• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I've got flutter with my putter

Kent18

Bogey Member
Recently got a practice basket with the huge desire to get better at putting. The past few days I have been doing about 100 putts from 15 feet and then 20 feet.

I make on average 84 of my putts from 15 feet.
I make on average 61 of my putts from 20 feet.

Most of my putts from 20 feet (or further) come out of my hand with a flutter/wobble (this also happens when I am driving with my putters too). I putt 90% of the time with my right foot in front of my left. It seems even though I do the rocking technique and try to extend the arm (to shake the basket's "hand") my putts don't generate enough spin to make it there. Sometimes my discs literally flies towards the basked without any rotation.

I feel pretty frustrated getting better from 20 feet and out anytime soon. I have tried focusing on follow through, visualization, more wrist snap, etc.

Has anyone else had flutter in their flight path of their putters? Is that even the problem? I see the pros and many others just laser those shots in from 10 feet to 40 feet out. Where my laser putt is no good more then 15 foot out. I am open to suggestions and willing to try anything.

I just recently start playing again a couple weeks ago and putting was really where I was struggling. I switched from my SS and SSS Wizards to my S wizards it it made all the difference. So I guess what I am saying is perhaps try a different putter out. For me going from extremely soft to stiff really helped.

gateways ratings (s-ss-sss) mean nothing though. never know what youre going to get when you get a stack from them.:wall:

I would play with your grip and release point until the flutter is gone. Try using less of a follow through and concentrate on a quick clean movement towards the basket.

gateways ratings (s-ss-sss) mean nothing though. never know what youre going to get when you get a stack from them.:wall:

Yeah but with these the SSS on I was using was extremely soft and the S ones are black and extremely stiff. I have found the colored Wizards to be pretty consistent it's the white ones I have that it's hard to tell what they are just by feeling them.

The main problem is your release, secondary problem is that you need to bring your release point closer to your body.

It doesn't necessarily take a lot of spin to keep a disc from wobbling, it just takes a throw with a very small amount of spin that is on axis. Any wind will cause wobbly putts to fly really poorly. If you lock any of your fingers on the inside of the rim, those can catch and cause wobble. If the bottom edge of the rim is dragging on the side of any of your fingers, that is another probable cause. The main thing you need to do is be aware of what part of your hand is touching the disc as it leaves, and where you generate the power for your putts.

I use a fan grip for putting. I rest the disc in the crease of my hand and control the nose and wing angle of the disc by moving my middle, ring, and pinky finger around on the bottom of the plate, and my thumb on top. The index finger doesn't do a whole lot for me. I use my palm to push the disc out of my hand and my fingers and thumb add a little bit of power to the shot when the disc springs off my fingers. By having the disc in the crease of my hand and using my palm to generate power and spin, I ensure the disc is rotating on the axis I want. The longer the putt, the more I have to rely on my fingers and thumb to put more spin on the disc, but I always want to start the shot by pushing the disc forward with my palm. The farther you let your release point get out ahead of you, the harder it is to generate power with the palm push.

One final note, controlling the height of your putts is a good way to stretch out distance without adding much power. Attempting to throw low lasers on all your putts isn't a great strategy, although it's an important skill to possess.

your problem might be that you counted all your putts, just relax, thats way too much going on. try standing or anchoring yourself on your front foot, it forces you to put the balls on it to achieve chains, then snap that sucker home..simple always better

Yeah but with these the SSS on I was using was extremely soft and the S ones are black and extremely stiff. I have found the colored Wizards to be pretty consistent it's the white ones I have that it's hard to tell what they are just by feeling them.

gateways inconsistent putters was what drove me away from them.

The main problem is your release, secondary problem is that you need to bring your release point closer to your body.

It doesn't necessarily take a lot of spin to keep a disc from wobbling, it just takes a throw with a very small amount of spin that is on axis. Any wind will cause wobbly putts to fly really poorly. If you lock any of your fingers on the inside of the rim, those can catch and cause wobble. If the bottom edge of the rim is dragging on the side of any of your fingers, that is another probable cause. The main thing you need to do is be aware of what part of your hand is touching the disc as it leaves, and where you generate the power for your putts.

I use a fan grip for putting. I rest the disc in the crease of my hand and control the nose and wing angle of the disc by moving my middle, ring, and pinky finger around on the bottom of the plate, and my thumb on top. The index finger doesn't do a whole lot for me. I use my palm to push the disc out of my hand and my fingers and thumb add a little bit of power to the shot when the disc springs off my fingers. By having the disc in the crease of my hand and using my palm to generate power and spin, I ensure the disc is rotating on the axis I want. The longer the putt, the more I have to rely on my fingers and thumb to put more spin on the disc, but I always want to start the shot by pushing the disc forward with my palm. The farther you let your release point get out ahead of you, the harder it is to generate power with the palm push.

One final note, controlling the height of your putts is a good way to stretch out distance without adding much power. Attempting to throw low lasers on all your putts isn't a great strategy, although it's an important skill to possess.
I really appreciate this. Thanks for breaking it down for me, really helpful. I am going to think through these things when I go out today.

Get your index finger off the rim and put it underneath! I pinch the disc between my thumb and middle finger mostly with the rest of the fingers lightly holding on and resting on the palm lightly. I can release smooth with as much or as little spin as I need and no wobble.

Get your index finger off the rim and put it underneath! I pinch the disc between my thumb and middle finger mostly with the rest of the fingers lightly holding on and resting on the palm lightly. I can release smooth with as much or as little spin as I need and no wobble.

I put my index finger on the bead and I almost never get a flutter. I just can't bring myself to curl it under the rim they never come out of my hand right.

Jay Reading, undeniably one of the best putters in the world, has "flutter" when he putts. So don't beat yourself up too hard over it.