• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is putting too easy? too hard? Just right?

Putting is?

• Putting is too easy, narrower basket would be nice on challenging courses

Votes: 90 17.9%
  • Putting is about right, keep the basket size

Votes: 398 79.1%
  • Putting is too hard, Make the baskets bigger

Votes: 15 3.0%

• Total voters
A smaller basket wont change much. It will simply change the range that you need to make 80% from. Right now its 30-35. With a smaller basket it will just become 20-25 or something.

What it will change is the number of aces and throw-ins you see. Which to me takes some of the excitement out of the game.

The first step I think needs to be made is a regulation height of the basket from the ground. I think raising baskets is a bad gimmick and reminds me a mini golf. It might be fun on a casual round. but youd never see a change like that on a real golf course.

Wow. This topic blew my mind a bit. I'm shocked at how many folks think putting is too easy. Maybe it's where I play (Nor Cal) and the courses having a lot of elevation change, even around the greens, but I don't see a lot of people nailing putts at a high enough clip that 'easy' ever entered my mind (myself included). Having said that, my vote went to 'about right' although I almost voted 'too hard' because what has always bothered me about the baskets is that the actual basket (the lower part) is roughly the same size as the upper part. Add that to the way the chains are shaped and it leads to a variable result: you hit the lower third, it's pretty much in, the middle third gets a little more interesting, and then the upper third has you well into 'it might drop out' land. I actually believe that putting is more analagous to a bank shot in basketball than putting on a ball golf course (and I play both extensively). Ball golf is really all about reading the shape of the green and speed whereas the physics in a bank shot is closer to what happens on a disc putt. That's why it bothers me that the 'backboard' (the chains) has/have a variable shape. In basketball, you hit the square with even an average shot and the ball's going in the hoop. That's why that shot's considered 'fundamental'. Tim Duncan's got a hand full of rings to prove it. So what I'd like to see is a set of chains that hung straight down from top to bottom and/or a larger lower basket so that hitting the chains solidly is rewarded the same from top to bottom. ANd the thing is, I'm not even necessarily advocating this for my own benefit. I'm actually advocating on behalf of the beginners. I've introduced a lot of new people to the game and most of them 'catch the bug' but I cringe every time I see them catch a lot of chain and it doesn't reach the bottom of the basket like it should. Then I get to try to explain to them what just happened, although I certainly don't defend it, as it happens enough to me as well. Then I worry they'll get discouraged and leave the game. So I'm with Feldberg on this one. I don't exactly know what the context of the original statement was; was it more about scoring being too low or was it really about putting? Either way, you can make both more difficult with tee and basket positions, which would also get my vote over touching the basket.

In my head, I compare that spit out that Feldberg had to ball golf when you hit too far right or left and the ball loops around the rim of the cup and doesn't drop. Sometimes that's just the way things go, there's only so much we can control as humans. We're never going to create the "perfect" basket (i.e. one that NO MATTER WHAT, NOT EVEN GOD can stop your well aimed and deserved putt from going in), so at some point we need to accept that s*@t happens. For being able to stop in it's tracks a disc going at mach speed off the tee for an ace, I think basket manufacturers have done a spectacular job. Keep the baskets the way they are.

After this past weekend and having 4 putts hit dead center and either hit the pole and bounce back or spit straight through the chains, I would say no. The size of the basket is fine IMO. I would rather see them re-engineer the basket in an attempt to help keep good solid putts in the basket.

IMO, if your putt hits dead center pole and bounces back out, you threw it too hard.

I agree. If this was happening to everyone a good percentage of the time then the baskets would need redesigned. But that's not the case.

The first step I think needs to be made is a regulation height of the basket from the ground. I think raising baskets is a bad gimmick and reminds me a mini golf. It might be fun on a casual round. but youd never see a change like that on a real golf course.

I agree 100% with you, Stover, but as an amateur, it's not something I'm particularly passionate about. :eek:

In my head, I compare that spit out that Feldberg had to ball golf when you hit too far right or left and the ball loops around the rim of the cup and doesn't drop. Sometimes that's just the way things go, there's only so much we can control as humans. We're never going to create the "perfect" basket (i.e. one that NO MATTER WHAT, NOT EVEN GOD can stop your well aimed and deserved putt from going in), so at some point we need to accept that s*@t happens. For being able to stop in it's tracks a disc going at mach speed off the tee for an ace, I think basket manufacturers have done a spectacular job. Keep the baskets the way they are.

