• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it cool to cut down saplings?

the prerube you know usually sits at the computer instead of playing on the course. I played 7 new courses in the past 2 days, I was too tired to link, but here you go...

Go to post 24 :)

I personally cut down every tree I come across with a judy chop. Maybe a ninjy chop.

If the course is not being maintained it is ok. I cut down burr plants without hesitation.

you should still have permission from either the course director or parks and planning because they are the ones who get hassled when the town says "who is removing the young trees?"

If the course is not being maintained I am sure the director would love the help, but you should still ask.

All the plants are biding their time and plotting our demise. WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?!?

I'm sure this was said before but I don't feel like reading through all of the posts.

If you are so concerned about course maintenance, please make the small effort to contact those you might think are in charge of the course before going all gung ho and cutting down stuff. Alot of times those who are in charge of actually keeping up the courses would gladly welcome any help.

I admit I get pretty frustrated when I go out to one of the courses I helped build and see trees or saplings busted up because someone personally thought they should be removed.
Here's some general rules I go by in tree removal;

I consider saplings "replacement trees". These are the trees that will replace the older ones when they die out, fall over etc. It takes 10 years at the minimum for a tree to grow to a size where it'll actually preform a service as a proper obstacle on a fairway. So leave the saplings alone and let your local course designer or parks and rec decide if they should be removed or not!

Dead/dieing trees should only be removed it they either pose a hazard or may be diseased. Alot of times, and this is almost due to poor protection of the tree from disc hits, a tree may have to be removed due to death. But in turn you have to look at it and ask yourself if it'll effect the tee shot in an adverse way it the tree is removed. Will you have to possibly move the tee to keep the flavor of the hole if the said tree is removed?

Lots of stuff to keep in mind when thinking of taking out trees.

At my home course, tree cutting was getting out of control. People were trying to make the course easier, so they parks department put up a sign that says that if you are caught cutting trees, you will be arrested and prosecuted.

the thorn removal at Giles run (while appreciated) got out of control too and the parks department told Timber he had to stop.