• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

I agree. I love the Tern too, but it and the Shryke are definitely too similar to need to bag both. The Shryke just flies further, period.

Both the Tern and the Shryke are about as understable a disc as I'd ever bag. I don't need/want anything flippier than them.
Totally agree though my home course is 1200' above sea level and understable discs are essential. My lucid Renegade is beat to hell and my go-to for laser hyzer-flip tunnel shots. I took it to a VA Beach course and it was worthlessly flippy.

Just ordered a champ 175 Shryke, first disc I've bought since around March. I cannot freaking wait.

I caved and bought a max weight Champ Shryke yesterday. I was throwing beat Destoyers for that slot, getting around 430ft or so, but the Shryke beat them by 20ft virtually every time. Little bit of hyzer, mine flips to flat then turns just a hair (late in flight too. Anyone else see this?) and fades forward. I also found it really easy to control for how fast it is. Think I'll keep Destoyers in the bag for wind or fade shots and have Shrykes as the compliment. Solid freaking disc.

The Shryke is a tick faster than a Destroyer, glides better, and is slightly less stable. I agree its longer. Easily so for me.

OK so in the department of warp speed discs with a ton of glide to squeeze out distance for lower-armspeed players, we have:

The Shryke, the Tern, the Daedelus, the Mystere, maybe a TD, a mamba, an aries, and the DDX. EDIT: it should be noted that I did a search only for stuff manuf by Innova - I know some Swedish plastic has high glide too, along with a smattering of offerings from other companies.

So which one is going to forgive lower armspeed and just go the farthest? I haven't tried anything Millennium, but I've been really impressed by the distance potential of the Tern in the past, as well as the DDX.

I max around 300 and my longest discs are Terns, Kings, and Destiny's. I've been thinking about trying a Shryke but haven't yet. I'd love to hear a comparison between a Shryke and Destiny if anyone has thrown both.

Tern is the champ of squeezing out distance. You Might have to mess around with weights and plastics. If you can't get maxed out flight, turn to the right with a touch of comeback, from a mid 160s Star Tern, then Mamba and/or Aries will be it. Mystere is one of the most disappointing molds I've ever thrown. The shape of the wings seems right and looks to be in the family of Valk/Mamba/Tern, but it just doesn't fly that far for me. Hell, my Falchions are longer.

I think you have to max out Terns before a Shryke will add any distance at all. I just had one of my longest flat ground throws of my life with an Echo Star Tern.

Tern is the champ of squeezing out distance. You Might have to mess around with weights and plastics. If you can't get maxed out flight, turn to the right with a touch of comeback, from a mid 160s Star Tern, then Mamba and/or Aries will be it. Mystere is one of the most disappointing molds I've ever thrown. The shape of the wings seems right and looks to be in the family of Valk/Mamba/Tern, but it just doesn't fly that far for me. Hell, my Falchions are longer.

I think you have to max out Terns before a Shryke will add any distance at all. I just had one of my longest flat ground throws of my life with an Echo Star Tern.

Right on, based on the descriptions of Shrykes it seems like people who have already started throwing pro destros and star wraiths, etc are able to squeeze out a little extra D from 400 to 420 or so. Not the case for me ;)

For anyone else wondering the same thing, I'll share my experience - I have shelved my faster drivers for now, but for a while there all my cheater distance came from a Tern lineup:

168g C DDX
168g JL Tern
168g Star Tern
162g Mamba

I found that I could get my maximum distance with surprising control out of Terns. And at this point it sounds like nothing else really comes close as far as a combination of cheater distance and control. Like literally, I have tried all manner of blizzard plastic, Vulcans, whatever, and nothing flies like a 160s g Tern.

I would agree that for a slower arm, a Tern is going to get you more distance than a Shryke. Most of the Star/GStar Shrykes I've thrown fly like a worn in Destroyer (and the champs even a bit more stable). So at ~400 feet, they're flying something like -2, 2 or -3, 2. They require some power to get them up to speed, so if you're only throwing 300 feet, I'm guessing they're going to fly more like -0.5, 2.5 or even 0, 3. My experience is that Terns in general are a bit less stable across the board and don't require quite as much power to get up to speed. I know several older players with slower arms that use Star and GStar Terns as their go to distance drivers.

