• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is there a disc that has good hss but less lss?

pzacch05

Par Member
Im looking for a disc that is relatively hss where it wont turn over but doesnt fade super hard at the end of flight. something like a worn tb but in the speed 9-10 range. i have a ppd an x avenger and although i like them i think they are a little too stable for what i want and i really dont want to be them in. is there something that starts off like this in premium plastic when new?

People seem to like the new Lat64 Saint but that's just a few testers. I think they'll have more fade then you are wanting. Maybe a Striker. Find one you can throw straight then just beat it up is my suggestion. That fade comes out naturally.

Discmania TD? I think those are straight number wise your actual results will differ obviously.

Last edited:
My experience is that a disc without a lot of fade out of the box generally has a good amount of turn and can beat in to be a bit squirrelly. It's not the answer you want, but taking a nice stable disc and beating some of the fade out (like your experience with the teebird) is going to be your best bet. I get really nice lines like that out of a worn in SPD.

I had predator too but edited it since an avenger was too stable for him. Maybe find an OOP elite X one and throw thumbers with it for a week.

never cared for the valkyrie ive given it plenty of chances it just didnt mesh well. i was contemplating lighter avengers seeing as i have a bit of a chubby for discraft plastic i just like it more. i have considered pro orcs and some pds also just wasnt sure. the saint sounds great but it might be a little slow for what i want.

Try a Star/Champ Beast or Orc, They have some flip in them, but it is so negligible if you have good form that it won't matter.

I'd also suggest learning a hyzer flip. that will teach you to throw that shot with a lot more discs, and a hyzer flip will give you less fade in the end.

I love Orcs, so I won't ever say no to an Orc. For Discraft you might like the Flash or Crush. If you try the Crush you might want to try it in X or ESP plastic so it beats up easily. The Flash would be a good choice though.

A little slower maybe, but a Cyclone?

I have a beat in Star Beast that I have used in this slot unitl I started throwing the Cyclone. I throw it in X plastic, so it has even less fade, but I know a bunch of other guys that throw them that swear by ESP.

never cared for the valkyrie ive given it plenty of chances it just didnt mesh well. i was contemplating lighter avengers seeing as i have a bit of a chubby for discraft plastic i just like it more. i have considered pro orcs and some pds also just wasnt sure. the saint sounds great but it might be a little slow for what i want.

If the Saint at speed nine and all that glide is not enough I think you'd be best getting a Predator or PD and just beating the snot out of it.

QOLF, best choice. The recent SOLF are similar but will have a tiny bit of turn. More comfortable in the hand than the Orc, imo. Also, a new Viking will be similar to the SOLF but will develop some turn rather quickly unless you aren't getting it up to speed. Vikings are really underrated.

Do you need the hss because you're overpowering or oating them, or is it for heavy winds?

Krait, P PD, X Pred, TD. I think a Valk will have too much turn for what you want. Good suggestions so far from everyone. The Krait is a little faster than what you asked for but it is what you described flight wise. If thrown on a lower line it can take some power and has a very soft fade at the end.

i like the hss because i like discs that go straight. im a line shaper when i have to but most of the time the shortest path is a straight line between a&b it just fits my game. i like dx tbirds but i have a hard time griping them comfortably (long boney fingers) i perfer speed 9-10 discs as my main disc has always been the avenger ss. ive grown into throwing faster and with good improvement distance wise and my discs have been flying the way they should so im assuming i have decent form. im not ready for warp speeds and i find the control driver class fits my game really well.

I have a beat in Star Beast that I have used in this slot unitl I started throwing the Cyclone. I throw it in X plastic, so it has even less fade, but I know a bunch of other guys that throw them that swear by ESP.

Not to derail the thread, but I just bought an ESP today. I bought an X last week and was pretty much instant love. I hope the ESP is as Glidey. The funny thing is, despite having different weight stickers, my X and ESP actually weigh the exact same thing, 167.9.

An older Z XS will do this very nicely. Good old Z plastic is still very easy to come by and very cheap to procure.

ESP Cyclones are great at this as well.

In Innova, I would throw maybe a Viking. Always had a good vibe with that disc. Easy to throw and keep straight and doesn't exhibit super fade.

With Latitude, I would throw the Striker. Be warned though as some of the earlier Opto runs were VERY stable. The one's I currently have are all very easy to put a tiny bit of hyzer on and stand them up straight with very minimal fade at the end.

Then again, you always could just beat a disc in and have it be what you want. Carrying multiples of molds is an easy way to simplify your bag. And when you simplify, you usually take strokes off your game.

An older Z XS will do this very nicely. Good old Z plastic is still very easy to come by and very cheap to procure.

ESP Cyclones are great at this as well.

In Innova, I would throw maybe a Viking. Always had a good vibe with that disc. Easy to throw and keep straight and doesn't exhibit super fade.

With Latitude, I would throw the Striker. Be warned though as some of the earlier Opto runs were VERY stable. The one's I currently have are all very easy to put a tiny bit of hyzer on and stand them up straight with very minimal fade at the end.

Then again, you always could just beat a disc in and have it be what you want. Carrying multiples of molds is an easy way to simplify your bag. And when you simplify, you usually take strokes off your game.

im really leaning towards x avengers if the saint doesnt work out. i really want to try the orc again as i had one awhile ago that i sold because it was too heavy. i like to cycle discs as i am a roc and aviar thrower.

i like the hss because i like discs that go straight. im a line shaper when i have to but most of the time the shortest path is a straight line between a&b it just fits my game. i like dx tbirds but i have a hard time griping them comfortably (long boney fingers) i perfer speed 9-10 discs as my main disc has always been the avenger ss. ive grown into throwing faster and with good improvement distance wise and my discs have been flying the way they should so im assuming i have decent form. im not ready for warp speeds and i find the control driver class fits my game really well.

Gotcha. Unfortunately in that speed/category there really isn't something quite like what you want off the shelf. Your best bet may be to beat in something truly overstable like the Pred...although an FL might get you close. SL isn't a bad choice either but they do have a small amount of turn when you lay into them or have high winds. Everything that is speed-overstable or truly stable in a higher speed has a pretty heavy fade. From the vids I've seen, the Saint doesn't look like it'll fill this slot at full power...I should know by Thursday. :)

Definitely consider picking up an OLF of some variety. Tad more fade than what you want maybe, but they are fantastic drivers. If you're getting them up to speed and have good snap, the fade won't be terrible. About the same as the PDs I've thrown and seen, but more hss.