• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this a Foot Fault?

My concerns I would have with this proposal (use some sort of marker to be stepped on)
a) safety - Stepping on something moveable to throw could be a safety hazard
b) speed of play - There has been a trend to tweaking the rules to keep play moving. This takes a step backward in that regard
c) Difficulty in placing marker in various scenarios. I have thrown more than my share of discs into bushes, sides of ravines, etc. I have a hard enough time getting my foot on the lie (and retrieving my thrown disc). Placing a marker (and stepping on it) in these locations would be near impossible.

It's not childish, it's correct. You have not given any video of photographic evidence that illegal jump putts have been performed. They have all been perfectly legal shots. Your opinion on the matter does not matter.

It is not my opinion, it is a fact. It can plainly be seen in the pic that he is in the air with the disc in his hand. Fault. You can disagree with that, but that does not make your opinion a fact. It is a judgement call of a self officiating sport.

I personally have no problem with it.... And I have no major problems with the current set of rules. This idea however, alters the "play it where it lies" precept that many hold sacred.

That idea, "play it where it lies", is a established 500 year old idea. I did not name the sport "disc golf", but it is called "golf", and if you want to make a different sport, then name it a different sport.

Like it or not, this game is connected to ball golf for as long as it is called golf.

No one would argue if someone took a complete step past the marker, then threw their putt, it is a fault. The problem is, take Feldburgs pic for example, someone is a inch off the ground from taking a complete step past the marker releasing the putt. While technically legal by todays rules, it should be frowned upon.

Here is another pic. The video doesn't show the feet. Still, the guy is obviously leaning way beyond the marked lie at what, 30 feet away? This is just plain silly.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-05-02 at 9.42.29 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-05-02 at 9.42.29 AM.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 15
My concerns I would have with this proposal (use some sort of marker to be stepped on)
a) safety - Stepping on something moveable to throw could be a safety hazard
b) speed of play - There has been a trend to tweaking the rules to keep play moving. This takes a step backward in that regard
c) Difficulty in placing marker in various scenarios. I have thrown more than my share of discs into bushes, sides of ravines, etc. I have a hard enough time getting my foot on the lie (and retrieving my thrown disc). Placing a marker (and stepping on it) in these locations would be near impossible.

a) I have very weak ankles from tons of sprains in soccer etc so I am very sensitive to this.Walking a course, I tend to roll my ankle at least once every 4-5 rounds. If the marker is a floppy rubber material, I just do not see the safety concern. There are tons of dips, rocks, sticks, roots, etc that we traverse in almost every run-up to throw. It think the real concern related to this is maybe liability.....if someone does hurt themselves driving, they could blame the PDGA for having to step on something. I'm not a lawyer - is this a valid concern?
Another issue is that the marker might tear or shred during the round.

b) Maybe add to the rule that you could use your disc as a marker and would have to contact that with your plant foot during the throw? This would help in short putts.

c) I do not see how this is any different than the same problems occurring using rules as they read today. Maybe adding the stipulation mentioned in b) would help ease this in some situations?

I'm still not convinced there is even a "jump-putt problem". Rather, I believe there are just people that have a problem with jump putts. Usually, it's the folks that don't use them pissing up a storm because they are getting beat by guys that do.

Here is another pic. The video doesn't show the feet. Still, the guy is obviously leaning way beyond the marked lie at what, 30 feet away? This is just plain silly.

So, because you think it is silly, it should be illegal? Got it.

You better not even lean forward when you are following through on your fairway shots, cause it is just silly.

I think your screen name is silly. You should be banned.

Yes, it is not illegal, but it certainly should be.

Here is a silly visual reference.

I don't think you know what "certainly" means. Because, there is nothing certain to me about why it should be illegal, except that you think so.

I am not against the jump putt technique.
I am against having your hip past the marked lie when you are 30' away from the basket.

Why?

....and if you're only 30' out, a jump putt is illegal. The circle is 10m, or roughly 33'.

Why?

....and if you're only 30' out, a jump putt is illegal. The circle is 10m, or roughly 33'.

Why? Because you are, depending on your heigh, getting 3-8' closer on your putts.

And you seem to be concerned over 3', so...

(*yes, you stepped right into that one... pun intended :D )

So you must have a huge issue with 3 point jump shooters in basketball then. :\

Why? Because you are, depending on your heigh, getting 3-8' closer on your putts.

And you seem to be concerned over 3', so...

(*yes, you stepped right into that one... pun intended :D )

Wow! I want to meet the guy that can extend 8' closer to the basket.

So are you also going to want to make the tall people illegal because they have longer arms and can reach closet to the basket?

Wow! I want to meet the guy that can extend 8' closer to the basket.

How tall are you?
Now stretch your arm into the air, how tall is that?

Now one person is standing straight up at the marked lie, and one is falling towards the basket, how much closer is that person?

yup, 3-8'

Latest posts