• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Is the Katana like cheating?

having just discovered Pro Destroyers which on first throw improved my drive from 330 to 385, i'm now kinda interested in giving a Pro Katana a bit of a test run. I know that's still "short" for a destroyer, but an instant 55ft is very very alluring. If the Katana gets me past 400, why wouldn't i throw it?

Thank you Jrawk!! I just won a CTP for all divisions (including Pro) in my last PDGA with a Katana. For a woman, these discs are getting us on a much more level playing field. The Champs and Stars are too stable for most women, I don't know which factor it is, arm speed or amount of flick or just plain power. But a beat Pro Katana is the bomb...and yes it does...very far. How is that wrong???

Someone mentioned technology advancing in sports, it's just life, why not embrace it? Would you play against Rafael Nadal with a wooden racket?

It's a legal disc. You throw it on the course. It flies far. Enjoy the feeling of cheating legal. ;)

No, it's not cheating. Sports technology advances: golf's oversize driver and club heads, tennis' composite/graphite raquets (though I'd play Rafael with a wooden raquet, becaouse it woudn't matter) cycling's breakthroughs with aerodynamics and light weight bikes to go faster.

Now, from a philosophical shandpoint, some might say you'd be better off to work with slow discs to improve form, and so on. I think the big point here is this:

Do you use the Katana as a "crutch" for distance, meaning you don't work on form, or use it for those appropriate holes to gain those extra feet, but still work lines with slower discs when it's really the more appropriate shot?

To each his or her own...I just played a round yesterday, with a few players that are in their late 40's and early 50's. They love the Katana, because on "long" holes it helps. Trust me, all of these guys are good players, with great course management and putting/approaching skills, just the arm has slowed down a bit.

Im an Innova guy, but I saw a friend throw a 400' lazer with a 2nd run Nuke forehand and I tried it...what!? If the Katana is cheating, the 2nd run nukes are cheating.

I think I still work on form with the Katana. I carry three in various levels of beat-in-ness, I've only recently managed to start throwing my most beat in on a straight line instead of turning it over. Me not working on form is using an overstable champ 175 Tee-Bird for upshots instead of a mid-range. :(

This extra distance does intrigue me since the courses i play at have tons of wide open holes that are in the 400 feet range. Currently i can throw about 300 with a stalker and 275 with a comet but would love to try one of these faster understable drivers just for fun.

would you guys recommend a Katana or a Beast?

(don't worry ill still throw my stalker and comet on most holes to keep my form up but want to have a faster disc to mess around with in the field and on days when im sucking anyway)

What other discs are in your bag?
My knee-jerk reaction is to say Beast but the other discs in your bag might sway my suggestion.

Now again this is going to be more for fun and for an experiment but here is my bag that has been disced down

1 DX banshee (for risky shots where i might lose a disc and really windy conditions)
2 champ eagle X (forehand discs)
2 Z stalkers (Backhand driver)
2 X comets (Anything from 100 to 275)
1 ESP buzz (FH mid and overstable BH)
2 SSS magic putters

And soon to be added (in the mail now)
1 Z comet (for strict driving duties)
1 opto River (just to try out for my control driver)

Either the Beast or the Katana would fit well.
The Beast is probably still a stronger recommendation and appropriate for the "discing down" theme of the bag.

Either the Beast or the Katana would fit well.
The Beast is probably still a stronger recommendation and appropriate for the "discing down" theme of the bag.

Ok, thanks

would you suggest pro plastic? maybe ill run down to the local PIAS and see which one feels best and which ones they have available.

...maybe ill run down to the local PIAS and see which one feels best and which ones they have available.

This sounds good. While you are fondling and comparing your discs remember that higher PLH=more overstable, lower PLH=less overstable. In addition to feel, pick one with a stability you want.

This sounds good. While you are fondling and comparing your discs remember that higher PLH=more overstable, lower PLH=less overstable. In addition to feel, pick one with a stability you want.

ah man, now i have to go research how to tell what the PLH is on a disc.... THANKS....:wall:

:thmbup:

Star Katana.....nasty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

be sure to get a domie one as they are better for getting the most flight out of the disc....the flat ones I find better for putting on tighter lines

pro-nice
champion-better
star-cheating:thmbup:

The Katana is definitely not a noobie disc. Maybe a noodle-arm disc, but not a noobie disc. It is pretty squirrelly and difficult to throw....but when you hit it, wow!

I ended up putting my Valkyrie back in the back for the times I need a little more control, but still an understable disc.

But if I need 400 feet on a toss, I've only got one disc with a chance of making it. My other drivers top out at 340-350.

What I really hate about these discs is when a big arm misses the line and you have to go look for it:(