• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this what's holding us back?

Will playing the National Anthem before tournies grow the sport?

• Total voters

nolangherity

Banned
I noticed that most disc golf tournaments and leagues begin without the National Anthem. I also noticed that all successful, major sports DO begin with the National Anthem.

Is this all a coincedence or has the answer to success been in front of us all this time?

Here is a snippet from Espn about the usage of the Star Spangled Banner in sports.

"This story appears in the Sept. 19, 2011 issue of ESPN The Magazine.

THE FIRST THING to remember is that it's a battle song.

The most memorable lines involve rockets and bombs, and the lesser-known verses conjure "the havoc of war" and "the gloom of the grave."

The second thing to remember? It's a taunt, a lyrical grenade chucked at a defeated opponent. "See that flag still flying, the one you tried to capture?" it famously asks the British. Then it answers: "Scoreboard."

That's why, in a country that loudly lauds actions on the battlefield and the playing field, "The Star-Spangled Banner" and American athletics have a nearly indissoluble marriage. Hatched during one war, institutionalized during another, this song has become so entrenched in our sports identity that it's almost impossible to think of one without the other.

Our nation honors war. Our nation loves sports. Our nation glorifies winning. Our national anthem strikes all three chords at the same time."

Link

There aren't enough spectators at any given event to really justify doing this. When major sports do this (and it's not just America, most countries do this for large events...I've seen it in Germany, Austria, South Korea and Canada myself) it's out of a sense of patriotism as well as an esprit De corps. Something for everyone, including players, to do and bring everyone together.

It might be cool to do it before the first tee - off at the USDGC or something, but in general it's not needed. If it's a larger event, that actually has spectators, generally there are tee times so it would be hard to get everyone in one spot for it anyway.

It's a neat idea, and I applaud you for thinking somewhat outside the box, but no, it's not what is "holding disc golf back." I Don't think disc golf is being held back anyways. Not judging by the amount of people I see on local courses.

Good point that I have not considered up til now.

I gotta see if I can make this happen at my next tourney.

I don't think this is necessary but at the same time I wouldn't mind this going on. I respect the flag and what it represents. I play a tournament every year that plays around memorial weekend and the TD for that event always reminds us what sacrifice went in to us being able to enjoy the freedom of the game. We all take a moment of silence before that tournament. I think adding the anthem would add a lot of formality to a tournament which I am ok with.

Who cares if there aren't a lot of people. The park where I play softball plays it at 6:00 before the start of the games. There are never close to 100 people there. I love having early games. I get a chance to stare at the flag and think about why I love being an American. I think it would be great if it were played at the beginning of each tournament, but I don't think it's what's holding us back as a sport.

With you being in the military and fighting for our freedom, I'm a little surprised at your response Andy. Not saying that negatively. Just surprised.

I can tell you for sure that this gesture will not bring the legitimacy you seek.

We do have the Star Spangled Banner sung during the players meeting at Pro and Am Worlds by Board President, Rebecca Duffy when she's there.

Like Chuck said, sing it at the players meeting. I agree that it's not at all holding us back, but it might add a nice touch to the tourney, and set the right tone before play begins.

I keep hearing the same back and fourth nonsense about the sport being held back. "Is this what's holding us back? No, it's the stoners. No, it's the player's caps and world's. No, it's the fact we don't play the National Anthem. Yadda yadda...."

I can't help but think, holding us back from WHAT..? Courses are going in the ground at an unprecedented rate. Disc companies are throwing new products at us every week. The PDGA and even this site is gaining members daily..I don't see an issue.

I get a chance to stare at the flag and think about why I love being an American.

borat3.jpg

I think people who claim disc golf is being held back want or expect it to be a main stay on TV sports. Or something close to that level of attention from the general public. When it's pointed out that there are currently no spectators and ask where they will come from (because advertisers like to have people to advertise to) they go silent.

Disc golf is growing but will never be anymore than a niche sport enjoyed by a very small percentage of the public.

I noticed that most disc golf tournaments and leagues begin without the National Anthem. I also noticed that all successful, major sports DO begin with the National Anthem.

Is this all a coincedence or has the answer to success been in front of us all this time?

Here is a snippet from Espn about the usage of the Star Spangled Banner in sports.

"This story appears in the Sept. 19, 2011 issue of ESPN The Magazine.

THE FIRST THING to remember is that it's a battle song.

The most memorable lines involve rockets and bombs, and the lesser-known verses conjure "the havoc of war" and "the gloom of the grave."

The second thing to remember? It's a taunt, a lyrical grenade chucked at a defeated opponent. "See that flag still flying, the one you tried to capture?" it famously asks the British. Then it answers: "Scoreboard."

That's why, in a country that loudly lauds actions on the battlefield and the playing field, "The Star-Spangled Banner" and American athletics have a nearly indissoluble marriage. Hatched during one war, institutionalized during another, this song has become so entrenched in our sports identity that it's almost impossible to think of one without the other.

Our nation honors war. Our nation loves sports. Our nation glorifies winning. Our national anthem strikes all three chords at the same time."

Link
Your logical fallacy is Post hoc ergo propter hoc (after this, therefore because of this) also known as False Cause.

whitebreadloaf2.jpg

Typically it's sung with a sound system and someone that can actually sing. It's a hard song to sing. How many DG events have a sound system and someone that can sing? Singing without a sound system comes off very weak. And please, no mass singing of the anthem.

Latest posts