• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is philo bag too simple

westdisc91

Bogey Member
So was watching Philo in the bag and other pros in the bag is it me or does philo bag seem so simple than let's say Mcbeast or another pro. Yes I do know philo isn't probably playing in like big events like other pros but his bag so simple.

Last edited:
Wut?

You can cover every shot with 5 molds in various stages of wear. Innova is the easiest to do this for.

Destroyers
Teebird
Firebird
Rocs
Aviars

So was watching Philo in the bag and other pros in the bag is it me or does philo bag seem so simple than let's say Mcbeast or another pro. Yes I do know philo isn't probably playing in like big events like other pros but his bag so simple.

He plays in basically all the big events. Yes, he has the simplest bag, but he has every shot with 5 discs. I wish I could do that.

You've got to find that sweet spot of simple, yet covering all the needs. Cost myself a lot of strokes this past weekend by having too many molds and not keeping a consistent ryhthm.

I mean...he's better than almost any player out there, and he's had his share of big wins. He made ESPN...

...so Im gonna say no on this one.

Some would argue that Philo, and guys like him, are doing it right. There can be great advantages to becoming one with the molds you throw.

I could play any tourney in any condition with just an ion and a volt.

His bag is not "TOO" simple.

Also high_fly I would argue if philo threw the PD he could cut down even more molds (get rid of the fb, tb, and destroyers)

I think it's a great setup. I wish I could simply my bag that much. It makes choosing the disc for a particular shot easy. His bag probably has a lot less overlap than most disc golfers (pros included). I think a big reason his bag can be so simple is he doesn't flick a lot. Take a look at Big Jerm, Ricky & Sexton. They tend to carry a lot of molds. Just watch their most recent ITB videos if you don't believe me. They tend to have molds/discs that they just throw forehand. Like Sexton pretty much only flicks his XCals. Jerm pretty much only flicks his Wraith. I watched a Big Jerm interview, he touched on this subject. He doesn't try to carry discs for only sidearm or only backhand, it just naturally happens over time.

Philo is better than >99% of disc golfers in the world, so I'd say he probably knows what he's doing.

Yes I do know philo isn't probably playing in like big events like other pros but his bag so simple.

To put it simply: yes, the dude can hang. He's not the top tier, but I'd argue that seems to be his mental game moreso than his minimalist bag, if you listen to CCDG commentary and also watch his tournament rounds.

I could play any tourney in any condition with just an ion and a volt.

His bag is not "TOO" simple.

Also high_fly I would argue if philo threw the PD he could cut down even more molds (get rid of the fb, tb, and destroyers)

I'll give you the FB and TB, but I'm not quite sure about the Destroyers

I used to throw:

Wraiths
Firebirds
Eagle X & L's
Rocs
Aviars

Great to fine tune your game, but it can be difficult for some, since you're doing a lot of cycling.

You have to each disc and what it can do.

Eventually I just wanted to branch off and just find easy discs (like a Gator).

He also throws cd2s time to time.

But I think that a lot of us naturally have the core of our bags based on only a handful of molds. The basis of my bag(and probably most innova-centric bags carry at least most if these) is aviar, roc, teebird, thunderbird, firebird, destroyer. But that doesn't keep me from carrying an md3, leo3, roadrunner, and pd to fill more specific shots that I can't get/it's too hard to get out of a disc from the core of my bag. Ex.-md3 is 90% forehands, leo3 is for tailwinds, roadrunner for rollers, and the pd is to the thunderbird as the eagle-x is to the teebird for many others(shotshaping ability due to its small turn and hefty fade).

So I don't think that philos bag is much simpler than most of ours, he just doesn't have any discs that r just for a specific purpose like many of us do

It helps that he throws all backhand. I agree it's too simple if you use forehands regularly. The point is: know your game and know what discs work for your game. Philo knows his, and he knows that simplicity is an asset to him, not a weakness.

To those who think that its too simple for a BH and FH type bag I could very well get away with just Destroyers and PDs for my drivers and Roc3s and Rhynos for my Mods and putters, though having a FB, Nova, JK Aviar, PD2, TeeBird, Harp, etc. helps out quite a bit. Honestly I could probably go Destroyers, PDs, Mortars (KC type for cycling), and Rhynos. Basically if I had the chance to hand pick from the entirety of Innova's inventory I could definitely make a bag from 4 or 5 molds.

By Far No Pro...

I am a middle-of-the-road guy who loves the Game....in my experience, most Courses can be tackled with no more than 10 discs..depending on the weather, and what the Course offers, be it open and long or tight and technical...one can pack their Bag accordingly..

Putter-2 (I pack one)
Mid- 2 (1 Under/1 Overstable)
Fairway - 2, maybe 3.
Distance-3, maybe 4

People who like to play guitar get caught up in the instrument ('If I had this guitar, I'd play/sound so much better!') where the real players can make a cheap axe sound like gold...

Just my opinion from the weeds....

Latest posts