• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it cool to cut down saplings?

You deffinatly cant move anything in you lie unless you can prove it hasnt been there from the begining of the round... while your not playing you can pick up any dead material from the ground.. any active course manitence should be aproved by local club affiliates..

Not Good!! Not Good!! :thmbdown: Aside from the previously stated stuff, it is wicked bad karma!!! :doh: Respect the trees!! I make it a point to hug at least one, if not many, trees during each round. :cool:

Might have to start doing that with all the Hate I get from the trees down here

Why are we cutting down trees? In park could be vandalism.
For recent construction at my old university they had to
plant two trees for everyone they cut down.

if you need to ask if it's cool, it usually isn't

Do you think the course designer should also be consulted before branches of trees are removed? There's a local at our course that does this often and I think he's doing it for his own benefit specifically for his lines.

Do you think the course designer should also be consulted before branches of trees are removed? There's a local at our course that does this often and I think he's doing it for his own benefit specifically for his lines.

Probably not, but it certainly depends on the situation.

Some places the designer is no longer involved with the course. You can't defer to him forever, or let the vegetation swallow his design.

Some places have a club making pruning decisions. Or someone assigned by the club. For some, the parks department does it (for better or worse).

Some places it's just a local, the "old pro" of the area, who has been granted more-or-less dominion over tree-cutting decisions. Could your local be that guy?

Yea, that's a good point. I am on the board of our club and we haven't really discussed it. We had a course supervisor but there was an incident where he knocked down our club president at doubles. This guy just started doing it after that and no one has complained, so we've let him continue cutting at will. We have two big tourney's coming up in July and the course designer is going to do some maintenance with us.

Parks and Rec doesn't seem to help us at all lately. We've got some serious cabbage just off the fairways, trees/limbs falling, and it's really tough to keep everything maintained right now.

I have a question. What if there is no course management, the course has been abandoned by the city, and the only people who use the course are the few disc golfers in the area? On my home home course we have designed about 50 holes using zero of the original tee pads, and we do some course maintenance here and there, but if we don't nobody else will.

I have a question. What if there is no course management, the course has been abandoned by the city, and the only people who use the course are the few disc golfers in the area? On my home home course we have designed about 50 holes using zero of the original tee pads, and we do some course maintenance here and there, but if we don't nobody else will.

I would say general course maintenance is a must but would not cut down trees in any situation, temp hole, safari hole, etc.

I've never cut down any trees or branches but my plan is to keep throwing discs into them until they come down

One of my friends used a saw on a swiss army knife to saw down a tree in a national forest, got busted, and fined big money.

Seriously playing a course that has no trees is amazingly difficult. Around here there is a course like that on a reservoir and we've nicknamed it the "Wind Tunnel" If the wind is 3-5 mph everywhere else you can count on it being at least 30 mph at this particular spot. I've seen discs do things they physically should not be able to do.

wow.... unless you have those plastic drain tile things wrapped around the yearlings (and if you hit these trees with your disc and you're not just throwing into the ground they are yearlings not saplings) the punishment of relatively sharp edged plastic would bring them down in no time anyway.... disc golf with out trees may as well be throwing discs out on a soccer field.... (ultimate frisbee?)

if you need to ask if it's cool, it usually isn't

actually no, If you need to ask if it's cool, your being a good person

No, if you need to ask if it's cool, and you've already done it, it ain't cool. If you need to ask if it's cool, and you HAVEN'T already done it, you're being a good person.

One of my friends used a saw on a swiss army knife to saw down a tree in a national forest, got busted, and fined big money.

Seriously playing a course that has no trees is amazingly difficult. Around here there is a course like that on a reservoir and we've nicknamed it the "Wind Tunnel" If the wind is 3-5 mph everywhere else you can count on it being at least 30 mph at this particular spot. I've seen discs do things they physically should not be able to do.

Defiance? Just gotta learn how to play the wind :hfive:

go bitch at each other on LAIM.

Fixed