• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is a Beast what im looking for?

valkyrie

Double Eagle Member
I made a thread awhile back abotu the next step up from a teebird. I can throw my Teebird ~375, but i was looking for something that will get me out further on longer holes than ~400, would a beast be what im looking for? I like the smaller rimed drivers. I also thought of trying my Pro Starfires, but they have a little bigger rim.

PD flies more like a Teebird (with a little Eagle) but with the speed of a Valk. I use a Valk and S-PD for distance drivers and work well together.

I would say no. I've owned and thrown the Beast in DX, Pro and Champion and they were all flippy. I'm not ragging on them though, and I use a broken in Pro Beast for turnovers and have gotten my longest measured throw (426 ft) with it, but it was a crazy left to right flight that needed lots of room to complete.

I intially had problems with my Champ Beast for a while in that it would turn over a little bit and be a little unpredictable for my. I have since been using it a lot and think that I have figured this disc out a little more and find that it is relatively striaght with a moderate fade at the end. I must say that it did take a little work to get there, but I now use it for most of my distance drives.

I love my star beast but it can be a bit unpredictable in the wind or if its thrown with too much power behind it. It can fly beautifully or flip into the ground, its a very fine line ive noticed.

I have a Pro Beast and it's squirrely at best. My buddy throws a Star Beast really well, but anytime he uses my Pro it's a mess. Same weight as his Star and roughly the same state of wear but much more unpredictable. I'm not slamming the Beast mold, but I am saying that I haven't had great experiences with it.

I made a thread awhile back abotu the next step up from a teebird. I can throw my Teebird ~375, but i was looking for something that will get me out further on longer holes than ~400, would a beast be what im looking for? I like the smaller rimed drivers. I also thought of trying my Pro Starfires, but they have a little bigger rim.

If you want a max distance disc, look at a Surge or Wraith, 2.1 cm rim. If you want a faster, stable, and straight disc (meaning Teebird like flight) I would go with a PD. The PD has a 1.9 cm rim. Other discs in this catagory would be the Striker, OLF, and Avenger, all with the 1.9 rim.

How far do you throw your Eagles? Some might say the OLF and Eagles could overlap. The Beast seems to be a bit controversial, with your power, I don't think you need understable...you'd be better with a stable driver, beat it in a bit, and put another new on next to it. Then you have stable and a more controllable hyzer flip/ turning disc, rather than "squirrelly"

I finally beat in an Avenger X and it is an awsome hyzer flip and S turn disc, but more reliable than my Valkyrie was.

Last edited:
Too much turn to be comparable to a Teebird IMO. Better (straight with slight fade) choices would be Orc, PD, Striker, and SOLF. Lovin' my S PD.

I carry 2 SOLFs and a Striker. I'd recommend checking out both if you like straight discs. The SOLF will get flippy when it gets beat up...which is good, and why I have 2. I use one for understable bomb shots. Striker will flatten, go straight then fade slightly at the end. Mine's opto yellow and hard to see but you can't beat that plastic.

I haven't used a PD but an Orc may be the next step up for you as well. I think that was my go to after I migrated from TeeBirds as main drivers.

No a Beast is not what you are looking for. the New mold Beasts are way too understable/Flippy and the Old Molds are a pain in the ass to find. an Orc is a great disc but if you can throw a TB 370+ then the Orc will be flippy too. you should really check out a SOLF, a PD or an Avenger (not the SS model).

but if you like the rim size of a TB and can really throw it 400' don't change it. the faster discs are harder to grip and are more nose angle sensitive. and if you are complaining about the rim size of an SL then you won't like a Beast an Orc a SOLF or a PD. you may like the Striker.

No a Beast is not what you are looking for. the New mold Beasts are way too understable/Flippy and the Old Molds are a pain in the ass to find. an Orc is a great disc but if you can throw a TB 370+ then the Orc will be flippy too. you should really check out a SOLF, a PD or an Avenger (not the SS model).

but if you like the rim size of a TB and can really throw it 400' don't change it. the faster discs are harder to grip and are more nose angle sensitive. and if you are complaining about the rim size of an SL then you won't like a Beast an Orc a SOLF or a PD. you may like the Striker.

Thanks for the info! Ill try a striker if i can find someone trading one away :D

If you can put 375 on a tee bird you're probably gonna need a really fast disc to beat that D, at the cost of the straightness of your line though. You can hyzer flip a Rogue for some serious D and a pretty straight line, and it has a pretty small rim. I've only gotten it to about 400 myself but I don't get tee birds more than 325-350.