• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova XD

I played a round today throwing only an old Avair XD and a new R-Pro XD. The Avair XD I've had for 25 years or so...it has a promotional stamp for a health care company. The R Pro has a tourney stamp. XD has been one of my favorite discs.

That answered all three of my questions and knowing is half the battle.
Thanks Three Putt
The reality of who Dave D is dictates that nothing is really that simple. Dave D is a tinkerer. No matter how good a disc is, he always thinks he can make it better. The XD is like the fourth disc Innova ever made. A disc that has been around that long in Dave D's hands has been tinkered with A LOT. Sometimes we notice. Sometimes we don't. XD's are cool, though. No matter what is done to them, they always seem to fly like XD's.

Except the Star XD's. Don't get me started on how horrible Star XD's are.

3P - you sir, contunue to impress me with your knowledge of disc history. Well done sir. That additional bit of insight into what makes Mr. Dunipace tick is illuminating and explains a lot.

Have you any similar type of info about Mr. Kenner? Does he have certain tendencies/personality traits which find their way into production or affect Discraft's offerings in some way?

Last edited:
3P - you sir, contunue to impress me with your knowledge of disc history. Well done sir. That additional bit of insight into what makes Mr. Dunipace tick is illuminating and explains a lot.

Have you any similar type of info about Mr. Kenner? Does he have certain tendencies/personality traits which find their way into production?
I don't really know anything about Jim, other than he is a Frisbee guy who makes golf discs. Dave D is a disc golfer.

Really, we make the constant Innova retooling into something evil. "They keep messing with the Roc, why didn't they just leave it alone?" Dave D can't leave it alone, he honestly thinks he can make it better and he keeps trying to. It's what he does. Innova plastic changes because they tinker with it. The molds change because they tinker with them. They don't tinker with them because they hate us, they tinker with them because Dave D thinks he can make us better discs. There may be cost cutting "business" decisions here and there, but for the most part it's that crazy guy in California trying to make you a better golf disc.

The reality of who Dave D is dictates that nothing is really that simple. Dave D is a tinkerer. No matter how good a disc is, he always thinks he can make it better. The XD is like the fourth disc Innova ever made. A disc that has been around that long in Dave D's hands has been tinkered with A LOT. Sometimes we notice. Sometimes we don't. XD's are cool, though. No matter what is done to them, they always seem to fly like XD's.

Except the Star XD's. Don't get me started on how horrible Star XD's are.
I have a CH 170 XD(+?) And it flys like a brick.

I don't really know anything about Jim, other than he is a Frisbee guy who makes golf discs. Dave D is a disc golfer.

Really, we make the constant Innova retooling into something evil. "They keep messing with the Roc, why didn't they just leave it alone?" Dave D can't leave it alone, he honestly thinks he can make it better and he keeps trying to. It's what he does. Innova plastic changes because they tinker with it. The molds change because they tinker with them. They don't tinker with them because they hate us, they tinker with them because Dave D thinks he can make us better discs. There may be cost cutting "business" decisions here and there, but for the most part it's that crazy guy in California trying to make you a better golf disc.

I know several people that work at Innova. Several I would consider friends. While there are decisions that are made because of money in any business, I've never felt things Innova did was as much money related as it was what Dave D. And their testers felt was right.

I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to test discs for Innova in the early 90s and still have some test molds that were never released. Some flew really well and I was surprised they didnt make the cut.

i will not let the XD rest in peace!

btw, does anyone have a party time stamped XD?