• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it Worth it to mark up a Disc?

Keith H

Eagle Member
To play a sanctioned event I know you have to mark your discs, but...

When I started buying discs I began adding my name and phone. I have yet to recieve a call on a decent discs. I have printed small under the rim, large, GIANT, all over the back plate, all over the front plate. Only a couple of calls on cheap, beat discs.

Thinking of not marking with anything but a small identifying mark. Because it does not matter, if I lose it I never get it back anyway.

Anyone else decided phone number etc is not worth it?

I've found lots of discs over the years. If it has a #, I always call (yes, call instead of text, you hear me kids who are afraid of talking to people?). If the disc has no #, I sell it or give it away.

If you don't put a # then people can't call even they wanted to.

Yup. I just use my initials now. Sometimes I'll throw my PDGA number on it in small writing too.

To play a sanctioned event I know you have to mark your discs, but...

When I started buying discs I began adding my name and phone. I have yet to recieve a call on a decent discs. I have printed small under the rim, large, GIANT, all over the back plate, all over the front plate. Only a couple of calls on cheap, beat discs.

Thinking of not marking with anything but a small identifying mark. Because it does not matter, if I lose it I never get it back anyway.

Anyone else decided phone number etc is not worth it?

I rarely get phone calls on discs that I have lost... but when I do I am PUMPED.
Most often I don't even ask for the disc back. I just like to know that there are some folks out there that like to do the right thing.

If you have confidence that you will never get a call back on anything you might lose...opt for the small indicator.
I still mark every one of my discs with initials and phone number. It never hurts unless you decide to resell/trade

I stopped after a while, too. There was one instance where I could have gotten a disc back but I probably would have had to pay shipping, so I didn't worry about it.

Found a nice DX Dragon today without ink today...
I know someone is really bummed that they don't have their chewed up floating disc right now.

There are some discs that I want to have the chance to get back, I make sure those have my phone number. Others which are less likely to be lost (like putters) or that I just don't care that much about getting back, I'll just put my name

I've had enough returned to me that I continue to put first name, last name and phone number on the inside rim of my throwers. I only don't if it's something that might not make it into the bag, and if I do want to sell or trade one off with my ink it will usually come off with enough isopropyl alcohol and elbow grease.

Losing plastic is part of the game.
What's really awesome... yes I said awesome, is finding one of your own
lost discs.... months or years later.

I found a few of my old soldiers in a pias last week, they had all been parted with voluntarily but it was good to see them again. Wish they were in someone's bag though.

I found a few of my old soldiers in a pias last week, they had all been parted with voluntarily but it was good to see them again. Wish they were in someone's bag though.

Nice.
They will get there.
It's funny how discs travel. I have a 2005 BellSouth Open/ Bowling Green Kentucky champ TBird that I found walking my dog 5 miles from the nearest disc course and half a mile from any road.

I still mark my discs... cuz you never know.

I've lost a lot of discs but have only had one call back and that was from a soccer mom that found one of my discs in a practice field. I just write my PDGA # in small font now.

I haven't inked any of my discs. Then again, haven't lost any (yet) either so far. Couple of close calls during winter (tree kicks + deep-ass snow = not good), but so far so good. Have found discs and either left them in the lost disc bin if the course has one or called, but the dude didn't want his disc back anymore. Begs the question why ink if you don't want it back in the first place? And of course, my friend, who does ink his discs, has lost four discs in the time we've been playing, not a peep regarding any of them, so again what's the point question could be raised.

I mainly don't ink a disc, especially if I am thinking of selling it down the road.

I generally carry a DX driver or two for shots with a high risk of loss. After I've had it a while, I usually mark it up with name and number, figuring it will get lost eventually, but has given good enough service that I'd like it back. Got my Banshee back the day after I threw it in the lake, and that is the only inked disc I've lost to date. :)

Just inked my Firebird last night, as I have been throwing it all spring, and like it a lot. $7.99 seems like a good price point for risk to me.

Premature submit there, but I do Mark mine. I've only ever gotten one call back and it was on a disk that I didn't need back. But I always try to make an effort if I find one. Out of dozens found I've only ever not been able to return two.

If I'm not so serious about it that I'm not going to put my number on, I make a huge nerd move and put the deathly hollows symbol on it.

First disc I ever found, here in Madison.... called the number and the guy was in Arizona and had never been to Wisconsin. He said keep it. I lost that disc... lol. Maybe it's in a snow bank in Finland?

Found a nice DX Dragon today without ink today...
I know someone is really bummed that they don't have their chewed up floating disc right now.

Thats funny! I found a dragon today also. Not marked, I tried to throw it but it sucks worse than I do.

I mark the discs I really like on the inside of the rim. Never gotten one back (still hoping my river gets returned when the weeds die down in the fall). I have only ever found one marked disc, I gave the number a call and no one answered so I left a message. Never heard back, but hopefully my lost disc karma went up a little. I think its probably 50/50 a disc gets returned. The better players I know that really like the game all say they call if they find one, but I'd wager some of the players who are just out to goof off and dont really care about the game could probably care less.

I write my initials and number on all discs that make it into my bag. I figure it is better to at least have a chance of getting a disc returned to me should I lose it.

Ive marked up many a discs and just got my first call ever. I really only do it now on "special" discs i just dont care that much anymore. If i lose a disc someone is finding some dope **** :cool: