• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is their etiquette on this?

There is no etiquette for this. It's the thrower, not the disc. I'd expect the disc back.

I have never heard of this before. Hell no I am not giving him a disc, he can go buy one.

That happened to my wife and I. We were playing a weekly league and she forgot to put her bag in her car that morning, so she borrowed a couple of my spares, including my favorite, perfectly seasoned 11x Teebird.

As luck would have it, she aced a hole with the disc. What to do with the disc was actually a pretty big dilemma for me as it was crucial to my bag. After much deliberation, and a little bit of arguing, I decided to retire the disc. I borrowed it occasionally for tournaments the next few months until I was able to get another 'Bird seasoned.

I had more of a problem with the whole thing than she did, but I also wanted to give her her trophy. Now we both own it, and it's flying days are over.

If you ever borrow a disc.......ask that question first whether you already have 50 aces or none that way you wouldn't have to ask after the fact. just my opinion

If you loan someone a disc and they ace with it, the ace should be their reward.

Etiquette schmetiquette... depends on who's playing. Random dude wants to try then no, random kid interested in disc golf sure, between my buddies and I with out any ink on it and they don't already have it, sure. My one buddy keeps telling me to skip one off the pad during casual play(something im rather good at, though illegal from where i throw in tourney), I keep telling him if I hit the ace the disc is mine. To date, offered up, 10-15 different discs, no aces but over a handful of metal.

^^^Its a valid ace.

I have some discs I just couldn't part with, but I probably wouldn't be letting someone throw those anyways. Random course rat? No. Disc I don't use? Maybe. Noob friend or relative with no discs? Possibly.

It depends on the disc, The Ace, The friend, The type of round and/or how the planets are aligned that day, If I give the guy the disc or not.

I let a friend borrow my BS Buzzz and he hit the basket. I couldn't see myself giving him that disc but if it was just a stock disc that are easy to find, sure. Only the discs I spend a lot on are worth something to me. I just couldn't give away 30+ bucks though...

The real question should be: Is this a valid ace? As technically speaking it is not the thrower's personal disc.

i've heard of a lot of weird "extra rules" for counting aces, but never this one before.
as long as he threw from his designated teepad and got it in the designated basket and it only took 1 shot to cover that distance it sounds like an ace to me.

And there is no etiquette on this. It's your call of what to do since the disc belongs to you. I'd probably give it to them or let them buy it for a few bucks(especially if it was premium plastic). If it were one of my main discs from the bag then I'm keeping it unless it was their first ace.

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

i've heard of a lot of weird "extra rules" for counting aces, but never this one before.
as long as he threw from his designated teepad and got it in the designated basket and it only took 1 shot to cover that distance it sounds like an ace to me.

And there is no etiquette on this. It's your call of what to do since the disc belongs to you. I'd probably give it to them or let them buy it for a few bucks(especially if it was premium plastic). If it were one of my main discs from the bag then I'm keeping it unless it was their first ace.

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

I have heard this. as far as an ace count, I think I would still call it an ace. but the reasoning behind the rule is that you are not supposed to throw someone elses discs during a competative round and some people only count aces during actual game play.

I have heard this. as far as an ace count, I think I would still call it an ace. but the reasoning behind the rule is that you are not supposed to throw someone elses discs during a competative round and some people only count aces during actual game play.

Speaking of made up rules, there is no pdga rule that says you can't throw other people's discs.

if its me, i let him keep it. unless of course its something rare or pricey. then i would let him take his pick out of my bag for a trophy. but, if its a friend who just got into the sport and canned his first one with one of mine, i dont care what it is, id tell him to put it on his wall.

thats funny because dont the rules say you have to mark it with ink?

"F. All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked in ink or pigment-based marking which has no detectable thickness."

It doesn't have to be marked with your name or even a name at all.