG throws the Wombat3. I'm just trying to think what Honda discs pro's are throwing.

As far as molds we got?

Manta, Lion, Wombat/3, VRoc. Did I miss any?

I have a couple DX Lion's, really love the feel of them but even brand new I don't think their flight numbers are accurate. If I put a decent amount of power on these they're very straight with minimal fade, but I can get some great distance from them. Throwing these into a 10+ mph headwind and they flatten quickly and start turning. I was hoping they would be a little less glidey MD2 based on the numbers but not the case in DX plastic, I would assume in star plastic these are a bit more overstable.

Is Sexton throwing the Lion? I know GG throws the Wombat3. I'm just trying to think what Honda discs pro's are throwing.

As far as molds we got?

Manta, Lion, Wombat/3, VRoc. Did I miss any?

Last in the bag, it was like a Lion, a Rancho Roc, and like a Mako3 or something. It's actually hilarious the extent to which most pros don't seem to sweat their setup too much, and just roll with what feels right moment to moment. Also kind of droll to me is that GG, with possibly the most raw power on tour (I suspect that his throwing style may be putting extra RPMs on the disc as opposed to the lanky guys), is bagging Sonics and Wombats. Wombat(3) by the way takes the cake for me as maybe the worst hand feel I've ever encountered. Sharp convex rim with a big bead? puke

Last edited:
halo lions are interesting. found a beat in one from 2020 WNC. pretty straight and easy to throw. picked it up and thought it was a wombat but when i threw it its actually easy to throw and holds up to torque. the gg halo wombat is pretty straight and easy too, but this is much easier and not quite as deep.

Hand feel and flight they remind me somewhat of of a slightly more os Spider.

I think The Lion is a Shark 3 with a bead or that wombat-type rim. Lion has the same flight numbers as the Shark 3. The Shark 3 is out of production. I have not thrown a Shark 3 but I have a champion lion and I had a star Lion but, someone liked it more than I did. My champ lion is a bit more over-stable. The Star was a little less. If you over torq it will turn over like a Mako 3 will. It's a decent disc. Currently not bagging it because another disc has its slot.

Don't mean to necro a thread but I feel like the Lion is completely underrated. I picked one up because it looked too cool (blue stock champ with a pink halo line in the rim ..?!!) and realized it should fit between my aurora and solstice perfectly. Aurora is beat up to the point where it drifts on flat shots without coming back and the solstice fades or fights out of anhyzer. So the Lion has been really good at Buzzz shots, flat straight easy and long enough. Don't people talk about the "mythical 5/5/0/2" mid? I swear this is it.

Well my drive hit a branch and flew left into the pond yesterday. I think it's a great disc but interchangeable enough with a roc3 that I won't buy more.