• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this what's holding us back?

Will playing the National Anthem before tournies grow the sport?

• Total voters
...I can't help but think, holding us back from WHAT..? Courses are going in the ground at an unprecedented rate. Disc companies are throwing new products at us every week. The PDGA and even this site is gaining members daily..I don't see an issue.

^^this right here.^^ We will likely never be televised with the regularity of curling or badmitton, let alone baseball or (american) football. tacking on a war chant for marketing purposes is misguided at best, and a disservice to the anthem itself, assuming one goes in for the whole nationalistic/patriotic chest thumping.

For all we know this may be the absolute apex of our sport right now, with half a dozen film crews working Worlds and putting out mostly awesome product, viewable for FREE I might add, and more new plastic from more new companies than anyone possibly needs. Our little corner of the sporting world will almost certainly not get significantly bigger or more mainstream than it is right now, which is fine by me, and no one should expect ESPN to come knocking just because TDs start flying the stars & stripes.

Besides, everyone knows that drinking/smoking is to blame for stunting our growth. :eyeroll:

What may be hold things back a little bit is the stigma that only potheads, stoners, skaters, and hipsters play. I speak from the groups around me. I play with all types and do not place any stereotypes on anyone, but that doesn't mean that others don't. I have played with guys that look scary with all their tattoos and the way they dress and actually are really nice guys.

I will say this though, when I started playing a weekly league and the 2nd week in a guy decides to smoke pot within our group, that was when I decided that this league was not for me. Not only is it not legal in our state, but to me it is not courteous. I am not worried about second hand smoke like I am from the guys that smoke cigs, but I am not out there to smell that crap, I am out there to play disc golf. That can be done before or after the round.

So as much as I love the game and play it each day, it could be these types of actions and activities that prevent it from taking the next step. But with courses being built all the time, and interest gaining, who am I to say it isnt' already there, wherever there is.

Be careful what you wish for, not everything in TV is awesome...in the sense that you think it's awesome.

Imagine if we held competitive championships on TV back in the 80's

anigif_enhanced-buzz-21532-1334693654-11.gif

But then again...aerobics olympics would still get better ratings...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-18397-1334680774-22.gif

I dunno guys. Since this is a single-shot sniper kill of the one thing holding us back, do we wanna risk it with a Hendrix version? Maybe something like Polyphonic Spree would better communicate that we are a community. Or maybe teach DG to kids so that we have a ready made choir. People love kids singing.

I dunno guys. Since this is a single-shot sniper kill of the one thing holding us back, do we wanna risk it with a Hendrix version? Maybe something like Polyphonic Spree would better communicate that we are a community. Or maybe teach DG to kids so that we have a ready made choir. People love kids singing.

zam, this is one of those ideas thats just too good for the world. like frankensteins monster, unaccepted and shunned. i just dont think most people understand.. A childrens choir... mind blown.

zam, this is one of those ideas thats just too good for the world. like frankensteins monster, unaccepted and shunned. i just dont think most people understand.. A childrens choir... mind blown.
Thanks man! I think it'd be great for the sport, they'd be like human shields for our image.

Ok. Fine. I admit it.
* I * am what's holding disc golf back!
By sheer force of will!
The sad part is that yallzies haven't overcome me yet!
Aaaaahahahahahha!

I'm not the only one.
I won't pay to see other folks play. (I would but only for something on the stick golf level of production) Just being honest. (and still waiting for the De La worlds from a couple of years ago, only because I played the course one week before)

As a lot, we are a cheap bunch. Even those of us who are well past college and can afford it, still largely don't care. The wider audience couldn't care less. How many horseshoe tournament video's do you own?
The best line was earlier in the thread. Get more kids involved. That is the true path to growth.

Last edited:
We have one of the top high school marching bands in the world so im not even joking its like a cult disc golf wishes it could be... but YES!!

Latest posts