• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this what's holding us back?

Will playing the National Anthem before tournies grow the sport?

• Total voters
I keep hearing the same back and fourth nonsense about the sport being held back. "Is this what's holding us back? No, it's the stoners. No, it's the player's caps and world's. No, it's the fact we don't play the National Anthem. Yadda yadda...."

I can't help but think, holding us back from WHAT..? Courses are going in the ground at an unprecedented rate. Disc companies are throwing new products at us every week. The PDGA and even this site is gaining members daily..I don't see an issue.

I think people who claim disc golf is being held back want or expect it to be a main stay on TV sports. Or something close to that level of attention from the general public. When it's pointed out that there are currently no spectators and ask where they will come from (because advertisers like to have people to advertise to) they go silent.

Disc golf is growing but will never be anymore than a niche sport enjoyed by a very small percentage of the public.

We're being held back? :popcorn:

Very much all of this.

Playing the National Anthem would most assuredly add a touch of class. But a touch of class to whom? I'm out at the course a fair amount and it's always packed with people...and these people aren't necessarily aware of things like tournaments. If we could get these people to come watch, then we'd be in business...

But I digress.

It's not holding us back, but Nolan does bring up a good idea. it would be cool to see this done at the bigger events. Start locally. Make it spread.

At an A-tier I played in Oklahoma a few years back, they actually did the Star Spangled Banner on an electric guitar. Probably the only players meeting I've been to in an empty swimming pool.

Call me Anti-American or what have you...but IMO it would seem a little cheesy and contrived. I agree that there is a time and place to add that touch of class, but I don't think a disc golf tourney calls for that. I mean after all, according to popular belief, aren't we just a bunch of beer guzzlin', dope smoking needle junkies anyway? To heck with the National Anthem, we wanna hear Freebird!! :\

I believe the bigger question this great OP brings up is-- Would Team Trilogy players be allowed to participate or required to plug their ears?

I keep hearing the same back and fourth nonsense about the sport being held back. "Is this what's holding us back? No, it's the stoners. No, it's the player's caps and world's. No, it's the fact we don't play the National Anthem. Yadda yadda...."

I can't help but think, holding us back from WHAT..? Courses are going in the ground at an unprecedented rate. Disc companies are throwing new products at us every week. The PDGA and even this site is gaining members daily..I don't see an issue.

end thread.

That's such an american thing and I dont get it at all. I usually switch channels for all that pre sport ceremony stuff.

lol in north korea pretty sure their "anthem" just plays over the loud systems on a routine schedule.

Ohhhhh canadaaaaa.... (gets sung here alllll the time in the USA at events too :gross: :p)

lol in north korea pretty sure their "anthem" just plays over the loud systems on a routine schedule.

Ohhhhh canadaaaaa.... (gets sung here alllll the time in the USA at events too :gross: :p)

And it's always sung in the angelic voice of the "Dear Leader."

Pretty sure if there's going to be a song before a disc golf event, it will be a Grateful Dead song or some other stoner band.

Call me Anti-American or what have you...but IMO it would seem a little cheesy and contrived. I agree that there is a time and place to add that touch of class, but I don't think a disc golf tourney calls for that. I mean after all, according to popular belief, aren't we just a bunch of beer guzzlin', dope smoking needle junkies anyway? To heck with the National Anthem, we wanna hear Freebird!! :\

How very untexan of you. J/k.

I like it Nolan. I don't think it's holding the sport back but I would like to see it happen.

Thinking back to little league, I don't recall hearing the anthem before soccer or baseball games. They typically didn't have any sound system, but pools typically do have sound systems. I always prefer Hendrix's version. I do recall hearing it most swim meets, but not at USA Swimming meets which is weird. Seems to be team events vs individual events on that part.

That's such an american thing and I dont get it at all. I usually switch channels for all that pre sport ceremony stuff.

I'm American and I don't get it either. Americans don't have much to be singing about IMO but that's a subject for a bad thread in the Landfill.

So if there were international players at said event, wouldn't it be discriminatory to not play their respective countries Anthems?

Latest posts