• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Issues with a Stencil/Shaving Cream Dye

StevieWraithVaughan

Par Member
TSqojVB.jpg

I just dyed this disc, lat 64 saint GL, it was my first shaving cream dye and overall I am happy with the output. I have done several stencils and never had the spotting, freckling like this dye had from the black stencil, i was thinking maybe the warm dye was too hot and caused some leakage?

I watched/read many shaving cream dye tutorials and think i followed the directions to a T, the disc sat in the dye for 10 hours. I was wondering how to achieve brighter colors, as you can see the red took over and bled alot, the other colors blue, yellow and green were distrubted evenly on the SC bed. Also the disc continued to push the shaving cream off the plate around the edges and i was wondering if this is common or how to avoid it in the future? The tuts never mentioned this.

I am new to this and looked and searched these boards plenty and couldn't find solid answers to these questions, so hopefully those who complain about repeat threads are not offended. Any positive feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I don't dye discs, but really appreciate cool looking ones. Even with the glitches, THAT is a beautiful dye. It also made me grab a line from the movie...

Maude Lebowski: Now, what happened to your face? Did Jackie Treehorn do that as well?
The Dude: Ah, no that was the chief of police of Malibu. A real reactionary.

Sisyphus, thanks I really do dig it, it just wasn't exactly what I planner. The spotting gives it a bit of grunge style

I'm not sure about your spots, but for the SC bleeding alot, just try a shallower bed. Mine always bled far more than I wanted because I was filling the plate all the way so I could smooth it out easily with a yardstick.

I started using less SC in the bed and am much happier with the results.

Thanks roggen,

I figured that might be the ticket. Any suggestion for richer colors? Also my syringes got very globby and didn't apply well any tricks?

That's a very strange bleed pattern. Usually bleeds will happen because the vinyl wasn't laid down flat, there was a crease, or the heat caused the edges to curl up. In the first two you would see more of a spider web/vein and with the heat your lines would not be sharp. I can't seem to understand how you got bleeds underneath your mask unless there were holes in the vinyl.

I have done strictly single colored stencils and never had that problem before. I'm fairly certain there was no holes in my vinyl and I took the time to flatten out all edges of the cut very well before dipping it.

I looked at the vinyl after dying and didn't notice any holes.

Looks like some of the black powder accidentally went on the disc before you laid down the vinyl...wierd.

Yea I've never had that issue in the past my dye wad premixed from previous use and I thought my vinyl was pretty tight just so bizzare spots got under there without streaks from the edge.

Anyone on color enhancing tips? From what I read gold line picks up dye very well but my colors were a bit washed out.

Anyone on color enhancing tips?

Any suggestion for richer colors? Also my syringes got very globby and didn't apply well any tricks?

My only suggestions for richer colors are the obvious ones of using stronger dye mixes and letting it set longer. Also, the more SC you use (and the more it spreads out), the less dye gets to the disc since alot is in the SC that is pushed out, so less SC might help there as well.

In my experience, my SC dyes never seems as bright as my nebula...uh, I mean, detergent dyes ;) so maybe just try another tye dye method...

As for the syringes, I have always used eye droppers which I imagine have a much larger hole for the SC than whatever syringe you were using.

Thanks roggen,

I figured that might be the ticket. Any suggestion for richer colors? Also my syringes got very globby and didn't apply well any tricks?
For the application I recommend avoiding syringes. I prefer to use ziplock style bags like a pastry bag and draw the design that way. I know people have success with the syringes I just find it to be a waste of time when the bag is just as if not more accurate and significantly easier to fill. Biggest downside is material waste, but one bag per color per disc or dyeing session is not that bad imo.

Latest posts