• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it Worth it to mark up a Disc?

I got a call back one time and the dude found my disc in Canada.......never been.

I would say it's worth it though...just write small on the inner rim. I always try to call if there is a number.

Why not put your name and number? I don't lose many but I love the discs I throw. I'd return your disc if I found it.

huh. At least 1 in 5 of my lost discs get returned. Sometimes the guy who finds it knows me sometimes they don't. Well worth putting the number on there.

I put my name and number on all of my discs.

I don't have a single disc that I think or as collectable, or that I'm holding for later sale, so ink isn't an issue to me. I've had 4 or 5 discs returned so I think it's a no-brainer.

Does anyone put their name and number on anything else they own? All I can think of is those 70's and 80's sitcoms where parents would write their kids names on the underwear that they bought for them haha.

Pertaining to the title "is it worth it"? I won't buy a inked disc. So it depends too on if you are keeping it forever or field testing it?

For some reason I see people with discs listed 9.5/10 on the marketplace but the disc is inked... Maybe they knew right away they aren't going to throw it again but why not wait to throw it a few times before, that's my question?

Is it worth it? Not if your going to sell it, but it is if you ever even want a chance of a lost disc being returned.

Does anyone put their name and number on anything else they own? All I can think of is those 70's and 80's sitcoms where parents would write their kids names on the underwear that they bought for them haha.

I fly radio controlled airplanes and have my name and telephone number on them in case of a radio malfunction or an unfortunate encounter with a tree. So I suppose I put my name and number on things that fly through the air and may get lost. Otherwise, not so much...

I've had enough returned to me that I continue to put first name, last name and phone number on the inside rim of my throwers. I only don't if it's something that might not make it into the bag, and if I do want to sell or trade one off with my ink it will usually come off with enough isopropyl alcohol and elbow grease.

Same here: first name and 10-digit phone # on the inside of the rim has gotten me enough calls and returns that the marks are worth it. Last month I got a call from 1000 miles away, in Texas, for a disc I'm sure I haven't seen in years. I thanked the guy for calling and said he could keep it. Who knows how many dishonest hands it passed through to wander that far? I hope it brings the honest guy some good luck. :)

Well how many of your other possessions do you habitually hurl hundreds of feet across undeveloped park land, possibly to lose them in a briar patch? :p

On the other hand, there are peoplw who are obsessed with their own initials, and monogram everything. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I almost always eventually get a call on my lost discs. Unfortunately, I'm usually nowhere near the finder as I mainly travel around playing tournaments. I'll continue...

Reading this thread reminded me to put my name and number on a few discs in my bag. I have received a call on ~30-40% of my lost discs.

Last year I lost my prized Star Teebird that was beat perfectly. I got a phone call about it right after the round and the guy said he would meet me at the course that Saturday to return it.

I never heard from him again. Thanks a lot, stranger! I'm sure he thinks he "did the right thing" and got a free disc out of it (with my name and number, no less). I should have known better when his number came up restricted and he didn't bother giving me any information.

And that, my friends, is why it pays in dividends to have a cute little doggy to find your discs!

:D

^ Love it, but you need to teach him to mark your lie before he picks up your disc. :p

This darn thread... Read it today and then this happens:

Threw what looked like a great shot off a hill on a 530' downhill monster. newish destroyer flipped flat, carried, then flipped over more than expected and landed about 70-80' right and pin high, in the tall grass.

Walked down there, and found a 2006 tourney stamped Force that I'm sure has some stories to tell, but unless the owner is active on the local FB group where I posted it, I probably won't hear any of them. My newish Star D has less stories to tell, but maybe the new owner will make some 'cause it was as naked as the day I bought it.

I've lost 40+ Discs over the years while playing and have never had a disc returned because I only have ever marked my disc with my nickname Tbolg and also due to my view point on losing discs which is : If you lost a disc and are actively searching to find it , it is currently "Lost", the second you decide it's gone and no amount of searching will yield your lost disc it is officially "abandoned". Why would I expect to get back a bike I just decided not to recover from anywhere but my own property. I have always felt the same goes to my own discs. Not to mention I don't like to just give out my digits, never answer random numbers either. Might be a credit collector >.< .
As far as others discs I too will offer any found discs to new players in my groups and allow them to make the effort to call the number ... But normally I'm playing with an expiernced group of players so I give a call or txt .

Now that I'm a dgcr member I write for example: Tbolg 173g DGCR#53884 and write that on the rim 3 times over filling the entire rim. I figure if it's less appealing to others and more personalized the less likely someone is to keep it and or deny that they couldn't get ahold of me in an effort to return it. If they do return it great and if they don't return it great too, growing the sport one lost disc at a time is a great thing. One appealing aspect of helping someone else find a disc besides getting your own group meme era disc back ( which is gratifying, I always hate a group member losing plastic, it sucks) Is the possibility of finding random lost discs. Also disc golf lost discs give beginners more access to new plastic that keeps them playing and possibly inviting others to play the sport as well. All this in my eyes is a huge win win for disc golf and is an exciting uniqueness that disc golf offers unlike other sports.

Last edited:
Personally, I put my name and phone number on every disc before I throw it.

In 20 years I've never sold a disc, and have no concern about marring its appearance, so there's no drawback. I play tournaments, so any discs that make it into my bag have to be marked in some way, anyway. I've had many dozens of discs returned to me, and returned at least 100, so it's definitely been worthwhile. Heck, I've lost discs at tournaments and had the finder bring them to me before the next round.

Certainly, someone with different plans for their discs will weigh inking them differently.

I believe that good Karma comes from returning discs and or attempting to do so. Golden rule of morals holds very true here. I think it'd be a great idea to create a sub forum specifically for lost discs and brake it up by states and country's where the disc was lost...and then promote newer players to join this forum to be able to post discs both lost ad found. I've been playing disc golf for 7 years before even finding these forums. Would have been an asset for its wealth of knowledge to have known of this site since I had first started playing .

Actually, yes. I see a variety of things that people at least put their names on---things subject to being left behind or lost, or mixed up with other people's stuff. Chairs, tools, basketballs, skis, coolers, and so on. Not so often phone numbers, but at least names.

Actually, yes. I see a variety of things that people at least put their names on---things subject to being left behind or lost, or mixed up with other people's stuff. Chairs, tools, basketballs, skis, coolers, and so on. Not so often phone numbers, but at least names.

True but a name only goes as far as differentiating an object and only serves that purpose of identification. Only havinga name doesnt help in having an item returned once lost(assuming the finder of said object isn't willing to look up contact info from said name).

Last edited:
Just having a name sometimes helps, if the disc is found by someone who knows you. Discs are lost in a variety of ways, and of course this doesn't always apply. I've lost discs at tournaments, where it's likely the owner either knows me, or will ask someone else who knows me. On a local course in a smaller community, the odds are greater. I own a private course with a disc-eating pond, and half the discs that come out, I know the owners from their name.

Name-only also works where there is a lost-and-found system in place

I was responding to Snicks's post, which might have been implying that putting names & numbers in discs is a bit childish, and something we don't do for anything else. In fact, lots of people do, for lots of stuff, if you think about it.

Latest posts