• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Intentional Foot Fault

I think they should update the rules to where you can't call a footfault on yourself on a missed putt.

Bear with me, I do think there are some people (including myself) who would call themselves on a foot fault if it gave them an advantage.

There is literally no reason to call a foot fault on yourself on a made putt other than honor. So I think the player should have the option (should they choose) of re-putting a made putt, but I think if they missed the putt they should have no option to call a foot fault.

I think they should update the rules to where you can't call a footfault on yourself on a missed putt.

Bear with me, I do think there are some people (including myself) who would call themselves on a foot fault if it gave them an advantage.

There is literally no reason to call a foot fault on yourself on a made putt other than honor. So I think the player should have the option (should they choose) of re-putting a made putt, but I think if they missed the putt they should have no option to call a foot fault.

The rule IS that you can't call it on yourself. The rest of the card just didn't know the rules either. See these below.

New rule 802.04 F states: "Any throw made from an illegal stance is disregarded. A re-throw must be taken from the original lie, prior to subsequent play by others in the group"

And 802.04 E states: "A player shall receive a warning for the first stance violation in the round. Subsequent stance violations in the same round shall incur a one-throw penalty. Stance violations may not be called or seconded by the thrower."

Pretty clear in language that eliminates any loopholes. Any foot fault anywhere requires a re-throw, and first one is a warning, second one is a penalty, and stance violations cannot be called by the thrower. This also reinforces players requirement in tournament play to watch and call all violations.

Really, this one was easy.
As joegraham says, you can't call a FF on yourself, anywhere, anytime.

And yes, tamp, it has to be called to be deemed an illegal throw or stance.

The rule IS that you can't call it on yourself. The rest of the card just didn't know the rules either. See these below.

And yes, tamp, it has to be called to be deemed an illegal throw or stance.

Then please disregard my comment, thanks for the facts!

These are players who are not trying to circumvent the rules, they just don't know them.

They should learn them before playing in anything beyond a casual round. It's personal responsibility. Casual rounds are a good time to educate them (and really, they should be asking questions, and reading the rules book - it's not that big).

Tournaments or anything that really matters is not the time to be learning the rules.

Let's be frank, you talk to your card, you know who's new and who's not. You see them throw, and can assess their skill level. These folks don't realistically expect to be in the money, they're out there to find out if they like the tournament environment. If they experience a bunch of people trying to find reasons to assess them extra strokes, it's not going to be fun, & they won't be back.

Okay, let's be frank: it's not my job or responsibility to educate them on the rules in the middle of a tournament or something more serious than a casual "chuckin' some plastic" round. It is their responsibility to know the rules, and follow them, just as it is mine.

I don't care if they're not going to be in the money. They might beat someone else - is it fair to that other person that you didn't penalize them for rules violations?

This is all off the topic of the main point I'm trying to get out there:

To be perfectly clear, I'm not talking about the players that try to gain an unfair advantage by breaking or bending the rules (aka "cheaters"). Strict rules application and a DQ if necessary for them. The warning is a shot across their bow.

The warning can be gamed, so I favor just doing away with the warning and penalize people from the outset. You violate a rule, you're penalized.

You can still spend part of your tournament time talking to people off to the side if you wish, you'd just have to tell them "be careful because it's a one-throw penalty."

Last edited:
i never even thought of this. thanks for the dirty trick!

just kidding. if you do this you dont even deserve to play in a tourny. some ******* in a previous tourny snitched on some people for smoking the marijuana when he was on lead card in the tourny and placed last on his card and all the people that smoked placed 1-3rd. if you have to win by cheap tricks you should find a different sport

i never even thought of this. thanks for the dirty trick!

just kidding. if you do this you dont even deserve to play in a tourny. some ******* in a previous tourny snitched on some people for smoking the marijuana when he was on lead card in the tourny and placed last on his card and all the people that smoked placed 1-3rd. if you have to win by cheap tricks you should find a different sport

People were blatantly violating the rules? How is that a cheap trick? If you can't get through a round without marijuana/drinking then perhaps they should stick to rec rounds or unsanctioned events. If you can't get by without doing those things before or after a round you have a lot more problems than getting DQ'd from a tournament where you knew what you were doing are expressly prohibited.

