• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

Achieved a personal best on distance at the practice field today with a 175 G* Shryke. I had it up against a bunch of other similar discs, but the Shryke took home the title. My max distance is around 450' and I figure I did at least that twice in a row with the Shryke. A couple other throws were just shy of that. Slight hyzerflip bombs. The shots didn't even have any S curve to them. Glidey lasers.

At max weight the Shryke is great because it can handle hard, max power tosses without flipping. I gave it just a bit of hyzer and off it went. IMO this is the disc the Daedalus should have been. For me the Shryke is a far, far better mold. The glide is incredible. Very minimal low speed fade too. It comes down straight and gradually. No dump fade.

Yowzers, this thread is languishing. Did I show up too late to the Shryke party??

Bought a glow champ last night for funsies. I've been throwing a CG Destro that's flat and pretty dang OS, so the Shryke was a nice option to have a somewhat flippy counterpart fresh out of the box.

I found the Shryke to be pretty user friendly for a warp speed driver. If you get it nose up it'll stall and fade hard, but that comes with the territory. However, getting clean power over the top of it, it can really go a long ways on a low line. Also had some nice forward skips. I did manage to birdie 2 holes that I hadn't gotten yet this winter: one a long slightly uphill FH tunnel shot and the other a big glidey BH hyzer. I didn't experience any turn-and-burns, but those might start to be a factor as it breaks in.

Maybe the nicest thing about the Shryke is it can power down gracefully. I feel like at 70% power it flew like the numbers were 10/5/-1/2.5, which really fits a workhorse driver slot that's been missing from my glow bag until now. Sure, it's probably touchier than a true control driver would be in that role. Still nice to get that range of options from a disc that also has long bomb distance potential.

Speaking of which, I want to get out on the practice field and see what the Shryke can really do. I feel like it should push into the 360-400' range, which is as far as anything for me.

Yeah, I immediately started hitting new personal bests in distance once I figured out exactly how to rip the Shryke. Its a pretty mellow disc. I'll flip if you torque it too hard, but it can handle a surprising amount of arm and stay steady.

Definitely take it to the practice field and put it up against all your other longest disc. I'd be surprised if the Shryke doesn't beat them all.

Well, I just left the practice field where I threw my longest backhand ever with the Shryke. It was 14 paces past Wraiths and Destroyers.

For reference, I threw Wraiths and Destroyers to within a few paces of each other and the longest few were right around 128 paces. The Shryke was at 142 paces.

Well, I just left the practice field where I threw my longest backhand ever with the Shryke. It was 14 paces past Wraiths and Destroyers.

For reference, I threw Wraiths and Destroyers to within a few paces of each other and the longest few were right around 128 paces. The Shryke was at 142 paces.

Only thing I've thrown recently that will hang with a Shryke is the Prodigy D3. Similar flights. The D3 is absolutely legit. It was some random disc I found in a lake. I've thrown 5 different Shrykes (4 G* and 1 star). They all fly more or less the same. I'm in awe of what the mold can do. I just recently started bagging one of them and its tearing up my usual course with distances I haven't achieved there before.

I had kinda decided to put away anything past 9/10 speed for the winter.......but then I went by PIAS since l only had one more disc before my free one. I grabbed a very lightly beat 173g Champ Shryke that's embossed and the plastic is slightly pearly with decent grip. Definitely not jolly launcher type plastic.

Anybody throwing these new embossed champions?

Paid 8 bucks for it and grabbed a new champ glow FB for my free disc. I know I'll like at least one of them and I can still disc down....after I field throw this Shryke a little.

I'm new to the Shryke love train. As a masters age player formerly maxing out at about 340', I am loving some really light star Shryke's. My 158g one is great for tailwind and big anhyzers that fight out of the turn at the end. The 163g one is my go to distance driver. It flips up to straight and stays that way for a long time before a gentle left forward finish. It does not like to go too high in the air. The key is a nice smooth motion. Can't use them into a headwind. But now I can get that 340 throw on a nice low hyzer flip shot rather than needing a big s turn. Much more accurate and easy distance. Also getting good hyzer flip to right finish forehands and i have a terrible forehand game.

I tried a 175g star and a 172 Champ. Both flew like completely different discs - unless there was a headwind. They went straight, maybe a little turn, then predictable left fade. Not nearly the distance I got with the light star ones. Probably too much disc for me really. I would probably have dismissed the disc as nothing I need if I hadn't gotten the light ones first. I am thinking about finding a 166-8g G* because I like the g* feel and something that flipped up and then finished left a little more would be useful.

Shryke

Threw my first champion Shryke today (thrown 4 G*s and 1 star). Unreal. Domey with a ton of glide. 165 g. Thrown slightly hyzer it pops up flat and bombs. Some high speed turn, but it resisted flipping over entirely (which I love). I was able to carve out some impressive hyzerflip bombs with it in the 440' range. Not my longest throws ever, but I was also throwing into a breeze.

I throw in the field often, with various long distance drivers. In all the stuff I bring out there, the Shryke continually leads the pack in terms of sheer distance. Nothing can touch it.