Me too, but if Feldberg's putt had less velocity on it when it hit the basket, it would have been more likely to fall in, even though it was off-center. It's the same thing in ball golf: if you hit your putts so that they stop 20' past the cup when you miss, your putts that do hit the cup are still more likely to rattle out than putts aimed to "die in the hole." Designing chains that take the speed element out of accurate putting is a bad idea.

IMO, if your putt hits dead center pole and bounces back out, you threw it too hard.

My opinion too. My guess is that most of the people who complain about the inconsistency of baskets are people who like to putt hard, frozen rope lines with a lot of spin on the disc. As a "pitch" putter who likes to "die it in the hole," I rarely if ever feel like the basket "cheated" me out of a putt by rejecting one that should have gone in. We also have to accept that the "made putt" target zone of a chain assembly is always going to have a blurry, fuzzy edge, with probability playing an inevitable role on that edge.

A smaller basket wont change much. It will simply change the range that you need to make 80% from. Right now its 30-35. With a smaller basket it will just become 20-25 or something.

What it will change is the number of aces and throw-ins you see. Which to me takes some of the excitement out of the game.

To the bolded...you'd never see a change like that, but they most certainly would do it. Difference between ball golf design and disc golf design is they've got the money to make it look naturally occurring. Undulating greens with spines and depressions look like they've been there all along but often they're man-made. And elevating (or lowering) our baskets is as good an approximation of that as we can create.

Ball golfers cut the hole on a rise in the green to make it tougher to get/stay close, or in a depression so balls funnel toward it from different areas of the green. They do it to make players read angles and play slopes, and not always have to simply hit the putt straight at the cup. We don't have that luxury with our shots flying through mostly open air. Obstacles on the green like trees and bushes can do their part to change the approach of a putt, but raising/lowering the target can change the angles we have to negotiate just as easily.

To the bolded...you'd never see a change like that, but they most certainly would do it. Difference between ball golf design and disc golf design is they've got the money to make it look naturally occurring. Undulating greens with spines and depressions look like they've been there all along but often they're man-made. And elevating (or lowering) our baskets is as good an approximation of that as we can create.

Ball golfers cut the hole on a rise in the green to make it tougher to get/stay close, or in a depression so balls funnel toward it from different areas of the green. They do it to make players read angles and play slopes, and not always have to simply hit the putt straight at the cup. We don't have that luxury with our shots flying through mostly open air. Obstacles on the green like trees and bushes can do their part to change the approach of a putt, but raising/lowering the target can change the angles we have to negotiate just as easily.

They can also change the speed of the greens in ball golf with great precision through watering and the height of the grass. I feel this is the closest example to an elevated basket. Elevating a basket requires you to have great speed control and touch on your putt to keep you miss close, a really fast green requires the same. The line between hitting it too soft and not making it there and rolling it 15ft past gets thinner and thinner as the greens get faster.

Or it's a Titan basket. :mad:

You can throw too softly on some of the X chained baskets, where it doesn't get to the pole and chains don't give in enough to let the disc fall in the tray. :mad:

It's just a matter of how much emphasis you want to place on putting.

In golf, stats show us that driving and approach shots account for about 65% of the separation between any two groups of players (i.e. if you have scratch golfers that average 74 and 10 handicappers that average 84, 6.5 strokes will be lost due to the full swing). 20% or so from the short game. 15% or so from putting.

Disc golf doesn't really have a "short game" so maybe the majority of that gets folded into putting - so you have roughly 2/3 of the game for the "shots" and 1/3 for "putting" - IF your target size played as effective as in golf.

In golf, if you make the hole 10' across, basically any ball anywhere on the green will go in, and the percentage separation between players drops. Someone who used to gain 1.5 strokes per round putting against some other opponent is now going to gain close to zero, because the hole is so big anyone can make a putt from anywhere.

As you shrink the size of the hole, the better putter gains a growing advantage - until you get to the point where the hole is too small. Maybe that's 2", maybe it's 3" or the 4.25" we have now… nobody really has measured that side of things. It might not even level off per se - it might flatten out slightly but continue to increase: a 2" hole may benefit those who have the best speed control and green reading and line control.

But generally speaking, the larger the target, the less advantage good putters have over poor ones.

Right now on the PGA Tour:
- Players average about 1.5 putts from 8'. From only 8', they're basically 50/50 to one-putt. That's pretty short.
- From 33', players average 2.0 putts. They're as likely to make as they are to miss. (About 4% of each, 92% to two-putt.)

