• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Is the Roc still relevant?

Is the Rancho Roc still viable?

• Yes

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • No

Votes: 35 14.6%
  • Carrots

Votes: 66 27.5%

• Total voters
The only reason they are relevant is because each thrower of these rocs (could be in the dozens per state), have to order boxes of em to find a couple they like. They aren't going anywhere :p

Isn't that the truth. When Innova was helping me out with plastic I was able to go and dig through boxes and boxes of Rocs. Now that I have started playing again it has been pretty frustrating finding good Rocs. But my hunt has ended with the Buzz and Comet combo.

I put the Rocs aside for Ghosts because I liked the plastic better but they just weren't as stable to me. Currently I'm throwing Tursas/M3/M1 for my mid lineup. I like the M3 as a Roc replacement. March has been a good month to try new mids :thmbup:

everybody around here throws rocs, but most people and myself think the new KC's and DX's suck. Pre flight 12's and older are the best, and and DX sannys I like because they never seem to have the plus mold.

It's still a relevant mold, no doubt. The Innova website might be a little outdated (PMB could verify whether the "player gear" information at http://www.innovadiscs.com/team/star-team/paul-mcbeth.html is accurate), but currently I see every single member of the Star team lists either a DX Roc or a KC Pro Roc among the midrange discs they throw.

A Roc may have more competition now than it once did, but it still does some things better than any other disc out there. And it's only a bonus that it's being molded in fancy plastic.

Carrots? Another TB'er?

After starting out with a buzzz last June, I have added the following mids in this order: Cobra, Ibex, Obex, Drone, Crystal flx Drone. Then finally last weeked, which was really windy, i decided to pick up a couple of KC Pro Roc 12x's to see how they'd perform against the Obex in x-link firm. The two flew very similar and were just as domey as the xl-f Obex. I was really happy with the KC Pro plastic's durability until I switched courses where there are a lot of you trees and their accompanying metal supports. One of my rocs ended up with a nice 1/2" nick on the rim just like what happened to my dx viper when it hit the metal. Up until then the kc pro was keeping up with the xl firm during my three two-disc rounds of roc and obex only.

I'm glad I finally tried out the Roc! It's a great mid that fits my current throw/power. I learned that I can interchange the kcp roc with my xl-f obex, that ignorance is bliss in that I haven't thrown the 11x my friend traded to me, and I'm fine with 12x with flight numbers. I'll definitely be using my rocs for water holes or times when losing a disc is a possibility. My obexes are all unique. My two Rocs, not so much. My only problem now is if I should try out the yellow kcps?

Tl;dr: finally got a couple rocs after trying out a lot of mids with my main mid being an obex- compared favorably, good backup to the obex.

everybody around here throws rocs, but most people and myself think the new KC's and DX's suck. Pre flight 12's and older are the best, and and DX sannys I like because they never seem to have the plus mold.

:thmbdown: plus mold. reason i stopped throwing rocs

Often copied - never duplicated. The Roc has stability and wind-fighting ability without being a meathook, it's accurate and dependable, and it comes in a wide variety of plastics now. I actually like Star because it retains stability but seems to have better glide than the Champs.

Yes it is still relevant. Case in point: the mace. I and a lot of other people ordered these because we heard it was a roc-like disc in Swedish plastic. The roc and its reputation are still very influential.

Roc 3.. meh.. I picked up a cryztal flx buzzz from gotta go . Love it . Straight predictable flight. Great in wind or calm conditions . Im just an amatuer player but thats my opinion . Innova will just continue to upgrade the roc every year . Your not missing out on a whole lot with this disc. Next year will be the roc 4 and then the roc 5 and so on . I will take my buzzz any day of the week and twice on sundays .

Nothing stays on a line like a roc - you can throw it with half power or crank on it and it will do what you want. 2 in my bag plus a roc3 - a buzz ss and a flx buzz too.

Yes it is still relevant. Case in point: the mace. I and a lot of other people ordered these because we heard it was a roc-like disc in Swedish plastic. The roc and its reputation are still very influential.

Whats your opinion on the Mace? Is it a beaded disc or no bead?

In my bag I carry 5 rocs and an m3. I don't think my rocs will ever leave my bag. I have so much confidence with them they feel great. That being said if you had asked me 2 months ago if I would still be throwing destroyers I would have said the same thing but I have switched to giants. I really want to try a zero line hard mace and GL pain. Who knows? I will see what happens. As of now my rocs aren't going anywhere

i've been trying my best to kick ranchos out with buzzes and m3s and RC3s etc. the roc still reigns though. 3 kcs, 1 fresh roc3, and a buzzz. and i could easily let the buzz go...

I got beat (in match play) by Tony Ellis, throwing original Rock molds... I couldn't even recognized the mold. Only loss of the day. Don't discount guys who throw discs that are old enough to have a graduate degree.

Matt

don't feel bad that dude can beat me badly with one leg! now i could destroy him on a mountain bike. dude throws shots i still don't even understand.

for me no ranchos are over. too hard to get and since the roc plus came out the switch over has been clear. people don't like the 16 different molds of rocs.

but they are awesome discs that is why i keep a stash of glow champ hole 7s and ching rocs just incase i switch back over.

the roc will always be relevant.. but ill be honest im not a fan of the new dx or kc pros and the tinkering with the + Mold stuff was just an awful idea.. but i have plenty to last and you can still find the good ones if you take some time.. which i dont mind doing

The bottom line is...IF Innova doesn't produce the Ranchos that the Rancho people like the future does not look good for the mold.