I can't say the Shryke works in all conditions, but for calm or slightly downwind conditions it might be the longest thing I've thrown. I've found that I can't do much with it trying to throw into headwinds, no matter how much I hyzer it. Flips over and eats ground.

Threw my first champion Shryke today (thrown 4 G*s and 1 star). Unreal. Domey with a ton of glide. 165 g. Thrown slightly hyzer it pops up flat and bombs. Some high speed turn, but it resisted flipping over entirely (which I love). I was able to carve out some impressive hyzerflip bombs with it in the 440' range. Not my longest throws ever, but I was also throwing into a breeze.

I throw in the field often, with various long distance drivers. In all the stuff I bring out there, the Shryke continually leads the pack in terms of sheer distance. Nothing can touch it.

I can't say the Shryke works in all conditions, but for calm or slightly downwind conditions it might be the longest thing I've thrown. I've found that I can't do much with it trying to throw into headwinds, no matter how much I hyzer it. Flips over and eats ground.

Did you find the Champ Shryke to be more stable than the Star Shryke? Less? About the same?

Did you find the Champ Shryke to be more stable than the Star Shryke? Less? About the same?

About the same. Of the 6 Shrykes I've thrown, only one of the G*s was different. It was more stable than the others.

The mold seems pretty consistent as far as I'm concerned. They have some high speed turn, but won't flip over all the way unless you force it.

This might be the only mold I've ever seen that flies basically the same across 3 different plastics. The champion Shryke is a great disc. It felt good in my hand and I really enjoyed hammering on it to see what it had. It definitely didn't disappoint.

About the same. Of the 6 Shrykes I've thrown, only one of the G*s was different. It was more stable than the others.

The mold seems pretty consistent as far as I'm concerned. They have some high speed turn, but won't flip over all the way unless you force it.

This might be the only mold I've ever seen that flies basically the same across 3 different plastics. The champion Shryke is a great disc. It felt good in my hand and I really enjoyed hammering on it to see what it had. It definitely didn't disappoint.

I had a Champ Shryke; it was about the same as my Star Shryke. Unfortunately, a gust of wind took it into the lake, and I never got it back. I went to the Lucid Sheriff for my headwinds disc, so I didn't get another Star Shryke. I might try another one down the line.

This is one of the discs that Innova gives different flight numbers in Champ (13/6/-1/2 vs. 13/6/-2/2 in Star, IIRC). My own experience, so far, is that the different numbers fit. This is with two 167g Champs and a 158g Star.

I've found Champ to be a little more stable than Star or GStar as well. I should say though that the Stars I've thrown have also been slightly more understable than all but one of the GStars I've thrown (I have a first run GStar which is the most understable Shryke I own). I'd put the order from most to least stable:

Champion
GStar
Star

Having looked through some stacks of Shrykes in stores before though, if you look at the PLH, you can definitely find some freak overstable or understable ones just like any high speed driver mold.

This is one of the discs that Innova gives different flight numbers in Champ (13/6/-1/2 vs. 13/6/-2/2 in Star, IIRC). My own experience, so far, is that the different numbers fit. This is with two 167g Champs and a 158g Star.

I guess this makes sense. The Champion Shryke I have has a tourny stamp on it though, so I wasn't aware it was assigned different flight numbers than the others. My champion is a 165g. It definitely has high speed turn and responded well to being thrown hard and slightly hyzer. It resisted flipping all the way over, even into a slight breeze. Just crushingly long S curve bombs. I'm sure a 175 champion Shryke would be noticeably more stable.

That said, I really didn't see a ton of difference in flight between G*, Star, and champion Shrykes. Its a very good mold and seems well engineered. In the 6 Shrykes I've come across none of them have poor flight characteristics. I can't even say which plastic in this mold I like the best since they all perform well.

Last edited:
Mini stamp,

26903719_10155361446934423_2219245483410973973_n.jpg

Only thing I've thrown recently that will hang with a Shryke is the Prodigy D3. Similar flights. The D3 is absolutely legit. It was some random disc I found in a lake. I've thrown 5 different Shrykes (4 G* and 1 star). They all fly more or less the same. I'm in awe of what the mold can do. I just recently started bagging one of them and its tearing up my usual course with distances I haven't achieved there before.

What plastic is your D3? I have one 400 plastic that has become a little too flippy, and one 400g pop top that is new and seemed pretty damn beefy. Still had the flashing though. Very long Disc though, tons of glide. if I can get one to the right stability range it would be money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think its 400. Its an X out, so it doesn't list the plastic on the disc. Someone seems to have written it on the rim though.

Plastic reminds me of old Innova CE. It's a little shiny and slightly gummy. Seems like good stuff. The disc absolutely crushes. It flies just like a Shryke. Same amount of high speed turn and glide.

I think its 400. Its an X out, so it doesn't list the plastic on the disc. Someone seems to have written it on the rim though.

Plastic reminds me of old Innova CE. It's a little shiny and slightly gummy. Seems like good stuff. The disc absolutely crushes. It flies just like a Shryke. Same amount of high speed turn and glide.

Most of my Prodigy discs are X-outs. Infinite had a sale and I went crazy on it. But I digress... yes, the number on the rim is the plastic type.

Latest posts