• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this what's holding us back?

Will playing the National Anthem before tournies grow the sport?

• Total voters
So, we're being held back by not having longer players meetings, everyone standing around with a hand over their heart, awkwardly bored while the TD struggles with a boombox for three minutes to finally launch into a tinny washed out version of the anthem. Yep, sounds about right.

How about a 15 second limit from addressing your disc until you throw? Now that's what's holding the game back. Or at least holding me back from finishing a tourney at a decent pace.

So, we're being held back by not having longer players meetings, everyone standing around with a hand over their heart, awkwardly bored while the TD struggles with a boombox for three minutes to finally launch into a tinny washed out version of the anthem. Yep, sounds about right.

How about a 15 second limit from addressing your disc until you throw? Now that's what's holding the game back. Or at least holding me back from finishing a tourney at a decent pace.

If they want more people playing tournaments they would do something about the speed of play. Many players I know say that is a huge factor for not playing in tournaments. It's one of my main reasons.

Most of waiting time I've dealt with at tournaments had to do with the card in front of mine not being clear or bottleneck holes where discs get lost in tall grass or other shule that require spotters. Granted, the root of the backups could be the lead MPO card six holes ahead of me.

I think at tournaments, people are going to have to accept that rounds are going to be longer than they're accustomed to at their league night, because often every hole has a card on it, and people are going to take more time to address their lie and execute a shot because there's a lot more at stake.

I think 2 rounds/day tourneys are holding us back, a whole day is just too long for most people.

Most of waiting time I've dealt with at tournaments had to do with the card in front of mine not being clear or bottleneck holes where discs get lost in tall grass or other shule that require spotters. Granted, the root of the backups could be the lead MPO card six holes ahead of me.

I think at tournaments, people are going to have to accept that rounds are going to be longer than they're accustomed to at their league night, because often every hole has a card on it, and people are going to take more time to address their lie and execute a shot because there's a lot more at stake.

I never expect a tourney round to go as fast as my casual rounds. But I do believe there are things that could be done, by the TD, PDGA and individual players, that would help speed it up some.

Once we land Slim Jim as an advertiser everything will be better.

macho-man-slim-jim.jpg

Get more spotters. They sure can mark the discs and keep the play moving.
You can only go as fast as the robot. So for that you need to have more spotters.

I never expect a tourney round to go as fast as my casual rounds. But I do believe there are things that could be done, by the TD, PDGA and individual players, that would help speed it up some.

Boy this is so true. My personal favorite was this past tourney. Its amazing how much you are slowed down by 1 player. One guy loved to milk the clock at every throw regardless of if it was a tricky one or a straight forward 150' approach. Walk up, stare at pin. Back to bag...pick up disc. Back to lie, stare at pin. zzzzzzz Almost every throw. :wall:

Get more spotters. They sure can mark the discs and keep the play moving.
You can only go as fast as the robot. So for that you need to have more spotters.

Each player is given a color to match the flag color.
Since usually there are 4 players to a group you need 4 flags
After player throws, spotters place the flag to the players disc.
After player throws, he/she gives the flag back to the spotter.
This could help speed up play.

Here are a couple examples of my point. There are all kinds of little things that everyone can change to speed it up.

Boy this is so true. My personal favorite was this past tourney. Its amazing how much you are slowed down by 1 player. One guy loved to milk the clock at every throw regardless of if it was a tricky one or a straight forward 150' approach. Walk up, stare at pin. Back to bag...pick up disc. Back to lie, stare at pin. zzzzzzz Almost every throw. :wall:

Each player is given a color to match the flag color.
Since usually there are 4 players to a group you need 4 flags
After player throws, spotters place the flag to the players disc.
After player throws, he/she gives the flag back to the spotter.
This could help speed up play.

Latest posts