• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] is Innova's DX plastic, is it even worth it?

I don't like the different stages of wear game, so I don't carry a lot of DX when I play a round.

I love the different stages of wear game, so I carry a bunch of DX when I play a round.

Is your bag a billion discs wide what with your four comets and eighty TP cyclones and "a bunch of DX"? :p

I agree with the majority so far. I think certain DX discs are actually better in DX versus premium plastic. I also agree with the fact that DX discs have superior glide, and also love the wear stages of good DX discs. My Gazelle that I throw and love very much is sweetest in seasoned-up DX plastic. I have a CFR Gazelle and it flies very different compared to my beat-in DX. Not to mention all the love for the DX Roc's.

I think a big part is the actual disc that is in DX. Certain discs seem to be better in DX, while others shine in premium plastic.

I disagree with the speed thing somewhat....Champion Leopard is my absolute favorite disc and it's only a speed 6. I don't even own a DX one. But I like 'em pretty stable and I like them to stay the same for a long time--I carry a small bag and like to have a 'money' disc I know/love. I pretty much use star/champ for anything I drive with, and will putt/approach with KC pro or DX.

Is your bag a billion discs wide what with your four comets and eighty TP cyclones and "a bunch of DX"? :p
I really don't use a bunch of molds, so even if I have four Comets and three Cyclones my total number of discs is usually around 16-17.

All you have to watch out for is overlap. I love Comets and I love Rocs, but they cover a lot of the same shots. I really can't carry four Rocs AND four Comets, so I have to pick one. A guy I play with a lot makes fun of me because I throw Cyclones on so many tees, but that is how my bag is set up. If I tried to carry as many molds as he does and have several in various stages of wear like I do, I would have a billion discs in my bag.

I'm just teasing. My 164g ESP Cyclone is what I throw on most tees also. I carry a heavier one that I use less often.

I really appreciate all the feedback given on this topic, one thing that would be helpful if anyone has it, would be a list of disc that are good or better with DX and ones that should be used with better plastic.

I really appreciate all the feedback given on this topic, one thing that would be helpful if anyone has it, would be a list of disc that are good or better with DX and ones that should be used with better plastic.
That's going to be very subjective. For me the TeeBird is a disc I like a lot better in DX than anything else, but a lot of people will disagree with that. It ends up being a matter of preference.

To generalize, most putter, mids and fairway drivers will be good DX discs.

Seeing that I throw dc, I like that they're doing more pro d, but upset about the lack of elite x.

I carry a super beat DX Destroyer as a roller disc. After about a week or two the thing was so beat I could only use it for that. That being said, the fact that they beat in like they do can be an advantage if there is an over stable mold you like in DX, you can get the same disc and make it an understable disc for you.

Like everyone has said, it is personal preference, even for that list of discs that are "better in DX".

I think it has it's place. I still love the good ol DX for my Aviars. But as far as drivers and such, I don't think so. You get to that point where you finally figure out a disc and the flight patterns start changing on you and eventually becomes too understable. I like the wear of premium plastics as they are more consistant and slower in their wear patterns.

It depends on what you are using it for. If you only play occasionally, only play open grassy courses, or are constantly shooting over water, then DX is probably for you. It also flies differently than the premium plastics do. And the quickness they become beat in sometimes is a pro not a con. My opinion is use it if you like it, don't if you don't.
\
Voted: Best Post of the Thread.
Not much more needs to be said.

but i will..
For beginners, i think DX is great. It's inexpensive and fairly durable (noobs cant throw very hard anyway.)

For the rest of us... it depends on the purpose. Sometimes, when i get a "new disc itch" i'll go buy an experiment disc in DX to see if it's worth buying in Champion or Star. *My bag is basically set, and i have a very good idea of what most discs that i dont (or havent) owned do...
or
There are some that like how DX throws "out of the box" (see Avery Jenkins - Dx Destroyer - Distance Record Attempt Disc).. There is something to be said about having consistency out of the box in a very cheap method.
or
DX Roc ('nuff said)
DX Aviar

Well... i'll take a weird stance on this one:

RHBH: Valk / Wraith/ Beast - DX rotation is the way to go. Would not trade my beat in valk. for anything.

Different stages of life= slightly different flight path = the 6 inches you needed to get past that last tree.

Plus you can buy two (for the stages) for the price of one star plastic disc

RHFH/ Sidearm: Champion discs: easier to control off the tee on most days

Star Plastic I use sparingly, lots of heavy woods and water in my area. only thing I carry is a Star teerex, for hard, shorter banking shots.

Putters: Dx or star...i'll play either ( Have a Star Ont. Roc and Dx aviar in my bag)

Midrange: dx seems to work best in general, better grip for those tight shots

Last edited: