• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Is my Viking really a Viking?

LBlackburn

Hi,

I'm not really that good at disc golf (even though I've been playing for 16 years). I got a Valkyrie this year and like it. I throw it (RHBH) on average about 275 feet (with some rare throws up to 315 feet) with what I think is a gentle S-curve. But when I try to throw it farther (by reaching back further, or rotating more, or following advice I read) I usually end up turning it over (or maybe just an anhyzer?) and it curves to the right and never comes back--ends up at about 220-260 feet. So, I went to the Innova web site to look for another disc. I can't really throw the very fast drivers, so I tried to go one step up from the Valkyrie. I thought this would be the Viking, which according to the numbers should be slightly harder to turn over than a Valkyrie and should fade harder to the left at the end. But when I throw my Viking with the same throw as my Valkyrie, it turns over immediately and goes way to the right and flies much shorter. I've thrown the Viking a couple of hundred times now and all it does is turn over and go short. In fact, as far as I understand the terms, it is the most understable disc in my bag (including my putters and mids). Is this the way a Viking is supposed to be? I know I am throwing it horribly like everything else, but still....

Thanks for any input.

I'll let people ask more about form after this, but

What plastic is the valk?
What plastic is the viking?

champion valk = more stable than dx viking (while they are new)

I would guess OAT problems my friend.

I 2nd this thought. I'm betting that you're turning your wrist over big time too. If you're turning over a Viking (without OAT), it's going to turn over at distances closer to the 350' mark; not 220'-260'.

If you haven't already, do a search for OAT (off axis torque). There are some excellent threads on this subject that explain it in great detail.

The Valkyrie can resist turning over at distances MUCH higher than you're currently throwing.

I have a 150 valkyrie that doesn't flip that bad.

you need to correct your form, and try some hyzer releases.

\/\/

I have had a Champion Viking 165g and DX Viking 168, both worn at the same level. The DX was much more flippy. Night and day difference. The Champion i really liked. But it got run over by a lawn mower post throw.

I have had a Champion Viking 165g and DX Viking 168, both worn at the same level. The DX was much more flippy. Night and day difference. The Champion i really liked. But it got run over by a lawn mower post throw.

did you have to throw from the largest piece?

\/\/

LOL. it didn't shatter. just had some real big gouges and crazy warpage. Disc Dog was nice enough to let me re-tee. (Newport New DGC - they don't like when you play while they're mowing).

I have a champ Valkyrie that is stamped as a Viking. I bought it to disc up from the valk.

check the pen where it has the weight. Does it say VL?

Thanks everyone.

The Valk is Champion and the Viking is DX as some suspected. (I don't have them with me--I'll look for the "VL" next to the weight.)

I know I have all kinds of throwing problems, but I think I was throwing both discs the same way (badly).

I never heard of OAT (off axis torque), I'll look into it. Thanks. I also realize that the discs aren't supposed to turn over that early. Sometimes they don't. My form is inconsistent. Since I posted, I went out and threw my Valkyries some more. Some of them turned over a lot (and I don't think just due to an anhyzer release), but many of them didn't. I had a few in the 290-310 range that mostly went straight and faded at the end. But I'm getting into new topics for another forum I guess.

Thanks again.

Vikings are also notorious for being an inconsistent mold. Though they err on the side of overstability. I have a 175 viking that flies as advertised, and a 163 that flies like friggin' firebird, both are champ.

But yeah, cranking things over like that sounds more like form issues.