• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Speed Ratings = Richter Scale

So, might we also be able to surmise that, for the most part: squirrely discs (due to their narrow bands and sensitive nature) are intended for experienced players, who; understand their intended use, know how to throw them, and are therefore more likely to achieve good results with them?
I'm sorry I missed this before.

I think it's more like for the most part those discs aren't used nearly as much by better players because they understand that consistency is super important. It's why you rarely see the top Innova guys throwing Sidewinders, Archangels, Wolfs or Grooves. You'll see something squirrley pop up once in a while, but it's usually a situational disc and they don't repeat from bag to bag like Rocs, Destoyers, Eagles, Teebirds and stuff like that.

I'm sorry I missed this before.

I think it's more like for the most part those discs aren't used nearly as much by better players because they understand that consistency is super important. It's why you rarely see the top Innova guys throwing Sidewinders, Archangels, Wolfs or Grooves. You'll see something squirrley pop up once in a while, but it's usually a situational disc and they don't repeat from bag to bag like Rocs, Destoyers, Eagles, Teebirds and stuff like that.

It's true that the top Open players, who all have good power, usually stray away from the squirrely category of discs, but there is some merit to what the poster who you were responding to was saying. I know a lot of really good masters level players that have the speed control to be surgical with the squirrely discs. Lacking the power, they use the skill they've developed over decades to keep up in distance with discs like Sidewinders, Roadrunners, Vulcans, etc.

So, might we also be able to surmise that, for the most part: squirrely discs (due to their narrow bands and sensitive nature) are intended for experienced players, who; understand their intended use, know how to throw them, and are therefore more likely to achieve good results with them?

I wonder if it is just that most people that use a squirrely disc are the ones that can't get it to the point that it becomes squirrely. I used to throw an Element, but as I got better and started throwing farther, it got to a point where just a very small change in my throw would yield huge differences in results. It was never like that when I was throwing it slower.
For a lower power player, it might be a good stable-understable mid. I could see the same thing for faster discs like the Sidewinder, Vulcan, or Groove.

It's true that the top Open players, who all have good power, usually stray away from the squirrely category of discs, but there is some merit to what the poster who you were responding to was saying. I know a lot of really good masters level players that have the speed control to be surgical with the squirrely discs. Lacking the power, they use the skill they've developed over decades to keep up in distance with discs like Sidewinders, Roadrunners, Vulcans, etc.
Players with really good skills can make any disc work. That doesn't mean that the discs are any better, or really intended for them, just that they've put the work in to get to the point where they can choose any disc and make it fly well. I don't think disc companies really target that small segment of players when they make discs like this. If those were the only guys throwing them I don't think they'd be able to justify spending manufacturing time making them.

Players with really good skills can make any disc work. That doesn't mean that the discs are any better, or really intended for them, just that they've put the work in to get to the point where they can choose any disc and make it fly well. I don't think disc companies really target that small segment of players when they make discs like this. If those were the only guys throwing them I don't think they'd be able to justify spending manufacturing time making them.

The guys I'm talking about are better now because of the newer discs. They are experienced enough to know the advantages and drawbacks and use them appropriately to reach holes they were not reaching before. Of course the disc companies are trying to market them widely, but in my opinion the older guys are the only ones really benefiting. It's also worth noting that Dave D. is one of those guys...