I would agree that for a slower arm, a Tern is going to get you more distance than a Shryke. Most of the Star/GStar Shrykes I've thrown fly like a worn in Destroyer (and the champs even a bit more stable). So at ~400 feet, they're flying something like -2, 2 or -3, 2. They require some power to get them up to speed, so if you're only throwing 300 feet, I'm guessing they're going to fly more like -0.5, 2.5 or even 0, 3. My experience is that Terns in general are a bit less stable across the board and don't require quite as much power to get up to speed. I know several older players with slower arms that use Star and GStar Terns as their go to distance drivers.

I throw in that 400' range, but at significant altitude ~4500' the fresh-ish star Shrykes I have tried fly like the -0.5/2.5 you reference. They fly like a Gstar Destroyer or mild Destroyer/fast Wraith. They definitely feel like they want to open up, and I would love to try one that is worked in a bit more so the fade is delayed. But I imagine at my power/altitude combo I'm experiencing the flight path that someone who throws about 350' would see. At this range it's not a max-D driver, again I need to try one that is worked in, but it's definitely an easy to control consistent golf shot distance driver. Enough hyzer finish that you can trust it on flat or mild hyzers, but enough carry that you'd throw it on a lot of shots that aren't just wide open hyzer flip crushes. The thing is, I can throw a Teebird on a tighter line/less fade nearly as far, and a worked in Destroyer farther. Again, I need to try it at sea level or a beat in version because I have no doubt these things go super far for most people...I really see its potential but haven't got to try it in the right situation.

Last edited:

Totally agree with every bit of this, both the positive comments about the Tern, and the total disappointment with the Mystere.

OK so in the department of warp speed discs with a ton of glide to squeeze out distance for lower-armspeed players, we have:

The Shryke, the Tern, the Daedelus, the Mystere, maybe a TD, a mamba, an aries, and the DDX. EDIT: it should be noted that I did a search only for stuff manuf by Innova - I know some Swedish plastic has high glide too, along with a smattering of offerings from other companies.

So which one is going to forgive lower armspeed and just go the farthest? I haven't tried anything Millennium, but I've been really impressed by the distance potential of the Tern in the past, as well as the DDX.

Shryke for sure.

The Daedalus sounds better than it is. I haven't had a ton of luck with it. IMO the Shryke is a far better driver in every regard. The Mamba could work for you, but it can be erratically flippy. Go heavy if you get one.

I think the Tern or Shryke are Innova's most forgiving distance discs for small arms. They're fast, but glide well enough to squeeze out every foot possible. I'd avoid the Daedalus. Its a squirly disc and IMO doesn't fly as far as it should based on the numbers it was assigned. The Mamba could work too, but even at low speed its erratic.

My gstar is my new go-to distance driver. I can't believe how far this thing glides. Also can't believe it's faster yet more controllable than my Terns. What an amazing disc, seriously.

My gstar is my new go-to distance driver. I can't believe how far this thing glides. Also can't believe it's faster yet more controllable than my Terns. What an amazing disc, seriously.

I know. Its like they took an already very satisfactory disc (Tern) and refined it even more to create the Shryke. The Shryke really is one of (if not the) best distance disc on the market right now.

For a speed 13 disc its surprisingly throwable.

I know. Its like they took an already very satisfactory disc (Tern) and refined it even more to create the Shryke. The Shryke really is one of (if not the) best distance disc on the market right now.

For a speed 13 disc its surprisingly throwable.

I just wish the Shryke was as shallow as the Tern...

The depth is a pretty happy medium imo. Right between a tern and a ds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the good thing about Innova overlap. You have two discs (three is you include the DDx) that do basically the same thing, but feel different enough that they can accommodate players with different feel needs.

Latest posts