• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Stud: New PnA

I saw the dx and star version yesterday at a tourmanent and it reminded me of the dx reminded me of the old dx Gremlin molds. More shocking was the dx stamp. Takes some imagination to see the back right leg.

Got a chance to hold some of these at the store the other day, didn't really do anything for me. As others have said, feels pretty similar to the Colt/slightly bulkier, and the stars molded up a little more domey than dx.

If you throw/like the feel of production run colts I can see these being a nice stable complement, assuming they fly close to the numbers.

They just need to be flat and moderately firm...I handled some colts in the pro shop and they had this 3 inch dome in the middle.

Thanks for the info. I am (im)patiently waiting for my orders to arrive so that I can test this mold in the field...

Hoping that you get yours soon, sir! When you do, how did it fly for you? I was a little disappointed in the flight path when I drove with my DX, but I was quickly relieved to find the Star mold a bit more overstable! Super excited for my driving putt future with these!

Hoping that you get yours soon, sir! When you do, how did it fly for you? I was a little disappointed in the flight path when I drove with my DX, but I was quickly relieved to find the Star mold a bit more overstable! Super excited for my driving putt future with these!

My DX Stud just came in the mail. Infinite Discs won the "race", as DGC seemed to really take their time to even get the Star Stud order processed and out the door (it only showed that it shipped last night), and it could be several more days before it gets here. Good on Infinite Discs!

The weather outside is frightful (not really, but very wet from recent rains), and with storms coming in, I rushed to the course to get some throws in.

I took the following with me: proto DX Colt, 171g; production DX Colt, 166g; Star Colt, 175g; and the DX Stud, 169g.

The Stud feels most like the DX proto Colt. Not exactly the same, but pretty close. At the edge, where the top becomes the rim, the Stud feels like it drops off a little more sharply than the Colt. I'd say it's like the Star Gator's "drop off" feel vs. the smoother "drop off" of the Star Colt, if that make sense.

The proto DX Colt is flat on top. The Stud is slightly more domey, while the production DX colt is domier and feels domier in the hand when I grip it. The Star Colt is "between" the proto DX Colt and the Stud in feel.

The Stud's grip also feels "thicker" in the rim, though I can't see a visible difference. Just a very slight difference in feel.

Flights: it was windy with sporadic gusts, as bad weather is moving in. Good testing conditions. On drives from the tee with something of a tailwind, the production Colt turned over and went right (RHBH) throws, the proto DX and Star Colts really flew a good distance, and the Stud glided well... with more fade at the end.

The Stud's fade is not going to be mistaken for the Gator's fade, but it is a consistent, reliable fade. More to this: I threw what turned out to be 150 feet or more towards one of the baskets, with a tailwind coming from the 7:00-7:30 position. Standstill shot, but with some power (such as I have) behind it. The production Colt flew very well, right at the basket and just tapering to the right (again RHBH throw) at the end. The proto Colt and Star Colt threw straight, but a little shorter. The Stud had a nice flight, not quite the glide of the production Colt, but a good flight with a fade at the end, finishing left of the target.

Then I threw into a headwind at another basket, about 100-110 feet out. The production Colt turned over and went right. The Star and proto Colts did okay, but the Star Colt actually sailed over the basket while the proto Colt ended up slightly short right. And this was where the Stud shined for me. Just a great, straight flight into that wind, then dropping with just a bit of "dump" fade, going right across the front of the basket, missing by mere feet.

After some more throws into the wind, and seeing that the Stud holds up nicely, I headed back to the car. At the practice basket, I threw from the 20-ft. marker. All three Colts went straight in (snake-strike method works well) :), and the Stud tried to fade a bit, hitting the am side of the chains and getting away :(

All-in-all, maybe Mr. Dunipace & Co. retooled the Colt with the Stud in their minds, and maybe not... but both discs are good. I'm looking forward to using the Stud/Colt combo, as well as seeing how the Star Stud flies once I get it.

Great write up with the comparisons SD!

I was hoping the Stud would be proto colt like in feel and flight as so my stash of new protos could live a lot longer.

Now SD, you need to post those comparison picks...I have two DX Studs on the way and they wont be here until Thursday:D.

I want to see the DX Proto Colt next to a DX Stud :thmbup:.

Last edited:
Argh why must the part office be so slow, mine won't be in until Sat

Thanks to Infinite and the USPS I got my two DX Studs today ( purple 170 & dirty white 169 ) :thmbup:. My 3-day package got here in 2-days, Nice!

I will try to get some comparison pics up soon, but I am gonna say that the Stud is the same mold as the Proto Colt.

I looked, compared, and even got out my calipers to check, I only found one to be off by .5 mm. They feel the same in the hand too :clap:!

The parting line height is the same, wing shape the same, the tooling is the same, only difference is the slight tad more dome on the Stud vs. the Colt. I plan on calling my Innova east inside guy and seeing if he can verify it is the same disc/mold.

I even put a Proto Colt in a stack with the Studs and you cant tell them apart.

Now I just need to get that field test on to confirm, if these fly the same for me I will be a happy camper :D. That will mean that my stash of Protos I hoarded will not be in danger of being used up/exhausted any time soon.

Manly-Man-Shark_zpsdztvq7yb.jpg

Has my interest, just have to wipe the stamp.

Can someone post a profile pic? Please

Last edited:
Thanks to Infinite and the USPS I got my two DX Studs today ( purple 170 & dirty white 169 ) :thmbup:. My 3-day package got here in 2-days, Nice!
I will try to get some comparison pics up soon, but I am gonna say that the Stud is the same mold as the Proto Colt.
I looked, compared, and even got out my calipers to check, I only found one to be off by .5 mm. They feel the same in the hand too :clap:!
The parting line height is the same, wing shape the same, the tooling is the same, only difference is the slight tad more dome on the Stud vs. the Colt. I plan on calling my Innova east inside guy and seeing if he can verify it is the same disc/mold.
I even put a Proto Colt in a stack with the Studs and you cant tell them apart.
Now I just need to get that field test on to confirm, if these fly the same for me I will be a happy camper :D. That will mean that my stash of Protos I hoarded will not be in danger of being used up/exhausted any time soon.

Thanks for the review! Yes, the Proto-Colt and DX Stud are indeed very close. I found two differences: 1) right where the top meets the side rim, the Stud looks and feels like a steeper dropoff, where the Colt as just a bit of smoother curve, if that makes sense.

And 2) my proto-Colts (any of the 3) never flew as overstable as the Stud, even brand new fresh out of the box. I'm waiting for the Star Stud to arrive and then I'll see if the DX Stud mellows out, but the Stud is definitely more overstable than the Colt.

Let us know if your flight tests agree or disagree with what I found. At any rate, the Stud/Colt combo are going to be awesome! :thmbup:

Latest posts