• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

people dont talk about vulcans much. i threw one the other day it flew EXACTLY like my star shryke. im surpsied more people ahve compared the shryke to the vulcan. its uncannily similar to the shryke in the way the vulcan feels in the hand and the way it flies. anyone else every thrown a vulcan and think this?

Vulcans are probably the closest thing Innova makes to the Shryke in terms of speed, glide, and overall distance.

For me the Vulcan is more finicky than a Shryke. Its flippier and will often drift very far right without ever coming back. Shrykes do have high speed turn, but not as much as Vulcans. Distance-wise I'd say Shrykes and Vulcans are nearly the same. Both flex out massively for huge bombs.

On the course I much prefer the Shryke. Its somewhat understable, but still controllable. Vulcans are fun to mess around with in the field, but I haven't found a ton of use for them on a course where accuracy is needed. FWIW, I actually liked the G* Vulcan the best. It has a touch of low speed fade and will actually try to fight its way out of a high speed turn. Also, flat Vulcans are no good. They don't flex out very well and glide poorly.

Well I haven't thrown a Vulcan for years, but the Vulcans I had back in the day (a couple first run Stars and maybe 1 production Star) didn't fly anything like a Shryke. I found they were so flippy and touchy at high speed, you had to give them a LOT of height and room to work, and who knew where they would land. Great for a distance competition but not for golf lines.d Shrykes to have some turn, but be much more reliable than Vulcans. Then again, it's been a long time since I threw a Vulcan so maybe they are coming out more stable these days (or maybe they're just one of those very inconsistent molds like the Katana). Vulcans also used to have that squared off, flat top mold piece (like the Archon), so I'm surprised you would say they would feel alike in the hand since all the Shrykes I've felt had a nice, smooth dome.

This. I much prefer a Shryke for on-course throwing. They are far more accurate and less finicky than Vulcans. I've also found that Vulcans have a lot of inconsistency from disc to disc. Shrykes don't have that.

After further thinking on it, I'd have to say the Daedalus is more like a Shryke than a Vulcan. The Daedalus has a mellower flight and isn't quite as violently overstable. The Shryke is still longer though.

I pair Champ/Glow Colossus with my Shrykes. A little bit of flip up with a reliable fade.

Colossus can definitely handle some arm. I find them to be a little stubborn. They don't glide that great and have a fairly abrupt, dumpy fade.

I'd probably look at the Boss as a step up from the Shryke rather than the Colossus. If you want to switch brands the Ballista is also another viable option.

I picked up a double eagle stamped star Shryke. The plh is higher than my other shrykes and it has a small dome. Probably going to be stable for a shryke. They were all marked 175, mine weighs 177.

I picked up a double eagle stamped star Shryke. The plh is higher than my other shrykes and it has a small dome. Probably going to be stable for a shryke. They were all marked 175, mine weighs 177.

sounds really nice

I bought two F2 Star Shrykes around 170. I asked for pop-tops. They are both straight to fade stable right now, with only a couple rounds on them.

sounds really nice

I'm probably just going to look at this one due to the weight. My aging arm is working better with high speed drivers in the 160's. If I find a lighter one I will test it out.

I gave up on Terns and went to the Shryke. I have 2, one S-line and one special glow champion one I got in a tournament. The s-line absolutely will glide better than any disc for me. I have a Philo destroyer and they are both really long. If it's windy and the shot allows the glow one is more stable and behaves like the S-line Shyke into the wind. These disk for me really love a flat release. They track right a ways and glide, then eventually come back. I used to have a beefy champ beast. The flight seems similar but a lot more glide and longer.

Needless to say I"m loving this disc

Considered trying the shryke over the tern myself. Havent jumped on yet.

If you like the Tern's rim width, you might like the Shryke, and you might like it better. Myself, I'm discing down from the Tern to the more comfortable rim widths of the Trespass and/or Mystere. Let us know what works better for you (once you find out for yourself :) )

Considered trying the shryke over the tern myself. Havent jumped on yet.

What really did it for me with the Shryke vs. Tern was the fact that the Shryke holds a flex line better than the Tern and doesn't fade out as sharply or as soon. I never had a problem throwing Terns, but I just feel I throw Shrykes better (30' longer consistently).

Let's put it this way, if the Shryke wasn't around I'd go back to bagging the Tern for understable distance bombing. The Shryke does everything the Tern does, but better.

If you like the Tern's rim width, you might like the Shryke, and you might like it better. Myself, I'm discing down from the Tern to the more comfortable rim widths of the Trespass and/or Mystere. Let us know what works better for you (once you find out for yourself :) )

I think you might have a hard time with the Mystere. I can't see any benefit whatsoever to throwing it over a Tern. Its pretty finicky and will be shorter than a Tern. I actually don't mind the Mystere, but I'd never consider bagging it over anything I have in my bag currently. Its pretty long for a speed 11, but its hard to find the right line to see that distance.

The Trespass will easily fly as far as a Tern... if you have the arm to flex it out.

I can't see any benefit whatsoever to throwing it over a Tern.

Some may find the Mystere more comfortable to grip than the wider-rimmed Tern. And that might lead to better results (not necessarily longer, but better overall results).

The Trespass will easily fly as far as a Tern... if you have the arm to flex it out.

The Trespass is surprisingly good to noodle armed players, even without flexing it out. It is not the 12 5,-1,3 numbers assigned to it.

Last edited:
I agree woth the trespass being far less stable than the numbers say. I never had a problem with the Tern's rim always found it to be as comfortable as any 11 speed really does not feel like a Destro or nuke, Crank etc. I want to get my hands on a shryke.

I've thrown my Lucid Trespass further than my Champ Tern and Star Shrykes. The only thing that has come within 5' was a Pharoah into a headwind. I'll see what my Champ Shrykes do hopefully today, unless it decides to downpour even more.

I really don't think half a millimeter (or whatever it is) of difference in rim width between the Tern and Mystere will make much difference when you grip the thing.

People make way too much of a deal out of a millimeter. It won't make or break you.

Latest posts