• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is philo bag too simple

For me, my (physical) bag limits me to 17 total discs. I'm not a mold minimalist nor a cycler of molds, but I am always looking for ways to make my bag as efficient for me as possible. And I'm looking to disc down with improved form. Instead of cycling, I might use different plastics in a mold to get different shots from that mold if I need those shots.

Always more than one way to skin a DG golf course...

For me, my (physical) bag limits me to 17 total discs. I'm not a mold minimalist nor a cycler of molds, but I am always looking for ways to make my bag as efficient for me as possible. And I'm looking to disc down with improved form. Instead of cycling, I might use different plastics in a mold to get different shots from that mold if I need those shots.

Always more than one way to skin a DG golf course...

Soon you can cover all speed 7 needs with cycling the Pro version. ;)

Actually I've played better since I put out a few discs, maybe I simply focus more on the throw and form since there's fewer discs too choose from.

The only reason I have more than 5 molds is that it takes time to beat discs in and that I like my Nova for the long putts. Soon it might simply be Harp, Compass, River Pro, Saint Pro & Flow.

Hole 13, "the gorge" at 2017 Wintertime Open: McBeth threw a Gator, Philo a Firebird. Both on the same line, both parked it, but Philo probably needed to adjust his power more-so than Paul, who probably used the same stroke as a normal mid throw. More disc choices, less adjustments needed to the throw, more consistency? I don't know...

Philo's bag, as mentioned isn't simple. 21 discs is more than what 70% of this forum, bag. (according to that small sample of DGCR users who took that poll a few weeks ago.) Philo's got his shots covered, and I dig his simplistic cycle. If I played enough I might want to emulate it (except for my mid lineup!). I love buying shiny new plastic too much for it to ever last long, though.

I think Nate Doss is the guy with the most minimal bag in the top 10 right now. He carries 16 discs (one of which is an OOP XL just for rollers). 2 Challengers, 2 Buzzz's, 1 Wasp, 3 Predators, 2 identical Undertakers (which are starting to cover his beat Huklab Pred spot), and 5 Forces.

That kind of bag would be too simple for me to get by on.

The first paragraph on this post was my only curiosity when I watched the Philo ITB. I have always wondered how he gets away without having a really OS Midrange. Not just a stable champ ROC, but a serious beefcake like a gator, or the millennium mold Jerm and Nate throw (beadless gator). Just as a utility in really windy conditions. It's one of those discs that you may go through 10 rounds without throwing, but you show up to 30 MPH winds and it's a game saver. I understand Philo can use a firebird and take a lot off, but for some shot shapes I feel like not having that go to beefcake mid range is a disadvantage, but if Philo has not felt a need to add it, then I would assume he has decided easing up on a firebird works better for him.

Other than that I think his bag is as complex as one would need to throw every shot type. Someone said earlier he does not throw rollers and if that's true I would argue that is certainly a disadvantage relative to his competition. There are a lot of disc golf holes where the roller is a much higher % shot than a turnover.

1: How good a players scores has little to do with his bag. Give Philo Discraft discs and a week to practice and you wont see a difference in his scores. Archer > arrow.

2: I am not a fan of the "same mold in different stages of wear" tactic cause of one simple thing, it's harder that way to replace lost discs. The older they get, the harder they are to replace. I prefer having 3 different midranges that have different stabilities out of the box.

3: if you are a long time player and have tons of used discs lying around anyway, then I dont see why not use some beat up ones. But I would not write it on my forehead like some people here seem to chant it like a mantra. Everybody has to find his own preferance. I have a mixed bag atm, some discs are understable cause of the mold, some cause of age. But I fera the day I lose one of the age-understable ones^^

Hole 13, "the gorge" at 2017 Wintertime Open: McBeth threw a Gator, Philo a Firebird. Both on the same line, both parked it, but Philo probably needed to adjust his power more-so than Paul, who probably used the same stroke as a normal mid throw.

I dont like powering down fast discs too much. You can still get skips from drivers that you dont get if you throw putters the same distance. There is a reason for driving putters and midranges.

Last edited: