• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Looking for 8 speed slightly overstable drivers

twistedraven

Eagle Member
I'm looking for that Teebird/Thunderbird shape in a true 8 speed fairway driver (18mm rim). I'm currently ironing out my minimal bag, and I'm rocking 2 FDs for my straight shape, a Roadrunner as my understable shape, and two Thunderbirds as my slightly overstable shape. The issue I have with the Thunderbirds is that they fly perhaps too far-- nearly as far as my Destroyer. The whole 'Thunderbirds are longer Teebirds' is pretty true I'm finding. That and I wouldn't mind the novelty of just trying something new out.

Does anybody have any ideas?

For the moment i have the TSA VOTUM in the bag. . TSAs fairway setup is REALLY strong

RPM Huia is another nice 1,8cm

Not sure about the actual measurements but I've always enjoyed the Volt. Domey cosmic neutron ones are money.

Mint Alpha. PDGA says it's a 2.0 but there's no way. Feels in between a TeeBird and Thundy to me. Goes far, takes all the power, great HSS but not too overstable. They have a little bit more carry for me than a TeeBird, similar to a Thunderbird really. But I mean, we're starting to split hairs here.

The Terra is pretty stable, might be a little much. Might be worth a shot.

I have tried Volts, and they're not quite high speed stable enough for what I'm looking for. I'll need to find someone who has a Votum so I can try it out, same with the Huia.

My local pro shop has plenty of Alphas. I have felt them and they're quite nice. Plenty beefy too. I'll have to measure one next time I go.

Terra has peaked my interest too. Slightly more overstable than a Thunderbird can work as well.

DGA Pipeline and/or Banzai. Had a Proline Pipeline that beat in relatively quickly and developed some high speed turn so Banzai may be more up your alley if you want something more OS

Check out our new Reptilian Disc Golf Chameleon.

It has a 2.0 rim but is quite blunt.

I have it rated as an 8.5 speed. Noticeably slower than a thundy but a smidge more speed VS a Teeb.

I love it for 350 ft controllable shots. The rim shape is also supremely comfy.

I don't know exact measurements but feel that the Explorer/Instinct/Exodus/TL3 all are a bit straighter/longer flying than the Teebird (premium, new). Nothing beats a well worn Teebird though...

I'm not looking for a straight disc, but moreso an overstable complement to my C-FDs. The Thunderbird is great, but it's just so long. I know, I know... one could just say 'hey don't throw it so hard,' but I like throwing things hard and flat, and I feel that if I let too much steam off on the Thunderbird, then it starts getting really dumpy. I ordered a Terra and am curious to try it out.

Ideally I'd want something like what I used to bag, which was a Thundervant run Thunderbird (Savant embossed on bottom) My particular sample had a high PLH and flat top compared to most Thunderbirds. It flew like a dream. I still have it, but it's older and more beat-in, and also not the right color.

So slightly slower like an 8 speed Thunderbird, or a slightly more overstable Thunderbird that I can mash reliably is kinda what I'm after.

A Firebird and Thunderbird are two completely different discs. Even a Sexton Firebird is wildly more overstable than a Thunderbird (although I hear the '22s are pretty straight by Sexton Firebirds standards).

A Firebird and Thunderbird are two completely different discs. Even a Sexton Firebird is wildly more overstable than a Thunderbird (although I hear the '22s are pretty straight by Sexton Firebirds standards).

There can be some overlap between the two. There was a beefy run of Star Thunderbirds not too long before embossing started that were definitely beefier than any of my 3x and penned 4x Champs. There are also some Champs on the beefier side. IMO both of these are comparable to more "mellow" Firebirds and especially '21 and '22 Sextons.

The beefier Thunderbirds and more mellow Firebirds are basically interchangeable.

I wish I knew how to pick out or where to get these overstable runs of Thunderbirds. I'm going to see how the Terra treats me and go from there.

I wish I knew how to pick out or where to get these overstable runs of Thunderbirds. I'm going to see how the Terra treats me and go from there.

There are so many discs in the "kinda like a thunderbird" category that are great, but none are quite as good as a "good thunderbird." Based on some of your comments it sounds like you might want a terra. But I have a meat hook champ thunderbird if you want it.

There are so many discs in the "kinda like a thunderbird" category that are great, but none are quite as good as a "good thunderbird." Based on some of your comments it sounds like you might want a terra. But I have a meat hook champ thunderbird if you want it.

I'd totally want meathook champ thunderbirds, but my only issue is I'm trying to get a purple one for my purple themed bag. If it's a color that can be dyed purple easily enough, I'd be interested! I'm also going to see how the Terra flies too.

I'm looking for that Teebird/Thunderbird shape in a true 8 speed fairway driver (18mm rim). I'm currently ironing out my minimal bag, and I'm rocking 2 FDs for my straight shape, a Roadrunner as my understable shape, and two Thunderbirds as my slightly overstable shape. The issue I have with the Thunderbirds is that they fly perhaps too far-- nearly as far as my Destroyer. The whole 'Thunderbirds are longer Teebirds' is pretty true I'm finding. That and I wouldn't mind the novelty of just trying something new out.

Does anybody have any ideas?

I'm going to recommend a disc that will blow minds. Hasn't been mentioned yet. Must be unique/unheard of around here. Drum roll please...

Teebird3

Game, set, match

;-)

Last edited:
Teebird 3 is not a "true speed 8" as it has a 17 mm rim like the Teebird

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk