• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Jacky Chen - Winner of 2020 Asia Open

Well Jacky took it down this weekend. There was a player named Ace who pushed him pretty hard and Jacky had a rough start. Scores are up on the PDGA website.
The change in date shrank the player pool a fair bit since quite a few players couldn't rearrange their schedules to travel/play. His round ratings were 946, 1049, 1014, 1027. We'll see where that lands him.
Course was tough though. Not as long as the Asia Open but a lot more technical with a few big boy holes sprinkled in. Wind was pretty steady around 13 mph depending on where you were on the course. There was more shelter inland. Super fun course though, venue was beautiful. Chucking bombs off a hill down to the water with eagles soaring overhead was pretty dope.

Thanks for all of the updates on the ground, Anfield Addict!

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/48668

I think this will drop Jacky down to a 1022 rating, which is still pretty dang impressive for a newcomer to the sport. I think he would still be the highest-rated 6-digit PDGA member.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the updates on the ground, Anfield Addict!

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/48668

I think this will drop Jacky down to a 1022 rating, which is still pretty dang impressive for a newcomer to the sport. I think he would still be the highest-rated 6-digit PDGA member.

My pleasure! I'm relatively new to the TDGA but it's a pretty tight group and they're a lot of fun to play with and there are some really solid players, not just Jacky.
I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures through out the event but I was pretty absorbed in the event and totally forgot.

Should also mention that since that tourney only had one propagator, Jacky's round ratings also might change a lot once the results become official, which I'm definitely interested in keeping an eye on.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3668786&postcount=47

I wish there were more events that were sanctioned here. Quite a few of the other guys w/ PDGA numbers feel similarly. It would be nice to give more opportunities for players to have ratings accurately reflected over the course of multiple events and eventually get a decent field of propagator's out here.

However what we all really are hoping for is that things will settle down enough for guys like Jacky, and other international players for that matter, to be able to make it back Stateside to play some big tournaments.

Trying to recall - how old is Jacky? Was he like 20 or 21 when we last "saw" him at the Asia Open?

Trying to recall - how old is Jacky? Was he like 20 or 21 when we last "saw" him at the Asia Open?

I think he's 23-24 right now. He is planning to do some touring this year starting in Vegas. Not sure what the long term plans are there, I would imagine it's going to come down to, like it does for so many other pros, whether or not it's financially viable. Those Vegas tournaments should suit him though.
Sorry some of that footage is kinda janky. I've got nothing but respect for any of the producers of DG footage, tracking a disc in flight takes some work.

A quick update on Jacky for ya'll.
This weekend saw the Taiwan National Disc Golf Championship take place. In the past this was a PDGA, this year it was not sanctioned. It involved 4 rounds of 18 over 2 days on a very OB heavy course. If you are interested, here is the hole preview video that was shot. There's no clear OB markings in this video, but just about every hole has somewhere that is OB either left/right or both.
Any way last year Jacky shot a 59, 50, 51, 49. He defended his title this year shooting 48, 50, 47, 48. After chatting with some other MPO players we figured that, while there were some minor alterations to the course, it is probably at least as difficult if not more so.
Some of us were wondering if Jacky would still go with the emergence of Omicron and the Taiwanese (especially the gov't) having a pretty hard line stance on anything covid related (ie. masks, quarantines, etc). But at the end of the event he did sound like he's still planning on attending the LVC+ some.

Yes, I'm assuming jetlag has to be a factor, flying halfway across the world the day before. Will probably be more accustomed by the time Wintertime and LVC come around in the next few weeks.