• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is anyone else still using quads?

Still have my Phenix quads on my Gorilla Boy Kong that I bought over a decade ago. Don't see myself switching it up anytime soon.

Has anyone tried the Voodoo straps? $10 is almost to cheap.

I'm curious as well. My Phenix Quads bit the dust this weekend, and $10 seems too good.

^ $10 is good, but they also want $10 shipping. Now it's $20 and I have to stop and think about it.....

Thats when I say, "So that means I can get a backup Karma for $39, free shipping..." I usually break off at the blue or purple decision. Or buy 2, IDK.

Have voodoo straps, phenix, dga, brownbelt, dynamic straps (wide and thin, used fade, and Innova straps.

Most comfortable: Voodoo- the way the cushioning makes it the most comfortable, although doesn't have the most padding, so if you use the one shoulder sling method it can get squished on the one shoulder.

Most durable: Phenix, but you can't get them anymore. Second up would be a tie between the dynamic wide straps and the voodoo.

Cushioning durability: Dynamic Wide straps- least likely to have padding bunch up

Best hardware: Phenix, then tie for all but the Innova and fade. Hardware clip snapped on each. Could just be a fluke but...

Straps that dig into the shoulders the most: Innova, Fade, Dynamic thin. Phenix straps come in behind them.

Best straps for larger people: Dynamic Wide straps

Best straps for girls: Voodoo (my has tested them all too and this her preference.

Springy-est or straps for those who like low riding bags: Brownbelt, then DGA, followed by Phenix. (Phenix is springy, but doesn't sit as low)

Best for a long day: Voodoo and Dynamic for a traditional feel, DGA or Brownbelt for springy feel.

Coolest feature: Fade with the rainfly, only straps with a truly unique feature

Best gel straps: Brownbelt

If I think of any other helpful information I'll post later.

I splurged and bought an Upper Park Rebel last year. I still use my DisCarrier and quads, and even my old Fade Crunch with the quads more often than I do the Rebel.

It's no knock on the Rebel, it's a really nice, well built bag. I just like the wide open top and the various pockets better on the DisCarrier.

Matter of fact, my 8+ year old Phenix quads are starting to fall apart. What's everyone using nowadays since Phenix is OOB?

Only quads I've tried are the DGA Gel Straps, maybe others are better. I always had issues with the bag bouncing off my lower back when I walked to the point it was uncomfortable. Maybe this was an issue where I didn't have them adjusted properly but I've never had that issue with a backpack style bag. It seems like the weight is distributed more evenly.

Matter of fact, my 8+ year old Phenix quads are starting to fall apart. What's everyone using nowadays since Phenix is OOB?

Well the ones I see people use are the Gel straps from DGA, an uncle had that for his Innova Competition bag and before that he used the straps with a DGA Elite Shield before a fire at his house. Now that uncle has the Innova Deluxe with a single strap. I have seen another person use with a fishing bag that has 2 spots for drinks on it yes he uses a fishing bag as it is bigger then a Innova deluxe/Discraft Tournament bag but smaller then or lighter then a Innova Competition with Innova straps on the bag, the bag has spots to hook on quad straps but uses Innova Quad Straps from his Innova Competition bag that is now where he keeps spare discs of molds he uses in his bag. Others I see using the Straps from Dynamic Discs though they are only trying to support the brand closest to where I live, using that brands stuff.

Do not get the Infinite brand as they are a bit small for larger people and have to be be worked in a bit to fit larger people.

I splurged and bought an Upper Park Rebel last year. I still use my DisCarrier and quads, and even my old Fade Crunch with the quads more often than I do the Rebel.

It's no knock on the Rebel, it's a really nice, well built bag. I just like the wide open top and the various pockets better on the DisCarrier.

Odd. The lack of a wide-open top was one of my main annoyances when I tried a backpack. I figured it was peculiar to me.

Odd. The lack of a wide-open top was one of my main annoyances when I tried a backpack. I figured it was peculiar to me.

I prefer this too...it's why my main bag is a FADE Crunch. I use a UPD Shift for tournaments but definitely prefer the top opening of the old school bags.

The UPD Rebel is probably the most accessable as far as backpack bags go, but it's still not as open as the good ol' boxy tourney bags.

I carry 12-16 usually. At that number the Rebel is kind of overkill.

Last edited:

Almost as if I was foreshadowing things, my phenix straps finally bit it for good yesterday. They held up admirably the last couple years, even as some of the stitching had already gone completely. (Though not where the eventual failure happened.)

Time to pick out some new straps.

Almost as if I was foreshadowing things, my phenix straps finally bit it for good yesterday. They held up admirably the last couple years, even as some of the stitching had already gone completely. (Though not where the eventual failure happened.)

Time to pick out some new straps.

Oh noes!! :(:(

The ones to say away from InnocentCrook is the Infinate straps as they are kind of small for full grown adults, I am getting that brand for fathers day and they will be just big enough to work for my dad on his odd bag used for disc golf.

The ones to say away from InnocentCrook is the Infinate straps as they are kind of small for full grown adults, I am getting that brand for fathers day and they will be just big enough to work for my dad on his odd bag used for disc golf.

I'm a full grown adult and I really like my infinite straps. I use them to turn a Discraft tournament (shoulder) bag into a backpack of sorts. For $10, they were worth it.

DGA gel straps on a gorilla boy chimp for my big bag. very comfortable adjusted well. mine gels have held up 5 or 6 years with a couple easy stitch repairs.
(most rounds for me with a gorilla boy spider monkey and a single strap. converted old ball golf cart for some rounds that chimp clips onto)

I just pulled the trigger on a set of Voodoo straps for my backup bag (Voodoo Karma). I'm going to keep it in the car with some backup discs from now on just in case I want to get in a quick round when I don't have my main bag (Octothorpe) handy. Now I just need one of those small & cheap coolers from Trader Joe's and I'll have an ideal cheap setup for casual rounds.

I'm a full grown adult and I really like my infinite straps. I use them to turn a Discraft tournament (shoulder) bag into a backpack of sorts. For $10, they were worth it.

That is good. Mine were $19 online and I got ripped off for the price, now if they were $10-$12 they would be worth it.

DGA gel straps on a gorilla boy chimp for my big bag. very comfortable adjusted well. mine gels have held up 5 or 6 years with a couple easy stitch repairs.
(most rounds for me with a gorilla boy spider monkey and a single strap. converted old ball golf cart for some rounds that chimp clips onto)

Not Sure if I said this on here but an uncle had the DGA Gel Straps on a DGA bag. He liked the hard side pouch on the full sized bag he uses for sunglasses. This was before he lost his old disc golf stuff in a fire. Now he has a single strap for his Innova Deluxe bag, said last I talked with him that he might get some basic straps for that bag from my cousin/his son that he used on his old bag if they are in good shape still.

I just pulled the trigger on a set of Voodoo straps for my backup bag (Voodoo Karma). I'm going to keep it in the car with some backup discs from now on just in case I want to get in a quick round when I don't have my main bag (Octothorpe) handy. Now I just need one of those small & cheap coolers from Trader Joe's and I'll have an ideal cheap setup for casual rounds.

Great minds...
I bought 2 pairs this afternoon. Figured I could cut shipping in half that way.

Latest posts