• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Is the Katana like cheating?

I dont really think its cheating I was trying to raise some discussion...when it first came out I remember many on here scoffing at the disc...I have had my longest and worst throw with this disc...in a way it reminds of the SL at times it produces my best throws and at times it just betrays me.

To all you Katana throwers... cheaters:p

Just kidding, but I do have 2 that I haven't thrown. If you still love them in a couple years, hit me up, they'll still be new.

I have had my longest and worst throw with this disc...

I know what you mean. The last three discs I've lost were all Pro Katanas. Sometimes they just get away from me because I either didn't judge the wind right or had a slight angle of release error. I'm starting to get the hang of them though.

Also, I don't agree with the people saying they'd rather learn good form than use a "cheater" disc. I think the Katana rewards good form more than any other disc and punishes bad form. If you have OAT it's going to be impossible to throw this disc without turning it over. It's a hell of a lot easier to throw a Wraith or Destroyer with bad form than it is a a Pro Katana.

I know what you mean. The last three discs I've lost were all Pro Katanas. Sometimes they just get away from me because I either didn't judge the wind right or had a slight angle of release error. I'm starting to get the hang of them though.

Also, I don't agree with the people saying they'd rather learn good form than use a "cheater" disc. I think the Katana rewards good form more than any other disc and punishes bad form. If you have OAT it's going to be impossible to throw this disc without turning it over. It's a hell of a lot easier to throw a Wraith or Destroyer with bad form than it is a a Pro Katana.

Completely agree...why I put the SL and Katana down for a while..

The thing with the Pro Katana is that it is actually quite risky to use it. I do get the furthest distance with that disc, but it's also the most angle sensitive and wind sensitive driver I have. There is much less room for error with it than any other driver I've thrown. If you're off by just 1 or 2 degrees on release your disc could end up 100+' off line. When I hit it right though, it's a thing of beauty.

This has been my experience and is why although I have been carrying a Katana in my bag for a few weeks, I don't think I've thrown it on the course more than five times or so.

For all of you saying, "I'd rather learn good form and throw my Wraith that far," or Destroyer or whatever...How ever far you are able to throw your Wraith, Destroyer, etc. you will always be able to throw a Katana farther. Stop hating on the Katana before I start hating on Rocs and TeeBirds

I won a Katana in a tourney and went to an open hole where I know I only FH 300-320 and bomber the Katana out past 375. It's in my bag now with two more on the way. Only on open bombs though, nothing tight or accurate... yet.

bad advice or not, Frank is finally speaking to the masses. In that case I will throw it in a field. frank does know his plastic.

For all of you saying, "I'd rather learn good form and throw my Wraith that far," or Destroyer or whatever...How ever far you are able to throw your Wraith, Destroyer, etc. you will always be able to throw a Katana farther. Stop hating on the Katana before I start hating on Rocs and TeeBirds

haha, you're so adorable.

These discs still have a huge wing and therefore are more demanding of clean form. You have to get the nose angle correct. They are pickier about OAT. They magnify form flaws. Because of these reasons, beginners (those who do not have a good grasp of decent form) looking for cheap distance will find it but along with it comes an increase of spraying.

I noticed on the Innova website that they described the Katana as being a "finesse disc." At first I was revolted by the description but that really is what these type of discs are... (relatively) high-powered finesse discs. If you do not have your form nailed down and you cannot control the many variables then these discs are not intended for you. You will see some distance increase but at a cost of a twitchier disc.

This is why I traded mine after a week of using it I just could not control the Katana.

That's really bad advice, Frank.

I played dubs tonight with a guy who had only been playing for a month. His friend had hooked him up with a groove b/c he was turning over everything else. His first throw was a flick with about 60 degrees of hyzer on it that dove straight left.

Now I'm wondering if some of the pro's have bad form, they're always throwing a max weight Firebird. I mean, Liz Carr throws a 178 Z Buzz, that is pretty stable. WTH is wrong with MY form if I can keep a straight line with a 170 Pro Katana.

I don't think the definition of form is as rigid as everyone makes it out to be. Regardless of the process to get there, the end result is what matters. There are too many examples of different techniques that cause superior results to list, but I will start with the Rafael Nadal forehand...the whipping motion he does that brings the racket over his head. Different than anything seen before.

Latest posts