I like this iacas guy more daily... LOL.

Probably because I was an avid ball golfer for 25+ years. I need to make more room in my life for ball golf, but since I found this sport, I've not even picked up a club in over a year! Dropped my country club membership and everything. I betcha my handicap isn't anywhere close to the 5.6 it used be.

Oh well, gotta practice some putts to night for tournament 3 hours away from home tomorrow. I'm so ate up with this sport!

People were blatantly violating the rules? How is that a cheap trick? If you can't get through a round without marijuana/drinking then perhaps they should stick to rec rounds or unsanctioned events. If you can't get by without doing those things before or after a round you have a lot more problems than getting DQ'd from a tournament where you knew what you were doing are expressly prohibited.

This. keep the green for casual rounds. i do not like it when im in a tournament and someone starts to burn one.

snitching on someone? what are we, in grade school? i have never smoked but i have no problem with people lighting up on the course.

also i wouldnt say that they are dependent on a substance so that is out of line and an over exaggeration.

im just saying that person should have stepped their game up rather than resort to tattle telling to get people DQ'd so they could win first. thats a bitch move. at least where i came from you dont snitch. beat them on the course. so i would say its a cheap shot, i understand the rules i just do not agree with them.

personally i wouldnt have pride in knowing i won because im a bitch and snitched. would that be satisfying?

snitching on someone? what are we, in grade school? i have never smoked but i have no problem with people lighting up on the course.

also i wouldnt say that they are dependent on a substance so that is out of line and an over exaggeration.

im just saying that person should have stepped their game up rather than resort to tattle telling to get people DQ'd so they could win first. thats a bitch move. at least where i came from you dont snitch. beat them on the course. so i would say its a cheap shot, i understand the rules i just do not agree with them.

personally i wouldnt have pride in knowing i won because im a bitch and snitched. would that be satisfying?

you can look at it two ways: he won because he "told on people" or they lost because they weren't following the rules expressly written out for them. i don't know how stupid you have to be to try and pull that.

i will say that it might be an indicator of his moral fibre if he told them it was fine, he didn't care, and then used that against them intentionally to gain rank, but it doesn't matter. a person from a different card could have seen them; anybody could have and it may have had the same result. follow the rules.

i smoke, i drink, but rules in an event are rules. snitching is dumb; this is not "snitching". it's not like he sold them out to avoid possession or something.

So enforcing the rules is snitching now.
What do we call people that are not adult enough to own up to their own actions?

im ready for this to get landfilled. why is it snitching if someone is breaking a major rule of the sport.

I ****ing hate it when people act like they are entitled to use an illegal drug while competing in a sanctioned event.

People doing illegal drugs at a sanctioned event have absolutely nobody to blame but themselves should they happen to get DQ'd for violating PDGA rules and the law of the state they are in. It is that simple.

People doing illegal drugs at a sanctioned event have absolutely nobody to blame but themselves should they happen to get DQ'd for violating PDGA rules and the law of the state they are in. It is that simple.

:clap:

And just for the record there is nothing more frustrating then when you are in a tournament and someone asks... Hey is it ok if I (insert thing that is against the rules here), you don't mind do you? If you do this you are an absolute turd because you know it's against the rules and now you are putting me in the position of having to say no and then you get to be a D**k to me the rest of the round.

I have nothing wrong with people drinking alcohol or doing drugs which may or may not be legal so long as they don't harm anyone but themselves.

With that being said, I go to sanctioned PDGA events to compete and get away from that type of behavior. There are a ton of leagues and unsanctioned events that people can attend where there is a lot more leniency on those things.

I'm not going to call the cops on someone for doing something that is only harming themselves, but I paid money to not be subjected to those things. I have no love for those who break the rules and think they are somehow immune to them.

I'd agree with this----if you tweeners stopped texting in traffic, doorways, movie theaters, church[seen it], school, court, etc.

Latest posts