• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] is Innova's DX plastic, is it even worth it?

I usually play with a full cart of primarily Star. I also have a shoulder bag of assorted non-Innova branded discs in good plastics. The most fun my friend and I have is when we decide to bring the shoulder bags of cheap discs, which are all DX. I like the way DX feels in the hand. It's fun to cycle them because of the low cost, and to watch how they change. I have a very banged up, hot pink 166 Destroyer with deep gouges across the flight plate. It barely turns any more but I'd be sad if I lost it.

This thread kindof reminds me of the quest I was on to import BT Giants for a while there... Eventually I decided that waxy baseline drivers just season too fast in the PNW where every course you play is a heavy woods course.

Pro serves a lot of the purpose for me that DX seems to serve for others - grip, less stability (usually? Im lookin at you freak OLFs), and faster cycling until I get a premium mold properly worn.
I love DX at up to fairway speeds. For speed 9 and above, Pro is the way to go.

The slow speed discs last longer than people think in DX, but on the higher speeds they deform or gash really easily. Pro is significantly more durable than DX, but with a flight much closer to DX than star and champ.

Really wish I could find true overstable discs in the shitty plastics. G-star would be my next preference, but not much selection there either.

DX feels like a the plastic of a dog bowl. And after you hit two trees it flies like a dog bowl.

I have all my discs in premium plastic. Also i am a big subscriber to the "out of the box" philosophy. If i need to beat in a disc to get it to fly as i want, i pick a different disc.

It's been stated a lot already but just want to chime in again. DX is great for OS/Neutralish molds up to ~9 speeds. It will lose some stability for sure but the main thing is they just don't tolerate any OAT. My DX drivers are good out to around 300 feet but if I try too hard or don't get a clean release that's when they turn and burn.

And Dx plastic flies like a dog bowl after two tree hits... even though i just threw a round with a 2 year old Dx bird that flew just fine for 300 feet and beyond.

The slow speed discs last longer than people think in DX, but on the higher speeds they deform or gash really easily. Pro is significantly more durable than DX, but with a flight much closer to DX than star and champ.

Really wish I could find true overstable discs in the shitty plastics. G-star would be my next preference, but not much selection there either.

Like what?

Have you tried a DX Gator? DC makes Zones in a few terrible plastics. Baseline Harps are amazeballs.

I havent seen DX Vipers or Whippets in a little while.

Innova Pro Shop has DX Banshees right now. No idea how those fly.

(M)illennium baseline is the same as Innova Pro. Millennium OLFs (Thunderbird), Scorpius (Destroyer), and Quasars (Boss) can be pretty overstable until seasoned. All of those Innova molds are also available in Pro.

The Infinite Scepter in I-Blend (slightly more durable Pro) is basically a flat FB, but available in that mid grade, grippy plastic we love! I bag it as part of my winter/wet weather bag and it works great as my main FH disc. The Roman (OG PD mold) is also available in I-Blend as is a majority of the Infinite lineup.

I think some of it depends on the mold and the rim size... dx wraiths were nice i was getting 30ft extra over a champ, dx rocs and rhyno can have a long wear cycle. I also one disced it with a Scorpion for about 5yrs until I cracked it. I've also deformed some in less than a month.

Some of the Townies would come over for a tourney and just destroy their favourite dx discs in a weekend
Rocks and trees oh my,
Kiss your seasoned teebird goodbye.

Soft electron envy are the only baseline I throw, it is totally worth cycling those.

Edit: Oh man and I just saw the dx viper and gator comment, those were good... of course back in those days the discraft elite x was far superior to dx and I started switching brands.. but the new x is gross especially when you know what you're missing

Last edited:
I have a couple and they seem reasonably beefy (don't have much arm). They're stamped 7/3/0/3. They also haven't changed all that much unlike the DX Firebirds I got at the same time which have some turn to them now.

Of course the Banshees are also OOP so once they're gone, they're gone.

I've been at a loss why DX Banshees aren't more popular. They fly overstable to start, season into perfect straight discs that can handle torque. I've got some 10+ year old banshees that are beat to death and they still fly 325+ with no turn.

Like what?

Have you tried a DX Gator? DC makes Zones in a few terrible plastics. Baseline Harps are amazeballs.

I havent seen DX Vipers or Whippets in a little while.

(M)illennium baseline is the same as Innova Pro. Millennium OLFs (Thunderbird), Scorpius (Destroyer), and Quasars (Boss) can be pretty overstable until seasoned. All of those Innova molds are also available in Pro.

I've not tried a gator and maybe I should.
Agree on the harps. I have a soft baseline one somewhere.

Right now, I have a stego as the only consistently overstable in all conditions disc in my bag.
A destroyer, a fresh max weight wraith, and a freak valk are the other overstables that I'm bagging. All resist turn well, but won't necessarily fade hard when thrown into a stiff headwind.

I have a DX banshee, but it is straighter than I'm looking for and will also flip in a headwind.

I'm going to pickup a gstar firebird as the faster complement to the stego. I'll look into a dx gator too.

I don't throw really overstable discs a ton, but in some situations nothing else will do.

Latest posts