• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

I have thrown my 172 star shryke for some months now and i love it. However, if there is mild headwind, i will throw my destroyer.

I cant decide should i get 1 more in color glow chmapion plastick or star(Lisa Fajkus) edition. Can someone compare, is the Fajkus edition more OS or flies like regular star plastic one?

I bought three max weight color glow champion shrykes (but they are all tourney CFR stamps) and really like them. they are a little more OS than terns but have a gentler/less dumpy fade.

You need to get them up to speed to get that flight though (which means throw as hard as you would a regular star destroyer but with more hyzer). My more beat in color glow shryke will need even more hyzer and conscious follow through or it will flip up and turn over and start to wander.

I had a tournament where I just lost one of my beat in color glow shrykes and tried out a brand new backup color glow max weight and it was actually almost as understable out of the box. I was happy i didn't have to adjust to the new disc but kind of bemused at how inconsistent disc golf plastic can be even when the same run/plastic/weight/type.

So you really have to throw them and not just rely on plastic type.

Then I bought a brand new max weight champ shryke and noticed it was a touch more OS than the color glow shyrkes I had. I actually think the champ shryke being a bit more OS might be a better thing so I can crank as hard as I would a destroyer but with hyzer.

I'm just happy that the shyrke is deep enough for me to really crank on for distance forehands that flip up and fly straight. I'm primarily a backhand thrower for distance lines, but did crank a shryke on sidearm for some 350-400ft holes this weekend for birdie looks when it called for a sidearm fade line.

So after about 10 throws with my 168 Star Shryke, I think I either need a max weight Star, similar weight Champ or find a high PLH GStar, as mine is an absolute bomber, but it is too touchy, similar to how even the best Terns are. I can get about the same distance out of my GStar Destroyers, but they can be a bit touchy as well. I can max out the Shryke around 400', while my Destroyers get about 385', my 166 flat Champ Tern was 400' when thrown perfectly.

So after about 10 throws with my 168 Star Shryke, I think I either need a max weight Star, similar weight Champ or find a high PLH GStar, as mine is an absolute bomber, but it is too touchy, similar to how even the best Terns are. I can get about the same distance out of my GStar Destroyers, but they can be a bit touchy as well. I can max out the Shryke around 400', while my Destroyers get about 385', my 166 flat Champ Tern was 400' when thrown perfectly.

You might try a 175 G* Shryke. I have one that is unreal for distance. Its just stable enough to not flip over when I really crank on it. Still not a headwind disc at all, but it will scrape every inch I can get out of my arm on calm days.

Some of the lighter Shrykes can be overly touchy and flip suddenly. Another thing I've found is that star Shrykes are no more stable than G*s. Both stars I have are on the flippy side, but glide for days.

I'm reluctant to even pick a favorite plastic for Shrykes. I have a few in star, champion and G*. All perform about equally. The heavier weights are just a hair more stable.

What is the most OS Shryke? Probably max weight Champion?

Anyone get a hold of the Color Glow Tour series?

Champion.
Color glows are really straight but not overstable

Has anyone else noticed the Shryke is all the ladies' new tourney disc? And has anyone tried "splatter star?"

After a full weekend with my Champ Shryke I can say that I'm getting the biggest distance I've ever had. It's routinely getting 30'+ past my Wraiths. I'm mostly throwing on FH shots and it took me some time to get the release points right because it is angle sensitive. It likes to be ripped flat or with a slight hyze and then it will bomb. Glad I took a chance on this mold. Even if it only gets used here and there it's useful.

I've found that the INNcolor star Shryke and 30yr anniversary star Shrykes are more overstable than champs. Both have significantly less glide than regular runs and are much more turn-resistant.

I'd put those runs at 13|4|-.5|2.5. Pretty similar to a slightly beat up Destroyer

Has anyone else noticed the Shryke is all the ladies' new tourney disc? And has anyone tried "splatter star?"

The Splatter Shrykes (or the Fajkus Shrykus) are my favorite plastic blends I've thrown for this mold. I can't get max distance out of them but they have a touch more stability that other plastic blends don't seem to have that makes them easy to throw. They fly like a seasoned Destroyer with more of a forward-penetrating fade at the end. Thrown flat, they go about as described by the flight numbers. Add some hyzer and they will flip and ride a little with a predictable fade at the end. Go with a little anny and they won't come back at all.

Just want to give the Shyrke a little love.. using a max weight Star, I made it to circle 1 on two holes I've never come even close to before.. Lincoln Ridge hole 16 from the long tee. It's a 385 ft tunnel shot. And also hole 24 that is 520 ft downhill. The Star I have is flatter than my Champ that is more stable.. definitely prefer the Star.

people dont talk about vulcans much. i threw one the other day it flew EXACTLY like my star shryke. im surpsied more people ahve compared the shryke to the vulcan. its uncannily similar to the shryke in the way the vulcan feels in the hand and the way it flies. anyone else every thrown a vulcan and think this?

people dont talk about vulcans much. i threw one the other day it flew EXACTLY like my star shryke. im surpsied more people ahve compared the shryke to the vulcan. its uncannily similar to the shryke in the way the vulcan feels in the hand and the way it flies. anyone else every thrown a vulcan and think this?

Well I haven't thrown a Vulcan for years, but the Vulcans I had back in the day (a couple first run Stars and maybe 1 production Star) didn't fly anything like a Shryke. They were so flippy and touchy at high speed, you had to give them a LOT of height and room to work, and who knew where they would land. Great for a distance competition but not for golf lines. I find Shrykes to have some turn, but be much more reliable than Vulcans. Then again, it's been a long time since I threw a Vulcan so maybe they are coming out more stable these days (or maybe they're just one of those very inconsistent molds like the Katana). Vulcans also used to have that squared off, flat top mold piece (like the Archon), so I'm surprised you would say they would feel alike in the hand since all the Shrykes I've felt had a nice, smooth dome.

If you ever need a less flippy one, get a Pharaoh.

I bag a pair of Star Shrykes for distance, which would work better as a more stable compliment: a Champ Shryke, or a Pharoah?
I'm throwimg my Stars about 400-420 if I don't turn them over. I'm used to using a more HSS mold (Destroyer) for max D, so having a mold with HST is new to me. If I get the hyzer angle right, I can throw an amazing shot, but my Stars usually end up to the right, if I don't, which is where all the trouble on the holes I would be using the Shryke is. I'm still looking for some turn, but that is controllable with a small amount of hyzer, and something that can handle a light (less than 10 mph) headwind. My GStar Destroyers have the same problem, and my Pro Destroyer doesn't have all that much glide, even though it is almost pop top.

I would say Pharaoh just to avoid Champion in a driver.

I'm usually fine with Champ plastic in a driver, but prefer Star. I'd assume a Pharoah would glide better, due to the glide difference between Champ and Star.

I carry both a 165g Champ and a 157g Star Shryke. Generally, the Champ is for FH, and the Star for BH, though I can hyzer flip the Star FH if I hit it right. [Last night I didn't hit it right and watched it go way left into the Manzanita, but on the bright side, in the process of finding it I found a 150 class Gazelle...I've been wanting to try one of those...]