• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Is it more about the number of molds or total number of discs for you?

Spike Hyzer

Birdie Member
I used to carry 25-28 discs but have been working my way down to less and less and am playing better because I am more confident in my shot selection. My 20 disc setup is as follows:

D1 (x2)
D2
Crank
PD (x3)
FD (x3)
XXX (x2)
Hornet
Buzzz (x2)
M4
Zone
P2
PA4
P1 - putting putter

I see a lot on mold consolidation and my question is:

Is it more about the number of total discs or number of molds that makes people more confident in their play and why?

I prefer fewer molds. Each mold releases a bit different. Fewer molds, more consistent releases.

I agree with Listen2. 90% of the shots I throw are with 5 molds some with multiples in different stages of wear.

I agree with Bob, but for me it is both.

I like to carry as few molds as possible, while carrying a small(ish) number of actual discs w/in each mold. Example:

My Bag..

1 PFN Champ Orc- Max D disc(370-415 and anything over)
1 Monster- Stupid stable, utility
2 Firebirds Glow CH and 11x-Glow Ch is all things thumbers, exclusively thumbers. 11x is beat to SNOT and near TB stability, ol faithful
6 Teebirds Ch/Star assortment-Anything from Firebirdesque stability to really flippy, most of my work. I find that if I carry anymore than this I start second guessing disc selection (As in, which Teebird)
5 Rocs- BB Roc3, JL Roc3 and 3 DX...once again, meathook in the BB all the way down to beat stingray type flippy. (Anything from about 280ish to 330ish, sometimes more)
3 Aviars-DX for putting only, DX for driving only, and an R-Pro for upshots and tricky any putts.

That's six molds, and I could drop the monster in favor of the Glo Ch FB but the Monster is just kinda more my style for what I use it for.

A 5 mold bag would be verrry do able for me, and honestly a 4 mold would be manageable, since I can get 370 out of a TB.

In conclusion, I like fewer molds, and fewer discs w/in each mold.

EDIT: I should mention, I'm playing some of my best golf ever right now. Can't help but think consistency helps.

Seems like mold minimization is about being trendy imo. I throw whatever works for the shot I'm looking for, not a way to carry 4 rocs 4 tb's and 4 ds.

I can definitely see the fewer mold argument and why that is superior. I haven't been playing long enough to get wear cycles going in molds that are appropriate for that.

However, my potential issue with the 3-4 discs per mold in wear stages, is that if I lose a disc then that could be an issue since another may not be at that wear stage. I've been planning my bag to have discs that I can buy pretty much brand new that do what I want. Sticking to higher end plastic so that they stay that way for as long as possible.

Once I've played for longer and I have some beat OS discs in star or similar plastic, then maybe I won't be using the more neutral brand new molds anymore...who knows. But at the moment I try to identify what I need (generally a neutral/slightly US plus an OS disc at each speed category), and try to match distance/feel for each of them so they aren't crazy different. It definitely takes me a couple weeks before I'm confident with a disc though, so I definitely see the downside.

for me its both. fewer molds, as said already, increases confidence in the molds and consistency in your release. but also number of discs. too many discs and I have no room for the beer!

Less is more. I don't cycle anymore since I only throw premium plastic in all but putters. Down to 10-11 discs in the bag, with spares as backups.

Bag consists of 3 drivers, 2 fairways, 2 mids, 1 short approach disc(putter), 3 putters(main, long, wind).

Last edited:
I don't plan for wear, but I also don't carry a lot of molds or discs. 9 max at any given time, and that's one disc per mold. Only exception to this will be when I pick up a soft Envy. I will carry two Envys at that point.

To be fair though, even in my limited selection, a lot of my molds overlap in flight path. I tend to like straight stable discs, and bend them how I want them to go.

Seems like mold minimization is about being trendy imo. I throw whatever works for the shot I'm looking for, not a way to carry 4 rocs 4 tb's and 4 ds.

possibly trendy but it does make a lot of sense. From my obsvations, limited selection and number of discs seems to improve most player's games.

I'm about fewest number of discs. I never carry more than one of each distinct mold in my bag. (Unless I feel like carrying a couple Ions for putting practice)

Regular bag is about 4-5 discs.
Full = 7-8
Tourney = 10-12 (including multiple practice putters)

I carry 10 discs which are all different molds except 2 putters. On any day I may or may not carry one of those mids and drivers so I often roll with 8 discs. I am planning for a few of these to wear in so we'll see how things change over time.

Setup is:
Wraith
Starfire
Teebird
AR Mantis*
Drone*
Roc3
Comet
Zone
Ion (2x)

I say throw what works for you and trim the fat once you've worked out some kinks. I've been playing just Comet/Ion rounds to work on my form and game, although I haven't played in weeks because of this confounded rain! :(

I don't really carry backups so maybe if I get really into competition play then I'll invest in some.

Time is a good point, but it really doesn't take long once you find a disc you throw all the time. Eventually, you'll get another and know what to expect as it beats in. And, the longer it takes to season, the longer it will stay in the sweet spot.

My struggle is bagging just 3 of any one mold. Any more and I'm a head case on the course. But I don't give too much thought to mold numbers. I just don't wanna lug more than 20 discs around.

Whatever gets you the lowest score and/ or what's the most fun. That's the whole point right?

I totally get the 'fewer mold' mentality. For ME personally, I carry a bunch but they are all very similar but do different things, this way I dont have to over/under conpensate thinking about which Buzzz/Roc is this one, is it the flippy one? The stable one? Has it beat in more? Has it changed? etc.

So my M series is basically like me having 4 rocs in different stages of wear, but as these discs wear they will still be different from each other, my M2 will always be more OS than my M3 or M4, etc.

I do admit I could do away with about 3-4 discs in my bag, but I like what I have and it's part of the fun, and I like to support multiple brands, so I love my Roadrunner, Valk, Firebird lineup for speed 9 type drivers, good distance but still controllable and can handle a majority of DG course tee shots. But I also love having the Surge, Pulse, Flick, basically same thing but they are faster than the Innova's I carry. There is a shot that is more for the Surge than my Roadrunner or Valk, even tho they are comparable.

My D series is straight max D for whatever the shot calls for, I usually just throw the D4.

My Stiletto is for fast OS shots, forehands and skips. so i neeeeed that.

If I had to I would carry only:

Pa4, Pa3, M4, M3, M2, Drone (mids are important to me) F7, F3, Road, Valk, Flick, D5, D4, D3 Stiletto.

that's my version of a minimal bag, haha

a handful of nuke os in different stability and an aviar is all i need. im rated 975 and climbing too

Latest posts