• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

Not sure if I got a super flippy champ shryke but it seems less stable than my champ terns. It's 171g.. thrown into a slight headwind it stood no chance, turned and cut into the ground. The course I played today didn't allow for too many big shots that need room to work so I only got a couple good throws in. Had another throw in a tailwind and I still saw the disc break right a bit at first but managed to go straight 450' before fading out at the end.

Seems like it might overlap too much with my terns, but we will see.

I'm finding that the Shryke has very similar stability to a Tern, but is faster, longer and glides better. Both are touchy in headwinds. I feel like with a great throw I could do 450' with a Shryke. The Tern would finish at least 30' short of that.

Yesterday my order of 3 shrykes came in so did some field testing. I got 2 Star, a 170g and a 175g. the other is a 170g champ. My longest drivers have always been pro destroyers and I don't like the feel of the super wide rims on the Boss, Colossus etc. Wind wasn't too bad and I avoided throwing into the wind for the most part. These things bomb that's for sure! Out of about 8 throws going against my pro destroyer, c-line DDX and gstar destroyer the 175 star and 170 champ out drove everything else by 15-30 feet each time except once.

I'm around a 400 foot thrower or maybe a tad more and I'd say they went to 430 for sure. The 170g star was a weird one though, super flippy to the point where I couldn't control it. I'd throw it flat and all it wanted to do was go hard right. The other 2 were great with a bit of turn and predictable forward fade coming back. In calm or tailwind these are great discs.

I'm around a 400 foot thrower or maybe a tad more and I'd say they went to 430 for sure. The 170g star was a weird one though, super flippy to the point where I couldn't control it. I'd throw it flat and all it wanted to do was go hard right. The other 2 were great with a bit of turn and predictable forward fade coming back. In calm or tailwind these are great discs.

This sounds great to me...I throw the same range and also love Gstar or beat Destroyers for distance, and don't like max rims either.

Can you compare your Shryke PLH/wing height on a flat surface and let us know if your flippy star Shryke has a much lower wing than the other 2? The other star and the champ are pretty similar in flight for you?

Update: I decided to try an experiment where I would throw a Fuzion Renegade(165g) with the wind and my Champion Shryke (166g) into the wind, the idea being to throw a very fast OS disc into the wind, and a more understable, lower-speed disc with the wind. Should've done this yesterday as there was more wind yesterday, but there were a few huffs and puffs today.

I also threw the Champion Shryke on the two downhill holes and a long, open dogleg-left hole. All-in-all, I found the Champion Shryke to be very consistent (either a hyzer or a straight flight with fade at the end), and got good distance. Not quite as far as my Terns, but good enough that I think it'll do well (maybe better) into headwinds.

The Renegade did okay. On the range, it was turning over and going right before fading back just a bit left. Today, it was not as understable for me in ANY wind conditions, including dead calm. It did have some pretty good distance, but I still may go back to the Tern for the understable component.

But the bottom line is that for whatever reason, I'm getting consistency out of my Champion Shryke that I'm not getting in the Star Shryke, and I'm thinking the Champ Shryke might be great when the wind is beating my face. More updates as events warrant...

This sounds great to me...I throw the same range and also love Gstar or beat Destroyers for distance, and don't like max rims either.

Can you compare your Shryke PLH/wing height on a flat surface and let us know if your flippy star Shryke has a much lower wing than the other 2? The other star and the champ are pretty similar in flight for you?

I compared them last night and all 3 have very similar PLH/wing height. Tested some more at the local course and the 170g champ is the most stable of the 3. Still have to be careful with the wind but it flew great. I feel like the 175g star can get out just a bit further but need a little more open space for it to flex out whereas the champ can stay on a fairly straight line. I tried the 170 star as a roller and it works ok. Probably not as reliable as my roadrunner for a roller though.

Update: Hannah Leatherman was doing commentary on CCDG's coverage of the FPO at the GBO tournament. She said she was throwing the Star Shryke (and well and far), and that Lisa Fajkus was also rocking the Star Shryke. So the pros are all over the Shryke...

I finally threw a Shryke.

First and only throw was an easy 450'.

I might need to get one.

Its an unreal disc. It actually took me a bit to learn how to properly throw the Shryke, but once I did it started bombing further than anything else I have. To me its like a Tern on steroids. I can see why the pros are jumping on it. Easiest distance they've probably ever had in their lives.

I think if I spent some time with this disc, I could finally get to 500'.

What's the sweet spot for weight with the regular Stars?

I think if I spent some time with this disc, I could finally get to 500'.

What's the sweet spot for weight with the regular Stars?

I don't know. I've only thrown 1 and its 168g. Feels perfect. It will definitely flip if you torque it too hard, but the Shryke can handle full strength rips just fine.

I'm anxious to try a champion Shryke.

does it have a shallow rim like the tern and sheriff?

Update: sad day today. Lost my Champion Shryke to the lake. :(

And that was just 7 holes after it got me inside the circle on a 325 ft. hole.

Time to go make a root beer float and cry in it.

Update: sad day today. Lost my Champion Shryke to the lake. :(

And that was just 7 holes after it got me inside the circle on a 325 ft. hole.

Time to go make a root beer float and cry in it.

Go buy another. Too good a disc to not replace. :thmbup:

Also, to me the Shryke seems pretty shallow. I have no trouble hanging on to it though.

Go buy another. Too good a disc to not replace. :thmbup:

Also, to me the Shryke seems pretty shallow. I have no trouble hanging on to it though.

I've had grip issues with the Star Shryke, but not the Champion Shryke. Today wind just got hold of the C-Shryke and pushed it on over into the lake. I found two other discs while searching for it, but alas not the C-Shryke.

So I'll put the Star Shryke in the bag and see if I can't get it to do a little better for me than in the past. My monthly allotment of disc money is spent, so I'll have to wait a couple of weeks before I can get another C-Shryke.

Got a brand new gstar shryke at play it again for 9 bucks. I thought the disc was overhyped, didn't expect much from it. Threw on the only 400+ foot hole at my local course. It turned a fair bit but still fought back. Went further than my previous two practice shots with my destroyers. It's a definite bomber.

believe the hype people: if you like a boss you'll love these. thrown about 15 times since I got a champ last week and it consistently gives me another 20 to 50' past where my bosses end up, for my farthest (flat land) throws ever.

believe the hype people: if you like a boss you'll love these. thrown about 15 times since I got a champ last week and it consistently gives me another 20 to 50' past where my bosses end up, for my farthest (flat land) throws ever.

I agree. I can crank the Shryke 40' further than a Boss on almost every throw. I attribute it to better glide and less low speed fade. The Shryke simply stays in the air longer.

Anyone thrown any of the glow Shryke's? Wondering if they are more stable than champ. Threw a yellow champ and it's slightly too flippy to be a workhorse distance driver for me, hoping to find one a tad more stable.

Latest posts