• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this a foot fault?

chowee21

Par Member
Is this a footfault?

filled blue circle is the basket
green circle is the marker
red lines show a perpendicular line from the center of the basket to the center of the line and in front of the marker.

The debate we have had was there is an infinite radius going outward from the basket.

So looking at the picture, is standing like this a fault?
PLEASE CITE YOUR SOURCE

He is behind the circle, but he is in front of a perpendicular line draw at the front of the marker.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 95
802.04 Throwing from a Stance

D. Putting.

Supporting point contact closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc after the disc has been released is a stance violation.

No Fault.

802.B.2: "Have no supporting point in contact with the marker disc or any object (including the playing surface) closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,"

Based on the above, I believe that the blue circle in the diagram should be drawn relative to the rear edge of the marker disc rather than the front edge as shown.

No fault.

802.04.B
When the disc is released, a player must:
Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the lie; and,
Have no supporting point in contact with the marker disc or any object (including the playing surface) closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,...

The rear edge of the marker disc is some distance R from the target. A circle is defined as the set of points a given distance R away from a point. Anything inside the circle is closer to the target. Anything outside the circle is farther away from the target.
That's pretty much all there is to it.

No fault for all the same reasons cited (a.k.a. the rule book).

Now for the OP, time to provide a source for why that stance would be a fault. Good luck with that, as there's zero support for the red line perpendicular to the line of play depicted in the graphic.

I'll give you that re: JC. As for CK, his "correctness rate" (as a lot of what he espouses as 'fact' is simply his opinion) is quite a bit less.

Since he's a HOF member posting here, I may have given him the benefit of rounding up a bit. ;)

Question for OP:

If you were required to line up behind perpendicular line, does that mean that Nikko cannot square up to the basket? I mean, no straddle putter would ever be able to be square to the basket.

There really is no circle (or perpendicular line). Here is a more literal graphic of the rule. The dimension lines are all the same length. The distance from the target to the toes is greater than the distance to the rear edge of the marker disc.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture copy.jpg
    Capture copy.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 152
The Q&A addresses this as well:

QA 45: Crooked Straddle

Q: A player in my group marked his disc and then placed his right foot about ten inches

behind the mini. He then placed his left foot closer to the hole than his right, but not closer than the mini. Is that a legal stance?

A: Yes. He has no supporting points closer to the hole than his marker, and one supporting point on the lie behind the marker. It may look a little strange, but it's perfectly legal. Applicable Rules 802.04 Throwing from a Stance.

Did not cite source. Answer invalid.

:p

There's your answer. Thanks, Consult.
The Q&A addresses this as well:

QA 45: Crooked Straddle

Q: A player in my group marked his disc and then placed his right foot about ten inches

behind the mini. He then placed his left foot closer to the hole than his right, but not closer than the mini. Is that a legal stance?

A: Yes. He has no supporting points closer to the hole than his marker, and one supporting point on the lie behind the marker. It may look a little strange, but it's perfectly legal. Applicable Rules 802.04 Throwing from a Stance.
I'll give you that re: JC. As for CK, his "correctness rate" (as a lot of what he espouses as 'fact' is simply his opinion) is quite a bit less.

I'll disagree with that. But, hey, it's my opinion. Yet, you cite no correctness rate statistics to support your assertion here.