• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] innova Pro plastic

nate_0198

I have never used a pro disc. What would you describle the plastic to be most similar to?
-lightning discs plastic
-discraft pro d
-Innova's old DX plastic
-innova champion plastic

I am trying to decide whether to get a pro or dx roc. I had a dx but it was a bit heavy for my taste. My what did innova do to it's DX plastic, the old one was more durable grippy and broke in really well. I hit a tree with the new dx plastic and it completely creased, it would have just been a decent nic on the old dx.

Innova Pro is most like Discraft Elite X only slightly grippier. Pretty much same durability as X (in between DX and Star). IMO of course.

I have never used a pro disc. What would you describle the plastic to be most similar to?
-lightning discs plastic
-discraft pro d
-Innova's old DX plastic
-innova champion plastic

I am trying to decide whether to get a pro or dx roc. I had a dx but it was a bit heavy for my taste. My what did innova do to it's DX plastic, the old one was more durable grippy and broke in really well. I hit a tree with the new dx plastic and it completely creased, it would have just been a decent nic on the old dx.

Innova Pro is most like Discraft Elite X only slightly grippier. Pretty much same durability as X (in between DX and Star). IMO of course.
What norcaldisc said is 100% true, except you are talking about Rocs and Rocs are not made in Pro plastic per se. KC Rocs are made of a DX/Pro hybrid plastic that is going to feel like a harder, slicker DX.

What norcaldisc said is 100% true, except you are talking about Rocs and Rocs are not made in Pro plastic per se. KC Rocs are made of a DX/Pro hybrid plastic that is going to feel like a harder, slicker DX.
Aren't the Worlds Fundraiser Rocs made out of Pro, or is that only certain years?

I'd recommend either DX or KC Pro, I'd avoid the Worlds Fundraier Rocs.

I have no experience with Rocs specifically, but what norcaldisc said is right on in general. Plastic can feel different between types of discs. For example: champ spiders always seemed really soft to me, while most of the drivers are really firm.

The KC Pro Roc, 12x which is what is on shelves now, is going to feel very much like DX - except that it is more durable. This, and garden-variety DX are the only Rocs available at retail. You can, however, find SE Rocs (a little like FLX), Star Rocs and even Champ Rocs on ebay and at some online retailers. Be prepared to dish out serious cash for these, if you're not very patient for deals.
The Innova main page (innovadiscs.com) says you can buy Star Rocs for $17.99 plus shipping. This is a TREMENDOUS deal!!!!!!!!!
I won't get into the diffrences between Ontario, Rancho and San Marino molds. There are plenty of threads out there for that (and Google, too).

I really like Pro plastic. It's more durable than DX and has good grip - for me at least. I like the grip way better than star especially with a Wraith. Star Wraith just slips out of my hands too easily while the Pro has more grip and allows a cleaner release.

Get a DX Roc to start that is the best plastic for you to get used to and learn the disc. Then once you can use your Roc for almost every kind of shot then you can start think about trying the KC Pro Roc.

As a general rule, I like the Innova Pro discs. They have a nice grippy feel and are reasonably durable for the price. When it comes to Rocs though, I do not like the KC Pros. They feel way too slick for my liking. If you are deciding between a regular DX Roc and the KC Pro Roc, I would tell you to go with the DX Roc. If you are open to other Roc options, I would recommend the Super Rocs sold as Am Worlds fundraisers. They are more similar to the typical Innova Pro material. Very grippy. Only drawback is having to do some hunting to find them. One last thing, I just got one of the USDGC Star Rocs that are being sold on the Innova website and they are very gummy. I can't believe how soft the Star plastic is with these Rocs. Debating whether or not to put it on the wall or throw it.