• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ISO: Ideas on retrieving floating discs

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I usually end up throwing sticks to make little waves to push my disc towards shore. But I've been in situations where the disc sits in the middle of a calm pond with no wind and only a few things to throw to make a disturbance. What do you guys do to retrieve such a disc?

Swimming lessons
croc-1-web_bkg_tex_laye_37373891_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

I am assuming that this is not the disc "gator" you are referring to...

I've seen a wire hanger, a plastic bottle or two, and a string contraption, but I'd need MacGiver to set it up...

I agree with Broken Shoulder on this. I think it would be more frustrating to see a disc floating that I can't get than to just straight up lose it.

The real dilemma is the non-floating disc that caught a bubble, so its float time is very much in doubt, and retrieval attempts may just cause it to sink.

I recommend hitting it with a large rock, so it disappears and you don't worry about it anymore.

Don't tease yourself with floating discs.
Throw discs that sink and move on.

I agree with this advice, though without the somewhat callous "move on" part.

Throwing floating discs near water is admitting defeat before you even start. When throwing over water, throw something you're confident you can get over the water. If you feel compelled to throw a floater, that means you don't think you can get over. Better off laying up or playing around.

A demented designer very near me created holes with little or no layup, and my confidence has diminished with my skills. Plus, though he provided a short tee, I'm not taking him up on the offer. But I know I'll get the floaters back, eventually.

If it's in the middle of a lake, stop throwing floating plastic. It's an easier loss.

Otherwise, tie an empty water bottle to the end of a golden retriever. Boom.. Floating Retriever.

Disc Gator, Disctreever, Golden Retriever..... Those are all of the disc retrieval devices I am aware of. Disctrrever also has a broom for Teepads.

Ok fine edit wins. Still wtf? Im not bringing along a broom like a damn witch.

Last edited: