• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I've got blisters on mah' fingers,

whentherainscome

* Ace Member *
and I'm throwing all Helter Skelter!

This is my 6th year playing and I haven't changed anything about my grip since 2011. I developed a blister just above the crease/joint of my index finger in August 2012. It's very uncomfortable to throw mids and drive with putters. Drivers (due to the shallower rims?) aren't a problem unless it's already aggravated. I think Comets are to blame, since I got my first one around then, and the bead sits right in the crook of that joint with my grip.

It's hardened up a lot, I was hoping it would just turn into a callous and I could get back to the business of throwing Buzzzes, but it's still painful after four/five months... Even with playing only once a week, if at all, in the winter. I wrap it with antibiotic ointment at night and I've taken a nail file to it more than a few times...

Any other RHBH have this happen? Solutions that don't involve changing to a fan grip? I've had to change a lot in my game to compensate for this, and my mids mostly sit in my bag unused. :(

What you put a little more of your fingers underneath or maybe even not quite as much.im talking minimal movements just to get that crease off the bead.

Yup! I'll set the bead/rim in the middle of the pad between the two joints, that's the most comfortable place for a mid if I'm not trying to power it, but it still scrapes over this spot as it leaves my hand.

I think I've prerubed myself. But these guys had blisters on the middle finger and could solve it with a bit of tape. The thread pretty much shows the grip I use (2nd grip posted is about spot on). I don't think I could tape my index finger and still throw well.

I have trouble with 1st crease of the index and 2nd crease of the middle fingers. Right where the edge of the rim rests. I have tried various other grips but I can't get the same release. If I plan on playing a lot I have started using heavy duty fabric band-aids on the areas. Plastic band-aids down allow the same release (for me). Last time I went on a discin trip I didn't wear them the first day and my game (and fingers) suffered the next two days.....

i would say, take an actually break! I know its hard but if you keep playing with it, its never going to heal. A week of no dg what so ever could work wonders.

That should be easy with the current cold snap! I dunno if taking 7 days off will be any different than taking 6 days off, but I might not get back out for a couple weeks, looking at the forecast.

You win for thread title and first line!

I wish I had your problem - I have joint ache in my throwing index, which seems a lot more serious than a skin problem. I'm hoping it isn't my parents passing arthritis on to me.

Back when I played competitively I had the same problem. I was playing a tourney in Vegas one year and the skin on my index finger ripped right open and bled the whole tourney. It was freaking painful, I still managed to finish 2nd. My problem area was the same as yours. I experimented with many types of tape and a good quality duct tape always seemed to work well. Taking time off will not help. The only time I stopped having the problem is when I switched to a power grip for every throw.

Many times blisters are a symptom of a "slip" rather than a "rip" or "sling." If you're willing to work on your technique a bit then fixing your timing or pull through "rail" (the path of the disc during the throw) might both alleviate the blisters and allow you to throw with less effort and maybe even farther.

I'm not sure how it a straighter pull will help my problem, but rest assured that I'm working on it anyway!

There were 2 discs I started using a lot when it cropped up, a brand new Ti Buzzz - love the way that thing flips a little before locking into its Buzzz line - and a Comet which I played a couple whole rounds throwing nothing but the Comet unless I was in putter range. Pretty sure it was the bead of the comet that caused a blister to form, and then a callous overtop.

I could see using ducttape if it comes to that, much better than bloody discs!

You could always buy a pro d buzzz beat it in and presto digitization you have a comet..or learn to throw forehand.

Drip a little, I mean a little super glue on your finger. Let it dry and presto! You got a nice hard spot on your finger that won't bleed or blister.

I have the exact same blister problem. Totally caused by throwing mids and putters. It gets bad when I play 3 days in a row or when I throw a lot of mids in a round. Got real bad at worlds playing 5+ days in a row. I've tried tape but it causes an early release.

I will try the super glue before my next tourney to see if that helps.

I sometimes have this problem. I believe it is a slight form issue. But while I'm correcting this, I use either flexible tape or self-sticking athletic wrap (just one layer) and it helps a lot. Then I work on fixing the problem in my form.

I was going to suggest Prodigy and their Easy Release Technology™® :rolleyes: But they're having trouble manufacturing two drivers, let alone any mids or putters.

Latest posts