• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Invader

I have been throwing a Luster Invader for a month or so after watching another guy in the area shred with one. This Luster feels so tasty and the flight of this is so consistent without being overstable. I am normally a fan of overstable discs because of how easy they are to range, this one is so easy to range and is very point shoot. I would love to see it get more love.

Couple rounds in and finding the Luster Invader to be pretty neutral. With the flat top and VTech bottom the Invader mold looks like its a VAviar3. S/C-line P3x and Luster AviarX3 are both slightly deeper, more overstable, & wind resistant. Pretty similar stability, flatness, and depth to a Luster Aviar3.

I'd think the DX/Nexus ones would fly much like the D-Line P3x or DT Omega Driver. I remember the DX being pretty shallow when briefly picking one up at the local shop.

Anyone throwing the dx version of the invader? Innova had a bunch of F2's, kinda curios how these compare to a dx Rhyno

I too would be interested to know how the DX's are flying from somebody who's been using them. I've really enjoyed throwing my Luster Invader.

A guy on my card was throwing one. I like the luster invader a lot, but the nexus and dx are smaller in the hand. They seemed to have more high speed wiggle and did not fade. Slightly straighter than the luster, but awkward in my hand at least.

Picked up a couple Luster Invaders finally since Innova ran a few recently. Man these are sweet. I would say the flight numbers are pretty spot on. Doesn't have the beef of the Rhyno. Laser straight with just a mini fade at the end. I would say comparable to a "old" P2 in flight stability wise but flat to concave top. Maybe a bit shallower in the hand feel as well, which I like.

IMG_3907.heic

I need another putter like I need a hole in my head but these DX spoke to me and I was truly helpless to resist. I should try them out today and I'll report back when I do.

First impression is that they feel incredible, like a cross between DX and XT. I have a luster one already and think it's just ok but not anything I want to bag.

IMG_3907.heic

Last edited:
I grabbed one as well (DX that is). Straighter then the Luster, little less fade at the end of flight. Feels a tad smaller being DX (shallower) which I really love. I'm not sure these will be great for turnovers when beat in? Flat top/low glide and all. Might be good for a while till it's too beat. I like it so far.

I think these could be great putting putters as well. Not that I am looking to switch, but it's so straight (low fade) and pretty stable into even a mild wind. I could see people putting with these. Great feel.

Anyone that has played around with the DX and Bullfrogs and can compare the two?

After a short practice session I'm surprised by the stability. I found the fade to be substantial and earlier than expected. I did not notice much difference between the DX and the Luster in terms of flight.

Backhand I was getting pretty good D relative to my regular putters but again with more stability. In my hands the Luster Invader has an earlier and more pronounced fade than my Luster Aviar3. They can handle power.

I'm pretty much a spin putter and use Aviar P&As. Not surprising but as a putter the Invader has more hook than I like. They are quite shallow, and they feel great in the hand in DX, so if that is your preference you may like them. I did try some jump putts at 50' and had some success keeping them low and on a line.

The Invader is especially good at forehands. They are torque resistant and on a short approach up to 150' they are point and shoot. Released pretty flat they go straight with a little bit of turn and fade.

Overall I'd say the Invader feels weird to me which is usually my response to V-tec discs. Apart from the Wombat3 the transfer of power from my hand doesn't respond in the disc like I'm accustomed. They appear to be flying slowly with little glide but the distance is in line with comparable speed/stability discs. I'm sure some people can rip it up with an Invader but it's a disc I'd have to spend some time with to feel comfortable and consider bagging.

Invader seasonings

How are the Luster Invaders beating in for folks? Mine is now dead straight, with zero fade. Wondering how long it takes for them to get flippy?

In a perfect world, Innova should:

Stop making so many new molds. Maybe try like 1-2 a year (that includes tweaks and variations of existing molds which always should be labeled).

Stop tweaking molds without telling anybody and releasing them as the normal ones (because I love that every third Valk I pick up is a Valk+ :|)

Make your classic and beloved molds WELL and in good plastic options.

*cough* Viking3
*cough* Banshee3

Does anyone use this mold for putting? I've mostly used Wizards and have been playing around with a Link but always enjoy trying out different molds. With all the different plastic options it seems I could use the Luster Champ for throwing and maybe XT or DX for putting

Does anyone use this mold for putting? I've mostly used Wizards and have been playing around with a Link but always enjoy trying out different molds. With all the different plastic options it seems I could use the Luster Champ for throwing and maybe XT or DX for putting

Profile will feel thinner in the hand to Wizards. Inside the circle they put on par with most putters. Outside the circle you can put a decent pop on them and they straighten out to a nice point and shoot putter. I played recently at a course with two short par 3's nailed the pole on both. Just a great driving and throwing putter. Star is a tick more stable then the DX but both have found a spot in my bag.