• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it cool to cut down saplings?

mrjohnahawley

Just wondering if it is acceptable to cut down saplings on a course while playing.
Recently some friends and I were at a course that had a temporary hole in place in the woods due to some construction near another hole. It was tightly wooded, and damn near impossible to throw anything besides a tomahawk. My friend promptly whipped out a camp saw and proceeded to cut down 6 or so of the saplings in what should have been the fairway. Since it is temporary I assume its not a big deal. But, if it were a permanent hole would it still be OK?

Absolutely not. Unless they are the course designer/pro. If it had been tourney play it would have been an immediate DQ. They possibly would have looked into some kind of suspension as well. They don't take that very lightly. As DG'ers we try to be as eco friendly as possible after some obvious initial course development.

Not cool, whether or not the hole is temporary. Unless you designed the hole or are under the supervision of the person who did, it's unacceptable to do anything to the foliage on the course.

What's the verdict for kicking dead branches and limbs out of your way to make your lie more comfy?

Not completely true, dead is removable. But I do get your point. I was really stunned to see my friend do this, but on the upside the area it was in is notoriously a spot for homeless camping.....and littering.

What's the verdict for kicking dead branches and limbs out of your way to make your lie more comfy?

Moving stuff that's dead and on the ground as long as it's behind your lie is allowed by the rules, and not likely to change the hole. In fact, that's one easy way to make your local course look a little nicer, go out and move all the dead twigs and branches that end up cluttering up the fairways. If it's dead stuff that is still on a tree, or a whole dead tree though, not ok to move it or cut it down.

I believe its acceptable. It has been a while since I played a sanctioned tournament, and I certainly havent had a chance to see the newest rule book. But, it was explained to me when I started that it was acceptable to move any sticks, branches, or other material as long as the lie itself is not moved.

Bad Karma!!

Not Good!! Not Good!! :thmbdown: Aside from the previously stated stuff, it is wicked bad karma!!! :doh: Respect the trees!! I make it a point to hug at least one, if not many, trees during each round. :cool:

I believe its acceptable. It has been a while since I played a sanctioned tournament, and I certainly havent had a chance to see the newest rule book. But, it was explained to me when I started that it was acceptable to move any sticks, branches, or other material as long as the lie itself is not moved.

Can't move anything in front of the lie.

Never piss off the tree gods...they will branch and twig your drives and kick your disc ever so skillfully way off the fairway! Seriously, If it was a temp hole who cares just play one hole with all tomahawks...sounds fun to me! I remember a discussion about a hole that incorporated a tomahawk into design!

You should try not to move anything behind your lie except what is absolutely necessary during a competition. What's behind you now will be in front of the next group coming behind you. Ideally, you want the hole to play the same for everyone in the competition which includes what their discs might strike or skip off of on the ground.

Yep, that is how I attacked that hole before. And I do hug a trees often. I am tree friendly, thats why I posted this to see if my opinion of my friends actions was a little over the top. Not just rule wise, because honestly we dont play competitively, so rules dont really apply there. But, eco wise, it sucks!

Generally, taking out vegetation isn't cool at all, but we tend to make an exception for Himalayan Blackberries. Those things are not only horrible and thorny, but a damaging invasive species to boot.

Generally, taking out vegetation isn't cool at all, but we tend to make an exception for Himalayan Blackberries. Those things are not only horrible and thorny, but a damaging invasive species to boot.

If it's an established thing that a certain type of plant is fair game to take out on a course, especially if it's something like that where it's nasty to get discs out of and it tends to take over, I don't think anyone is saying that's an issue.

Never piss off the tree gods...they will branch and twig your drives and kick your disc ever so skillfully way off the fairway! Seriously, If it was a temp hole who cares just play one hole with all tomahawks...sounds fun to me! I remember a discussion about a hole that incorporated a tomahawk into design!

That convo was with me I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaIS9E-jAcI

and cutting down trees, or removing any vegetation, without talking with the course management is an absolute no no.

Latest posts