• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Inter-generational disc golf relationships?

ReedyCreekProduct

Birdie Member
Any healthy father/son disc golf relationships out there?

Mother/daughter?

Father/daughter?

Mother/son?

Does disc golf bring your family closer?

It seems like a great sport for "getting away from things", getting out of the routine, and having some parental bonding or simply important talks with younger people.

I'd love to hear about it.

I'm hoping that one of my 4 toddler nephews will want to play with me someday when they are old enough.....

My 6 year old has loved Tiki golf more than SpongeBob SquarePants since she was 4. We try to get out weekly in winter & thrice weekly in the other seasons.

My little brother is 16 years younger than me and he loves the game. He's a very good natural player too.

My youngest son, who is 10, loves to play.
My oldest, 12, likes to go with me and run to my discs after I throw them to help. He doesn't enjoy playing though.

I have putting practice with both kids a couple times a week. They are 4 and 2. They love going to the course. They're too young to play a full round but we get to picnic and have a great time outdoors.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Both of my parents and both of my girlfriend's parents enjoy coming to the course with us. Neither of our moms take it very seriously, but they come and play until they're tired and walk the rest of the course, or play from our drives. Both our dads have bags and several discs and love to come out and play with us on a pretty regular basis.

I got my in-laws to come out to a course. My mother-in-law hit a 60-footer. They both had bags and discs the next time I saw them. =) It's always that fluke n00b shot that injects plastic into their veins.

My younger brother and I play all the time. We started playing about a month apart, and I've played more rounds with him than any of my other friends or locals at the courses.

I also bought my girlfriend an archangel and r-pro aviar so she could come throw and hang out when we have a group going. She's not as into it as I am, but she played all 27 holes at DeLaveaga last weekend so maybe one day...

My dad and I started when I was 11 and he trucked me around to tournaments until I moved up to Pro.

A local 15 year old comes out and plays the monthly H-town C-tier with his dad as well and we even have a 5 year old who can throw a wicked sidearm who comes out and plays the Sunday minis.

I took my daughter out playing starting when she was 8. She quit a couple of years later, but now that she's 20, she wants to play again! She took me out to play Chavez Ridge for Father's Day last year and now she's got her boyfriend hooked as well!

Works for me :D

Got my son playing and my Fiances son. Had her teenage daughter and her boyfriend with us once, and some of her daughters other friends want to come out along with my fiances sister and husband (who play, just hasnt with us yet). Oldest brother came home for the first time in 10 years this last summer and got him out to play with me and my other brother. Oldest brother went back to Texas and got himself a bag, an Eagles a Shark and an Aviar.

It really is becoming a family thing for us.

It doesn't really bring my family together cuz my dad or mom never really new what disc golf was that was until i asked them if i could build a private course on their land.. they took a lil' interest in it, mainly when i was building it but on another not i do play with a few gentlemen that are old enough to be my dad and i really do enjoy my rounds with them(they inspired me to get into tournements, played for 7 years before getting in one). SO, i guess what i am trying to say that is inter-generation disc golf rounds are awesome and wonderful way for newer players to learn and just hear some good ole disc golf stories....

I'd say she's committed.

Slowly, but surely! She chained out one hole with a 40-foot line drive with her driver (celebration ensued) and got frustrated a couple holes later with her tee shot.

That's how it started for me anyway...wanting to throw a pretty shot and celebrating the few times it did happen, lol.

My dad kinda got me into DG indirectly. My brothers and dad used to play frisbee catch in the street growing up. Then me and my buddys came up with a "frisbee golf" course at our junior high school. Years before Oak Grove. Many, many years later - I've tried to get my daughter to play and they would if they were bored to tears. Now they play with there friends every once and awhile. Maybe one day the hook will sink. One thing about disc golf, I've met many very cool people. Young and old!

I started played almost two years ago as a way to spend time with two teenage sons that were home for the summer. They got me hooked. One doesn't play anymore but my youngest son will be playing a PDGA sanctioned tourney (his first) with me at the end of March.
We're at about the same skill level, so rounds are very competitive, but very friendly.

Got my brother in law into the game in the last few months. Working on the 15 & 17 daughters. One of my regular partners takes his 15 year old daughter out.

My older brother introduced me to disc golf a little over three years ago and then we got my dad into it shortly thereafter. My mom, sister, and sister-in-law played a little bit when the three of us first started out but it wasn't too long before they all stopped completely. I love going out to the course with my dad and my brother, though. The majority of our lives has revolved around soccer. Disc golf gives us an alternative setting, I really enjoy it.

My brother plays, and his son has been playing since he was 8. They've traveled to many tournaments since my nephew was 9 or 10; he's now 17 and they still play a great deal together.