• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is It Me or the Disc?

kitjv

As a beginner player, one of my basic practice objectives is to throw the disc flat & straight. With a RHBH throw, I have noticed that the Mako3 discs that I just started driving with tend to fade to the left toward the end of the flight. Is this a characteristic of the disc or inherent in a RHBH throw? Or is it just simple "operator error"? Thank you.

I've not thrown a Mako3, but for RHBH, all discs will want to fade a little left as the finish if they are given adequate height.

But, if it is fading hard, it's probably nose up which will make pretty much any disc dump hard left.

Discs thrown RHBH will have a left finish, some more pronounced than other's depending on numerous factors. Flight numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt. I assume that's what you're asking about.

Is this a characteristic of the disc or inherent in a RHBH throw? Or is it just simple "operator error"? Thank you.

It's all three. From the numbers (5 5 0 0) the Mako looks to be an easy disc to throw. I suggest you have someone critique your form. Even a noodle arm like me should be able to handle it.

Discs can lose their fade after breaking in. Suggest you try some base plastic (like DX) as it can break in much more quickly, and I've personally never had a disc in premium plastic that completely lost its fade. You can also buy used discs that are already broken in, if you're lucky.

I have played with a lot of beginners. Left "fade" for a beginner throwing RHBH is perfectly normal. The spin of the disc dictates that the disc will fall left, once the disc speed and spin speed slow. Despite efforts to throw your disc flat, you are likely still releasing the disc on an angle, as well. A Mako3 is a fine starter disc. I would suggest that you start watching some videos designed to help the beginner and build up your form and arm speed. Progress is sometimes slow. Be patient and enjoy the process. After nearly 4 decades of playing, the walk, the nature and the company remain the highlights of each round.

Is this a characteristic of the disc or inherent in a RHBH throw? Or is it just simple "operator error"? Thank you.

It can be all three but almost every disc will fade left on RHBH/LHFH and to the right for RHFH/LHBH. The fourth number on Disc, if it has a set of four printed, is the fade and the higher the number, the sharper the theoretical fade. Beaten in discs may fade less.

On top of that, higher speed disc tend to fade more if thrown slower than intended. Disc thrown upwards in will tend to fade more, which is useful for certain scrambles back onto the fairway. Discs thrown nose up will alway fade more. I'm sure I'm forgetting to add scenarios.

The important point is, if all discs fade, then if the fade is a acceptable percentage of the range of distance. This will be individual to every disc.

Discs known for going flat (mako, buzz, etc) can absolutely fade but I would say if it's more than 10 feet left for every 100 feet forward, you'll likely need to examine your throwing style. Some midranges are popular in part for their fade (like certain versions of Roc).

Latest posts