• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this what's holding us back?

Will playing the National Anthem before tournies grow the sport?

• Total voters
So if there were international players at said event, wouldn't it be discriminatory to not play their respective countries Anthems?

I know at Worlds they do the thing where all the countries have a rep that carries their flag...maybe right before the Hall of Fame ceremony? I don't know if they play anthems though. Japan anthem is really long.

This is ridiculous. The national anthem before events has nothing to do with the success of the sport.

People simply view this as a silly game, not a sport. Adding the national anthem will not change that perception.

This thread is an April fool's day joke 7.5 months early - BRILLIANT! !!

Patriotism and disc golf are mutually exclusive passions. Singing and/or playing "The Star Spangled Banner" before a tournament will do nothing for the sport other than to slow down the oftentimes tedious process of setting the cards and starting the event.

Patriotism is popular now. I get it. It's been that way since 9/11. I'm patriotic myself so I'm a fan. But let's not pretend that singing Francis Scott Key's one-hit wonder -- the tune of which was ripped off from British drinking song, by the way -- has any bearing on the potential popularity of our pastime, to say nothing of how we individually (and personally) feel about the country in which we live.

Wave the flag proudly and hum the tune (if you must), but leave it out of disc golf. It's not that serious.

And if that last is offensive.....

Last edited:
Still waiting for the folks who pitch Wash 'O's or play Corn Hole to lead the way. Might take a minute.

I don't think it is holding the sport back but I also don't see patriotism in the US as much as I see anti American views. It's a shame.

wow a lot of close minded americans in here...

because we disagree we are close minded?

Does saying the pledge of allegiance mean anything? High School kids do not even know the correct words and certainly don't know the meaning.

I have been to so many High School Basketball Games:
"I pledge of allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic where which it stands one nation under God, invisible, and just this for all"

We do have the Star Spangled Banner sung during the players meeting at Pro and Am Worlds by Board President, Rebecca Duffy when she's there.
Up through "rockets red glare" she did pretty good here. :thmbup:

After that (and that's usually where most people start screwing it up), it gets a little nails on chalkboard like, but that could be the audio. :\

this troll thread is 2nd best this week. the champ rock3 beating in, after a few rounds, was a touch better though

Latest posts