• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Inter-generational disc golf relationships?

My nephew is nine and he saw me putting over the summer when he came over. I'm telling you, the kid's eyes lit up like it was the first time he had eaten chocolate. I keep my basket with me at school now, but every time he comes over now he asks where it is. There's a nine hole course with shorter holes next to my house, so when summer comes I'm gonna try to get him out there. He's tried wrestling, baseball, and basketball, but his dad puts a lot of pressure on him in these sports so he quit them. I'd like to be a no-stress role model, and I think that disc golf is the perfect sport.

I play disc golf with all of my family members...or at least I try to. :)
I dragged my folks out a couple of years ago, and they've started going on their own down in South Florida!
When my wife's mom and sister came down to visit FL, we took them out to the course and played 9...
I even coaxed my sister, her husband, and my 12 year old nephew out onto a course for 9.

I'm not sure if it's bringing the family together, or just getting me my disc golf fix...but either way I'm having fun!

I have taken 2 of my 11 year old cousins to play in 3 states (Sammy: NY, VA, PA & Jody: SC, VA, PA). I played a game with my dad, WillACarpenter's dad, DiscJon's Dad. I have also played at Calvert park with my students.

Almost killed my dad the first time I took him to play. My brothers and I went to Picnic Bend in San Angelo and took dad with us. As we were making our way down the hill after driving on hole #3, dad lost his footing and lost control going down the hill. Somehow he managed to stay upright the entire way. We promised not to tell mom so she would let him go out with us again the next time...

I love that my daughter and I get to play disc golf together. She has been playing disc golf since she was 8 years old, and we've had many great times together at tournaments, leagues, and just playing casual rounds. She is 14 years old now, and still loves the sport.

When she first started playing, every hole was a par 10 for her and a par 3 for me. She was so excited when she beat me by shooting a 179 (which is 1 under par playing every hole as a par 10) while I shot a one over par 55. As she played more rounds and got better we made each hole a par 9, then par 8, and so on until she was playing all holes as a par 3 just like me. When she was 12 years old, she finally beat me straight up. She shot a 53 and I shot a 54. I knew it would happen one day, but it happened much sooner than I expected. It was a blow to my ego to lose to a 12 year old girl when I'd been playing disc golf for over 20 years. However my bruised ego was nothing compared to the joy I felt watching her jumping up and down screaming with excitement at finally beating her dad. I was and still am very proud of her.

Although we've only played 4 rounds since summer (because she has been busy with high school basketball and club soccer), we have a great time together each time we play.

Rick

I played purely recreationally for several years until my dad took up disc golf. We started playing more regularly and I gradually got the bug to play more competitively after that. Disc golf has been really good for our relationship...something to spend time doing together.

I started playing about a year and half ago. My son joined me as a regular playing partner about a year ago. We play at least two rounds together every weekend.

We played doubles at our Ice Bowl this last weekend and had a ball.

As soon as DST kicks in, we'll play at least a couple times in the evening each week plus go to tourneys on the weekends.

Pretty nice when your kid is your best friend in life.

Woodpecker

I have putting practice with both kids a couple times a week. They are 4 and 2. They love going to the course. They're too young to play a full round but we get to picnic and have a great time outdoors.

I have a 4 yr old daughter and 2 yr old son as well... They LOVE disc golf. Although when I take them to the city courses with playgrounds (Deerfield, HB, LaMa) the urge to play on the playground takes over and they complain about playing DG. Last time I went to LaMa with just me and them I ended up playing 2 holes.

Looking forward to Casitas with them this summer (hopefully) looks like there is less distractions of the non-natural kind there. Are you able to go out just you and them, or do you have a designated helper as well to watch them (like a wife)? :\

I play with my daughter, she's 12 and we have been playing together for a couple of years now. I have played with my fiancé and my Dad once each also. My Dad seemed to like it, but my furnace was not that into it.

I play with my daughter, she's 12 and we have been playing together for a couple of years now. I have played with my fiancé and my Dad once each also. My Dad seemed to like it, but my furnace was not that into it.

That's cool about your daughter.

"My furnace"?

Funny, my dad is convinced we played some rounds of DG back in the early 90's. He bought like 3 discs from DTWorld and I found them in the garage the other day - in obviously unthrown condition. Like most other activities, he was into it at first and then he got caught up in work and never had "time" for it.

I would kill to play a round with him now. He even has a course that is a half mile from his house. Even bought discs for him and everything. The closest I get is catch and throw at the beach or park. Bought him an Innova Pulsar for Xmas... we haven't been out to throw it yet. Maybe sometime in the next year we will.

My husband and I play. My mom and her best friend play. Our son and his wife play. Hopefully our granddaughter will play sometime after her birth in June :hfive:

Mom (left) and her friend:
4271_1146881745475_1030482850_30455913_1352875_n.jpg

Hubby (left), son (center), and friend:
4271_1146888265638_1030482850_30455945_1468039_n.jpg

Daughter-in-law:
4271_1146881825477_1030482850_30455915_5452789_n.jpg

I am currently the stay at home dad for lack or work reasons. My 2.5 year old daughter is mostly at my side in her off road stroller, makes for a great bag carrier as well. She enjoys the fresh air and all the dogs she sees and plays with while I play. I also have my 6, 7 and 13 year old sons play with me when they are not in school and during summer. I need to give 2-3 free throws to the younger guys on our local 9 hole, but they love beating dad and their older brother. Can't get the wife out on the course, but my parents live in N. Carolina, and we had 3 generations playing this summer, good times.

well I've managed to get my wife playing with me, but my 16 yr old daughter and my 11 yr old daughter haven't quite gotten the bug.. Dunno why, but my hunch is that they get frustrated not being able to bomb discs out like Dad? I've tried to be supportive, but just hasn't taken hold with the kids at all

Would love to play a round with my Dad, he used to pitch baseball so I think he could develop a pretty mean FH shot pretty easy, I'll have him out here in Oregon this Summer, he's going out with us to play a round whether he knows it or not =)

We've got quite the spread of pdga # at my house:

John Rock - #4693
The Wife - #25205
The 10 Year Old - #26755
The 5 Year Old - #26754

We all play when we can make the time, and it's cool to see the boys playing DG in the back yard with their own rules ;)

Would choose playing a round with my Uncle that taught me the game, over any of my friends. Lets see he just turned 60 and im 24 so when i was 12 he was 48, thats the time when he started taking us, he got alot of his nieces and nephews into the sport. Im the only one that become obessed with it.