Putting from various distances in golf looks like this: https://cl.ly/3h0d2N2s3V2F (it's a bigger image so I won't embed).

Now, the trick to determining whether DG targets should be made smaller is simply a matter of doing two things:
  • Making a chart like the one above for, say, 1040-rated players, 1000-, 900-, and 800-rated players.
  • Determining whether you like the chart or not - and if not, what changes basket size would have. Generally, increasing the basket size is going to lead to more putts made and less "separation" from good putters to bad.

That's likely true for the same reasons as in golf - if the basket were huge - nobody would miss from even 20'. Pros would make a few more 70 footers than ams, yes, but how often are they 70' out, and so how many opportunities per round would they have the chance to exercise that advantage? Bigger baskets = less separation, generally speaking.

I honestly don't know what DG's curves would look like. In golf, the hole is SO small that there's not a ton of separation. I think that if the hole were 6" in diameter, that might be the ideal size if you were looking to maximize separation. Good putters would make a lot more from 10' and 15', while poor putters would make barely any more putts. Just an opinion.

In DG, is the basket size right at the sweet spot where putting separates players the right amount?

I don't know.

John Houck talked about how he hates areas from 100-180 feet as well as the 20' or 25' around the basket, because he feels those are basically 2.0 and 1.0 strokes for good players. They don't lead to any separation among good players, and I'd imagine most regular players can get up and down from 120' almost at the same rate as pros.

On the face of it, those distances seem too big. Some tournaments don't even show people putting once everyone's inside 10' - they just let you assume those are gimmes. 10' is pretty far away, and yet at the same time it's pretty close, and most DGers can make those putts the vast majority of the time.

Perhaps as others said above there's more to it than that. Perhaps a DG basket shouldn't necessarily be installed vertically: perhaps, at the discretion of the course designer, a tilt of up to 20° would/should be allowed? Maybe the answer isn't to change the basket or target size at all, but to more clearly emphasize putting from a preferred angle?

I'm not a big fan of the three posts or poles every 120° because someone could be four feet to my left or right and have a completely different looking putt. If the basket was angled 20°, though, those four feet would only slightly change the angle of the putt.

Imagine a basket leaning directly toward you - all you can see (almost) is the top of the basket. Your opponent, who knew the basket slanted this way and played accordingly - sees a much bigger target.

That seems to me to be perfectly fair (everyone plays the same holes), while still increasing the challenge AND reducing the size of that "2.0" zone where two shots is a foregone conclusion.

That said, DD just had a tournament with their Marksman baskets on the course for two days, and IIRC, it affected scores by 2-9 shots. That seems about right, and it lead to more people trying to get their approaches closer. Yes, it lead to more two-putts, but it also pushed the advantage back to those who could truly park shots. Nowadays, if even an 850-rated player gets within 15' or 20', they're feeling pretty good about their chances.

So what's my final opinion? I don't have one. I'd want to see the plot curves for makes, and then debate whether that placed enough, too little, or just the right emphasis on putting. I'd want to consider other options like allowing baskets to be installed/designed on a slant.

Or it's a Titan basket. :mad:

You can throw too softly on some of the X chained baskets, where it doesn't get to the pole and chains don't give in enough to let the disc fall in the tray. :mad:

I've been hearing more of this lately. Do you think, in the effort to make baskets more "catchy," they've made bounce outs of soft putts more common?

Putts are too easy IMO. You can design the green to make the putt as easy or hard as you want it to be, with the right funding. Putting, like fairway design, can be used as a talent separator. Currently, we don't do this much. However, the few courses where we do, are very popular with viewers and players alike. DeLa being the easiest to know.

Get rid of chains entirely. Have only baskets.

Now you would have to control not only line, but also speed and arc.

I know that I will probably get trolled for saying this, but we should modify the greens to be more of a factor into how hard a putt is. Changing a baskets angle reletive to the ground sounds like a good idea as well, but I don't see either of those ideas as valid options for under 900 rated players.

Can anyone devise a change that would make in-the-circle putts harder, yet make outside-the-circle putts easier? I think that would solve some things.

Last edited:
Behold, my power of mspaint!

29qkxzt.png

Can anyone devise a change that would make in-the-circle putts harder, yet make outside-the-circle putts easier? I think that would solve some things.

Done.

attachment.php

Attachments

• BasketCollar.jpg
    BasketCollar.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 148

Latest posts